OP-Z EXOTIC Connectivity Tricks

so far this is just a concept
but attacking TY24D to gate of op-lab offers some cool functionality. you can play it like a stylophone or a guitar. have track6 repeating same note when trig, and track12 to modulate the note.

you can ground it to the strings of a real guitar and play with a metal pick, and maybe set beat track into trig mode so that when you hit snares of your guitar the beat will progress…

even though its wireless, the radio signal doesn’t have a complicated encoding, so i didnt notice any lag, even by triggering very fast.

2 Likes

trig guitar module
easy to make, no electrical components !

icecream sticks and UV resin

:magnet: neodymium magnet inside, to hold metal pick while in idle.

conductive pick, also modular

works on electric maze principle

6 Likes

trig music box

made entirely out of ice cream sticks and resin.

mouse scroll wheel encoder as trig mechanism.
dont be scared of it, treat it like a rotating button

tx24d is a driver. its a dumb garage door system so battery last a very long time !

back opens battery compartment and replaceable driver chip

receiver is on modular jumper connectors and covered in clear resin

i dont recommend using 3D printing or CNC for this. it took me 6hours to brain storm, design and put together this whole thing. using any type of CAD would have taken 2 days, measuring, slicing and twicking hardware. probably would have lost interest in finishing the project on day1,5

… also its very fun to combine this system with other tricks, like motion track, dmx, photomatic, midi out and more.
i dont think i need playdate anymoreimage

7 Likes

sick inventions from your side all the time.

that’s really inspiring and I like your attitude to finish all of that, even tho it looks bonkers, the ideas are great!!

keep em coming :yellow_heart:

1 Like

thank you Johnny :pray:
i really do hope to inspire people into expending the possibilities of the hardware, why let TE have all the fun ?:joy:

mechanical LFO motion vibrato

i dont have technical drawings for this project.
ice cream sticks are great for consistent size parts.
im sure this mechanism can be improved and can be executed in many ways.

4 Likes

modular radio
made to work with op-lab cv out.
changes frequencies with a knob
can be sequestered or played live

sound track is featured here:

6 Likes

op-z op-bot

it works by controling cv knobs on channel 14. knob 1 right wheel, knob 2 left wheel.

this module attaches to op-lab, and holds op-z in place.

everything is connected via small logic board, 3-5v battery(with bms)
logic board

ice-cream sticks !

:warning: USE fail safe !
send play/stop FC ( Stop), FA (Play) midi commands via bluetooth midi !
my op-bot run away in the middle of the sequence, and it was hard to catch it :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

today my knob fell out again,
so i decide to upgrade it, in some interesting way.

now its the same hight as other knobs.

i took original knob apart and used its magnet.
cylinder from a plastic pen shaft🖊 as new body for the knob.

metal thing on top is just something a find online, and thought it looks cool. there are many kinds of round enamel metal pins on AliExpress :wink:.

glow in a dark paint(dont know what kind), and its all held together with 2component strong glue :muscle:
i like the visual effect. maybe i will upgrade other knobs when they fall out.

…i was still obsessing about that knob 🙇‍♂️
i wanted it to be lit , like all the time.
so i have made this small modular UV lantern.
plugs into midi port of op-lab.

by accident its a bit useful too. glow of the knob shows its previous position, so with infinite encoders you get more sense of the scale.

for schematics of this build refer to the previous project:

2 Likes

ferrofluid has finally arrived today!
it took a very long time :sweat:

… how ever, i dont have sufficient material to make an electromagnet yet🙇‍♂️
could not wait, so i used a servo to see the effect in action.
servo position is regulated and sequenced by op-z op-lab cv1. so first knob on channel 14, moves black liquid left and right.(and anything in between)
code for the servo is here :

demo:

i will update as soon as i figure out them electromagnets :magnet:

4 Likes

wireless motion trigger for op-z (step counter mod)

use a cheapest step counter because they have an easy analogue mechanism inside.
made with tx24d wireless transmitter/receiver, similar to previous projects above.
i run out of small button cel batteries, so im powering it externally for now.
great for walking or when just groove to the beat.
you can make only procession and base trigger, and play live while grooving !

receiver for op-lab:

2 Likes

OP-Z 3d model

made to generate CG images for photomatic and videopack or other graphical projects.

.stl files are in parts. no need for texture skin map. add all parts together and add colors.

full model is also in .xml .stl .3ds .dae .odj .x .mtl format

structure dimensions measurements are within graphical tolerances.
global illumination, v-ray, ambient occlusion.

3 Likes

Hi @FunkyJunky, this looks excellent.
I’m already using two blocks as a mixer for the 8 OPZ channels with a littlefoot script but your version appears to be much more functional.
I’m trying to get this onto my blocks but Roli Dashboard will only pick up files that with the .littlefoot extension. I have put the 3 *.mode files into \Documents\ROLI\LittleFoot\Dynamic but it’s not picking them up, what am I doing wrong please?

1 Like

thanks hughsieman :slight_smile:
once you have littlefoot up and running, than download 2 preset files:
left side mixer and right side mixer.
drag and drop those 2 files into documents/ROLI/LittleFoot/Dynamic_Controls_LE.littlefootModes directory.
than in ROLI dashboard, select Dynamic Controls LE, and click “edit”.

than you would be able to select right side mixer of left side mixer from the list. (or you can even design your own :wink: )
also, you need to install “midiflow” app on your phone. (roli block sends cc 0-127 and for op-z pattern change it has to be limited to 0-15)
download this file and open it with midiflow app. and all cc remapings will match op-z. connect op-z and roli block’s via bluetooth midi to your phone. done
i may seem like a big hassle at first, but once you get a hang of this system, it very easy to make your own crazy custom controllers :wink:
no coding required !

example: this one is for a virtual dj deck

Thanks for the help @FunkyJunky, it’s much appreciated.
Still problems though I’m afraid.

I needed to install the DynamicControlsLE as I didn’t have that option in the dashboard. So that’s installed and I do the following -

Start Roli Dashboard and connect my blocks.
Click DynamicControlsLE and click Edit
I then get into the screen like yours above.
I have copied the mode files into the folder and they show up on the left.
I then select the left block, it hangs for a few seconds and I click ‘left side mixer’ and again it hangs for a few seconds.
I then repeat the process for the right block.
And then I close Roli Dashboard and disconnect the blocks.
But it doesn’t seem to be loading onto the blocks. The layout on the blocks is not like in your video and they both have a multi coloured 5x5 grid, each column a different colour. And it seems to be the same 5x5 grid layout whatever .mode file I choose.
Is there something else I need to click to force it to update the blocks at all?

I have the midi part covered, I think, as I have installed midiflow and can open your midi file in midiflow but haven’t got that far yet.

Cheers

1 Like

hey hughsieman !
you have imported preset files into the ROLI file directory and you can see them in the ROLI dashboard. so that part is good. usually when BLOCK is selected and than select the preset from the list, than it shows on the BLOCK in few seconds. no need to disconnect. its probably some kind of compatibility issue. i use first revision* of ROLI BLOCKS. or maybe they have updated littlefoot in some way. i want to debug the compatibility issue further, but right now i dont have my ROLI BLOCKs with me. this weekend i will be back in my jamm-lab and will be able to use them. sorry for the trouble.

Lightpad Block 1st revision*
Lightpad Block M is 2nd revision*

So brilliant!

1 Like

Hi @FunkyJunky, thanks again for the help and please don’t apologise :wink:

As a developer myself I wanted to give you as much info as possible as I know how annoying it can be when someone says ‘it just doesn’t work mate!’ so I have started from scratch on a different Windows 10 machine.

I have installed the latest Roli Connect (and eventually managed to get the Roli Hardware Driver running).
Installed the latest Roli Dashboard.
Redownloaded your .mode files and put them into the correct location.
I have then started Roli Dashboard, connected a block, selected ‘Dynamic Controls LE’, clicked Edit, and then selected ‘left side mixer’ and it’s the same issue.
My blocks are the newer ‘M’ version.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Sorry @FunkyJunky, I forgot to mention that my blocks are on the latest firmware and I can successfully change littlefoot script in the Apps section and the blocks update with the new layout fine.

Cheers

1 Like

Great ideal here! But how did you figure out to send all those letters and numbers to enter that weird state?

1 Like

I have to say this is the coolest OP-Z thread out there, excellent hacking @FunkyJunky :gear: Super good ideas and you have a flexible mind. Respect!

3 Likes