OP-Z Field confirmed

Oora Music on YouTube said he talked to Jesper directly at Superbooth who confirmed a metal body release coming up!

6 Likes

No wayyy? Any time frame for release?

My favorite Things at Superbooth 2023 - YouTube okay so itā€™s here at 18:46 he says ā€œat a talk they had at the Zaehl stand about the tx mixer am1 the ceo itself said that an op-z field is in the workā€

2 Likes

when i was reading around on the internet this morning i also saw another mention of this which referenced a metal case. its hard to tell from the oora music video when he says metal case if thatā€™s out of his own mouth or then if he is referring again back to what jesper saidā€¦

He says ā€œI would love an opz with a metal caseā€. Maybe he says that because Jesper mentioned that, maybe not. The way he is speaking sounds like he is wishing about the metal case. If he knew it would be a metal case He probably wouldā€™ve said so. I donā€™t care if itā€™s metal or not. The OPz was made to be an affordable and for ease of use. The field version should represent the same idea just refined.
Also who else mentioned it?

i was flying back to sweden from mexico, been traveling 24 hours and now canā€™t find in my search history where i read the mention- it could have just been also they were also referencing the oora music video and now its become a rumor. i will try to write oora later today privately and see if he can say anything more, iā€™ve talked to him beforeā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks for the link! Honestly anything else would be a major disappointment, I mean itā€™s arguably one of their coolest products and one can only imagine the amount of work going into that platform, the Unity integration, DMX conversion, the module architecture, etcā€¦ would be such a shame to throw this all away because of a bad decision on the housing. I hope with the field version the OP-Z will get more love to realize itā€™s full potentialā€¦ like the AI-powered photomatic thingy, etc

4 Likes

This news just made my day!!!

talked to oora in the comments of his youtube video, he responded:

someone asked if they would do an opz field, and another guy of teenage, dont remember the name, start saying that they might consider it of course and while he was talking, Jasper just said " the short answer is yes". To that the other guy said " well, isnā€™t it great that these words came out from the CEO?" :smiley:

6 Likes

I think it is inevitable. The op-z is great, but it feels it could get even better with updates that maybe need an upgrade on the hardware. The architecture is well thought out. There is so much potential in this little beast!

2 Likes

I bet some folks with dislike this entirely far fetched vision that TE would probably never stoop to design-wise but it just dawned on me that an OP-Z field could be made in basically the same housing as the OP-1 Field with a screen, built in I/O etc. Instead of the tape vibe itā€™s the sequencer at heart but benefits from lots of feature updates like stereo, velocity sensitive keys, and a screen for sample processing (I know most donā€™t want an OP-Z with a screen, but I envision the screen helping in many ways like sample management and chopping, not for any real sequencer stuff that could still be handled on the keys)

anyway that would be really great and Iā€™d love it. I wouldnā€™t mind the extra size, durability and features. and Iā€™m sure it would come at a cost, which I would absolutely pay for those features.
The Z is an excellent little songwriting tool, love it!

4 Likes

Iā€™m hoping it becomes real and available by the holidays. Will probably have a screen but something like on the tx-6. Have been curious about the op-z but had an op-1 and it was almost perfect and more than enough. Op-z field, if it happens, should be an amazing device even if just in a sturdy shell and upgraded components. If mildly resembling the tp-7, really amazing.

1 Like

I hope they keep the current form factor, minus the deform factor :wink:

Iā€˜m fully on board with the phone as screen concept, a built-in screen would mean larger battery, which means larger device, etcā€¦

Iā€˜m pretty sure they will make it compatible with the existing modules but have some new killer features, so they can send the OG-Z into retirement for good.

6 Likes

I hope they will not abandon original bended OP-Z model and updated software will be available for it too.

2 Likes

I have been seriously considering finding a machinist that can CNC me an OP-Z body to transfer the guts into. And metal buttons would be neat too.

2 Likes

It canā€™t be a ā€œFieldā€ when the series is finalized with the TP-7.

3 Likes

Exactly, they said the Field series is finalised. To me, who has an OP-Z but barely use it and much prefer OP-1, I think this could be a good thing. The Field series devices are costly, we all know this. To me, OP-1 Field is worth it - but I donā€™t personally have a use case for the TX-6, TP-7 (though I lust for it) or CM-15.

The fact they said field series is complete to me means that the future OP-Z will NOT cost $1799. It will be far closer to the current price point. Still an affordable sequencing powerhouse. This could be pretty great for everyone who loves it.

6 Likes

Semantics. They released a field bag for OP-Z, and a few sources confirm what the CEO said. OP-1 Field isnā€™t really much different than the OG in terms of footprint, just modernized functionality. Also, the three small field releases are using the color scheme of the four knobs on the OP-1 Field, maybe something is lost in translation when they say the Field line is ā€œfinalizedā€.

A good precaution would be to have at least 1700ā‚¬ ready :man_shrugging:t4:

A built in screen and space for two expansion modules to enable use for cv/gate, midi and line audio I/O modules simultaneously, in a high quality enclosure would be ace.

2 Likes

If you decide to go ahead with it Iā€™d pay you to get the necessary info to get one made for myself. Itā€™s a bit disheartening to use it with its current material continuously getting deformed.
Many buttons are harder to use reliably and consistently as well, some staying more depressed, alternatively having less height above the enclosure because the enclosure around it has risen, therefore requiring more force when pressed to connect