OP-Z External Input

Ah, thanks, Neils. As far as I understand, my splitters do not simulate a headset but just feed the raw signal in. Indeed, a little converter box or something would be a nice thing! Probably just a few parts, but I am not an electronics expert. I could not design something like this myself but crudely soldering it together should work. :wink: I already see the DIY eurorack version.

Now that we have that mystery solved, my question is which method has the best quality(assuming you have the sample available via all three methods). I would think USB, then 3.5 mm audio jack then onboard mic in that order because there is no digital to analog conversion in the USB method.

After reading the screen + shift technique I immediately ordered the headset splitter cable to get samples from my other pocket operators.:slightly_smiling_face:

bust out that multimeter!

2 Likes

:fire::fire::fire:

For those interested, I can confirm this cable works well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone-Black/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=27I1U1G10VBPL&keywords=startech+headphone+and+mic+splitter&qid=1562365835&s=gateway&sprefix=startech+he%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-3

3 Likes

I’m starting to think this may be a problem with the OP-Z, not these individual adapters. If headset mode works with these adapters, shouldn’t it also work with a plain jack cable going straight in? Or a TRRS anyway.

1 Like

From all that was said here it can’t work with a plain jack going in because it is an output line + mic. You need the correct TRRS splitter and also do the “Screen + Shift” correctly.

There is also the line impedance match. That should be handled by the splitter, but it is not clear if any of the ones mentioned above do that.

1 Like

One last try:
During a Facebook conversation we found out, that it might help to plug-in the splitter AFTER activating headset mode. That wasn’t the case for me, but for another user, who got it working now! :slight_smile:

I’ll try that.

I just tried with the MillSO adapter that @DerNeils got working and it DOES NOT work. This was with a stereo input cable and the adapter was inserted after entering headset mode. I am baffled.

I think recording line levels through the mic input simply is not supported. One interesting thing to try could be to connect a 3.5 mm compatible mic into the microphone in of the splitter.

There’s a video above doing precisely that. The funny thing is, there are at least 2 other people on this thread (myself included) using the exact same adapter but it is not working.

1 Like

Yes, apart from the signal being quite loud, if I do not turn the volume on monologue down, it works. The bastl kastle does not have volume control and it also worked. But it was so loud, that I had to tame it with a bastl dude for good results.

I already thought about resetting my unit, to see if I get the same problems you have. That would then mean it’s a software issue. But i‘m too afraid of loosing the functionality I now have. I really hoped I could show a way for all of us, but it’s really frustrating at this point, to see you people struggling :frowning:

2 Likes

i guess TE is aware of that, hopefully 1.2.8 rolls out soon and I think we‘ll see a new module with SD card support and Sampling IN/OUts. maybe that’s a thing to hold this feature back

2 Likes

at least you could try and wait for an Update with the fam! :sweat_smile:

I very much hope it is a bug that can be ironed out. For what it’s worth, I am fresh off of a factory reset. I have no idea what setting could be toggled to make this work, though.

Solved! I remembered that some plugs didn’t fit so well into the OP-Z’s jack. I have a trrs extension cable, a short thing that came with a waterproof iphone case. I plugged it into the OP-Z, and then I plugged in my y-adapter.

And it worked! First time. I have tried it with two different y-adapters.

So, if you’re having trouble, try this. There seems to be a problem with the jack. It has to fit just right.

4 Likes

Phew, finally!! I’m very happy, your odyssey has ended :sweat_smile: Have fun!

Wow! I just tried sampling from a Mother 32, plugging the stereo cable into the the VCA out and it worked! Strange…I will test it a bit more with other modules.

EDIT1: Wow, wow, wow! Suddenly it works! I have now plugged several modules into a matrix mixer module and feed the mix to the mic in via the stereo cable, taming the levels with the mixer. Just great! So strange that it did not work before…Fingers crossed!

EDIT2: This is very cool! The input can also be routed to the effects using the standard microphone features as DerNeils described. For instance, one could sequence a little synth from the OP-Z and route the input directly back into the effects section. Makes a nice small portable setup.

I also tried connecting a field recorder. Works like a charm now. Can get a good signal from the recorder’s line out as well as headphone out, so sampling from the recorder’s mic as well as the recording works.

Incredible, the new update made this little device even more versatile!

EDIT3: Well …am not sure if feeding the attenuated modular signals directly into the OP-Z is a good idea. What I found is that when overdriving the signal the OP-Z seems to switch into a different mode so that the output is routed thorugh the mic functions, but it is a bit hit and miss and involves adjusting the levels and plugging and unplugging the TRRS connector.

For now I find it best to use the field recorder as a device in the middle (Instrument -> Field Recorder -> TRRS Mic in). This seems a lot safer to me, less fiddling is involved and the OP-Z seems to detect the correct input mode right away. If I connect the cables and switch on the OP-Z it works right away. Could also work with a mixer, have not tried that yet.

EDIT 4: Connected it now to the subgroup output of a standard mixer. Works like a charm. So I think that one is pretty much set for all sorts of recording and sampling conditions.

2 Likes

Which extension is that one?

I have two which didn’t work. Not with a splitter cable, not with the iRig 2, not with a Tascam iXZ