OP-Z External Input

This is really strange. I wonder if it’s as salt_water_taffy says and related to the op-z version (original w different button icons vs newer).

Can people chime in on what version z they are using, and whether a regular TRRS splitter works?

I’m using the current version, with the “new” button design. The only input that works for me is Apple earpods.

I just uploaded a short video on facebook to proof that it is working SOMEHOW… and I am really sorry, if it does not work for all of us :frowning:

I got the OP-Z as soon as it was available in stores. Not the presale-version.

Is it available anywhere other than Facebook?

Not right now.

1 Like

Now also on Vimeo

In the end it took me sone time to find the right starting point for the sample.

Ok! Nice.

maybe it’s a bug because in a previuos OS TE had to reassign or reorder the TRRS settings because of some strange behavior with some headsets!

stranger things 4

1 Like

The question is = am I having the bug, or all of you? :joy: Strange indeed!

yeah indeed

I got sampling to work this morning with the crummy headset that came with my PS4, so there is no issue with the OP-Z hardware. I’m waiting for my adapter to arrive tomorrow, but not holding my breath.

At this point it might be easier to rewire one of the adapters I have.

1 Like

Tried a stereo cable and the signal seems to be fed directly through to the output. In sampling mode, the levels of the input do not register. I am wondering if this has something to do with the input impedance? As it seems, the input is mainly designed for microphones and not for line levels? The manual does also not state that plugging a line level signal into the mic input should work.
Well, this is not a big thing for me, personally, because the USB sampling feature works very well, but on the other hand being able to directly sample instruments into the OP-Z without the need for another device would be quite convenient.

Yes in the end the splitter is just „simulating“ a headset, with the opportunity to feed it with the external signal you like and not just a crappy microphone. The new „screen“+“shift“ option now makes this possible. Since the op-z handles the signal at line level like a passive (?) mic-signal, the input it quite hot and should be tamed before. In this case the monologue has its own volume control, which helped enough.

1 Like

all we need is a pinout and @darenager s Business Model for a lil split box.

Ah, thanks, Neils. As far as I understand, my splitters do not simulate a headset but just feed the raw signal in. Indeed, a little converter box or something would be a nice thing! Probably just a few parts, but I am not an electronics expert. I could not design something like this myself but crudely soldering it together should work. :wink: I already see the DIY eurorack version.

Now that we have that mystery solved, my question is which method has the best quality(assuming you have the sample available via all three methods). I would think USB, then 3.5 mm audio jack then onboard mic in that order because there is no digital to analog conversion in the USB method.

After reading the screen + shift technique I immediately ordered the headset splitter cable to get samples from my other pocket operators.:slightly_smiling_face:

bust out that multimeter!

2 Likes

:fire::fire::fire:

For those interested, I can confirm this cable works well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone-Black/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=27I1U1G10VBPL&keywords=startech+headphone+and+mic+splitter&qid=1562365835&s=gateway&sprefix=startech+he%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-3

3 Likes

I’m starting to think this may be a problem with the OP-Z, not these individual adapters. If headset mode works with these adapters, shouldn’t it also work with a plain jack cable going straight in? Or a TRRS anyway.

1 Like

From all that was said here it can’t work with a plain jack going in because it is an output line + mic. You need the correct TRRS splitter and also do the “Screen + Shift” correctly.

There is also the line impedance match. That should be handled by the splitter, but it is not clear if any of the ones mentioned above do that.

1 Like