OP-Z encoders POPPING OUT

Tried TE again and received a response a couple of days ago. Apparently They closed my ticket prematurely due to technical problems :frowning: Anyhoo now sending unit back to point of purchase for repair or replacement. I’ll update when/ if sorted

any feedback from them?

Hey folks, it looks like my green encoder is beginning to rise up a bit. Can I ask those who have this issue- does it steadily get worse or is it a quick development once it starts? Sometimes mine is fine and then I’ll notice it’s popped up a bit. Not noticeable visually but I can can feel it with my finger in use. The OP-Z is 6 months old, but have not used it heavily.

i very much doubt it will get better, and i`ll also take a punt on the other encoders doing the same. Thankfully fixing the problem (impossible to think TE were not away of before launch) is simple and far, far cheaper than sending the unit back.

I got this AND DBL trigs :tired_face:

That’s shite. How did it take to trigger the double trigs?

@jim

I saw your plumbers paste post. I have 3 year warranty though, and voiding it to fix one issue when others might occur is a real problem.

If you use some model cement that wouldn’t really void the warranty because nobody could ever tell, because that’s how is built originally… just a tiny touch of it to keep it in, that’s all they do when they build the things.

*Andrew, i was in the same boats but didnt want to waste time/effort/cash just to get another one that will do that same thing a few months down the road. Sadly this is a really common fault but one thats simple to fix (encoders that is).

Hey folks, the fix that @benton posted about in another thread TOTALLY works and works super well. Completely fixed mine.

https://op-forums.com/t/op-z-color-dial-falling-out/14152/16

1 Like

i agree they are always snowed under hiw abiut u hire some more people and i like opz but the build quality sucks the dials are poppin out on mine and my off on sqitch jist fell i havent had this 6 months i complained a bunch and i think they are sending me a new unit, they sent me a new power unit fir my modular 400 when it just stopped working fir no reason one day

Hi, I know I’m a bit late to the party & new to the forum, but there’s a simple fix: re-magnetize the encoders. Take them out (that’s easy if they pop out anyways…) and stick 'em to a neodymium magnet (cheap & small will do). Leave alone for a day or two and voila, your encoder magnets will plop in and stay there.

Had the same issue with 3 OP-Z from Andertons.

Sending back to TE today. The magnets in the encoders have a small amount of glue which is not adhesive.

They’re support has been great and I’m sending back Oplab module too as it’s intermittent.

I have the rumble module too (which I now can’t use without), and that fits and locks perfectly. Hopefully new Oplab gets new locking mechanism.

Have you tried to remagnetize them? That seems like a good idea.

Hi, that’s what I wrote…worked like a charm

Wow… So basically all along is been staying is in the face… The obvious answer nobody thought of…

The encoder wheel has a magnet in the center. Do you mean that needs to be re-magnetized? The magnet has no function in holding down the wheel, it is used to induce a magnetic flow into the encoder IC right underneath. The encoder wheel is glued to the ball bearing. I truly don’t understand your suggestion.

Maybe it is supposed to also hold it down? If he remagnetize it and it is still functioning well then maybe that IS the problem? Maybe it is supposed to do both… Did if people were saying they were popping out allittle at first?

Hi, the blunt answer is: why not try it out and see if it works for you? Now more politely: I actually took out the encoders and yes, the magnet / core inside somehow translates movement into data. However, this doesn’t have to have anything to do with magnetism. I could imagine capacitive encoders. Because yes, IMO the magnet holds down the encoder, it pulls it toward the inner ring of the ball bearing. So, remagnetizing the encoder increases the magnetic pull, ensuring a tight fit. And no, the encoder is not glued to the ball bearing, it’s not physically attached at all 'cos you can easily pull it out. All I can say is that it works for me. Hope this clarifies things for you.

This is the datasheet of the encoder IC used in the OP-Z. It is based on magnetic field changes:

1 Like

Well the magnetic field in magnets are always changing, so it must read the changes from movement not a known constant, that would be rediculous.