OP-Z External Input

I received my splitter cable today and tested it out a bit with a stereo aux and it behaved very strangely. It cut in and out, could be heard at the same time as the mic, headset mode seemed to do nothing, and it’s behavior seemed to depend on the volume of the sample source.

I suspect there is some software in the op-z that is trying to minimize unwanted noise in headsets that is interfering. Will test more when I get home.

i know this doesn’t help at all
but as an innocent bystander
this is one rollercoaster of a thread

14 Likes

I had the exact same trouble, until I tried with an extension cable that fit.

1 Like

My two cents: got a splitter and it works, BUT you need to engage headset mode (shift + screen) BEFORE entering sample mode. It doesn’t work if you try to engage headset mode when you are in the sampler.

1 Like

you need to engage headset mode (shift + screen) BEFORE entering sample mode.

Just tried it, you are right.

Another point… To enter headset mode press screen first THEN shift… It doesn’t work if you press shift first. (I guess if you try both at the same time and you inadvertently press shift slightly before the screen button it won’t engage headset mode - this may explain the ‘randomness’ seen by some people when trying to get the headset mode to engage).

the randomness is because even with all the steps before plugging something in, this doesn‘t work like „plug and play“

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Plug and hope?

1 Like

yeah. hope and plug, plug and hope, unplug and rant. :innocent:

I don’t know if anyone has posted this, but the iRig 1 works as an input splitter(with the new FW).

2 Likes

Should we perhaps do a summary of which instruments we were personally able to sample reliably with which setup (splitters/cables/adapters)? I think the method of sampling - once the hardware is setup and functional - should be quite clear by now.

If we got that information collected, I would perhaps start a new summarizing threat/post with all information that we have right now and edit it from time to time. It probably starts to get quite annoying to go through this whole threat, if you just want to get going :slight_smile:

With my before mentioned setup (MillSO TRRS-Splitter; cheap stereo-patch-cable plugged directly from the instrument into the mic-input of the splitter), I was able to sample:

• Monologue
  • Minilogue
  • Bastl KASTLE
  • MicroBrute

No problems at any point, but I used a bastl DUDE to tame the volume of the KASTLE (here YOU could perhaps summarize reliable workarounds compared to the “usual procedure”, which would for me be: plug everything in; activate headset mode; enter sample mode; (check input by monitoring); sample).

? i‘ve tried it and it doesn‘t work at all!

would be dope.

now is the Time to enable USB Audio recording with a Zoom H6 recorder! please please please make that happen anyone.

got a CCK USB 3 yesterday which also powers the H6 but won‘t allow for a backup recording on its own via USB connected to an Iphone. it Monitors the USB audio fine…

and i wish that it’s somehow possible to enable USB audio on OP-1!! crisp clear

What’s weird for me is I have to enable headset mode (light on) before sampling. I can’t turn it on and off when in sampling mode (light does not change.) Sampling still doesn’t work for me but trying more cable instrument combos.

I think this is the case for all of us. It is not possible to activate headset mode while in sample mode.

ah got it.

I tried it some more last night with mostly no success. I was really tired though so could be some user error.

1. gotta turn headset on mode before ever being on a user sample. If it’s even the current sound when you power on the device, the device will not go into headset mode until you go to a factory sound and reboot it.
  2. I could get sound from the splitter, but it was always monitoring. No turning it off.
  3. Despite monitoring sound, it would not sample from it most of the time. I’d get a sample of nothingness. Other times it worked though.

I’d say this one’s a firmware update away from being usable

I think so too, the inverted signal etc…small bugs and quirks…they tend to drop something fast before it got Heat like on elektronauts, nearly every time

Not the iRig 2, but the original iRig? Resampled some stuff from a dictaphone straight into the irig. Worked like a charm.

1 Like

To be fair: TE never said that sampling via line-in/splitter would be possible. The only sources documented are headsets and USB audio. Of course it’s still strange, that our workarounds don’t just work for everyone.

I used to have issues with dirt in the headphone jack of my phones, could this be the OPz issue?