OP-Z Line Module 🔥

You can then process that synth through op-z effects and tape track, and no need for a separate mixer unit. Great for portability.

3 Likes

For example as a minimal portable/minimal setup. I have a Shruthi synth that is midi din only, I can play it as a one more synth voice basically and as dhunterrr mentioned you can add reverb let’s say and use it with tape as well. Of course you can use a mixer for this but without is just a bit more convenient.

2 Likes

Also not fully sure if this is possible but my understanding is that you can “cue” tracks while playing so you can create pattern and listen to it in headphones before committing it to speakers - which is great for live situation, but correct me on that if I am wrong.

2 Likes

ok so using external effects on single tracks and using op-1 effects on external gear is actually extremely useful! octatrack does that, do many other sequencers have that capability?

1 Like

Exactly. I’m thinking this will pair really nicely with an Octatrack, or a looper pedal, so you can quickly send a track out to resample/loop it.

2 Likes

Imagine a Monome norns instead of an effect pedal …

2 Likes

IHMO the main advantage of the new module over the OPLAP: It is available (if it’s not sold out) :wink:

1 Like

The mic in on the OP-Z is mono isn’t it? So that’s an improvement for a start, not to mention it being line level.

One thing the video doesn’t make clear is you can set the output level for each track going to the module individually and also the “dry” level for those tracks in the main out. I was hoping it would be possible to use it to add an external unit as an aux send but it wasn’t a given.

1 Like

I’m surprised about some of the price complaints — the cost of an OP-Z plus Line module is basically what you’d pay for a Digitakt or Digitone (~$1000 CAD). Not that the devices are comparable beyond “excellent sequencers with decent sound engines attached,” but I briefly owned a Digitakt and sold it because I preferred the OP-Z’s portability and deeper conditional sequencing. I also found the workflow more intuitive; it feels like I spent three quarters of my time on the DT just browsing samples.

Sampling is one of the more fiddly aspects of the OP-Z so I’m happy to see the I/O situation improve, and I’ll never say no to an effects loop. Anything that makes it easier to run my guitar through the Tape track is welcome to me.

I fully admit that $1000 is a lot of money for a device with notorious durability issues, but the community has found workarounds for most problems, and TE seems to have fixed module connection issues with the current lock mechanism. So I’m pretty on-board with this and can’t wait until I can actually afford one!

4 Likes

Why is this the zm4? What happened to zm3?

2 Likes

I think the opz is closer related to pocket operator and modular then the other products… so build quality follows suit…

2 Likes

The video from Emerging Patterns is nice -

Blofeld is a great companion for the OP-Z, I need to look into getting another one.

4 Likes

Warning to anyone from the UK who ordered one from TE I got hit with £48 customs charge. Ooof.

I wonder what the price for the module will be when it is stocked by UK retailers?

I’m not sure if this charge is correct. I will call ups to check because they also hit me with it! :rage::rage:

I queried this with TE and this was the relevant part of their response:

with regards to custom charges, we do not have any involvement in custom charges, nor do we know how they are calculated. it is possible that there are fees on your order, such as customs handling fees that need to be paid. again, we recommend that you contact your local customs office or local shipping courier office.

we warn of potential customs charges when placing the order, please refer to the screenshot attached to see.

It did mention customs charges for non-EU countries when ordering but £48 is quite a whack.

My guess is this is Brexit-related. Other import goods also have prohibitive charges nowadays apparently.

@stelioskarasgla if you hear anything from UPS please do share.

Hadn’t thought of that, but the charge is correct assuming it’s 20% VAT plus a handling fee from the courier (£18.) I don’t think there would be any duty to pay.

It’s only Brexit related in that the UK isn’t in the same VAT regime as the EU any more, but there’s VAT on all imports into the UK. Many online sellers collect it up front but that also only applies to orders up to £135.

I haven’t looked too closely at TE’s store prices but if they include Swedish VAT then that’s a bad deal as they should be able to zero-rate it for export.

You know what - you could whack it on eBay now and probably recoup that charge while it’s unavailable :wink: Then get one in the UK in May.

the new Line mod is the same price as the yellow one, so id imagine it will be the same price as that from other sellers. Andertons are good for TE gear. Just have to wait a little longer. No idea if that will include the groundlooper.

Below is what TE said on VAT, perhaps I’ve been double charged then…

for goods valued under 135 GBP, we collect UK VAT at point of sale. this is as per the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation agreement.

the value of the line module without tax is 124.17 GBP, therefore we collect UK VAT.

the attached pro-forma invoice shows this breakdown.

you’ve already paid UK VAT on your order, so you shouldn’t be paying that again. we recommend that you contact your local customs office or local shipping courier office, using the pro-forma provided to show you’ve paid the correct UK VAT. they should then be able to remove this charge or refund you if it’s already been paid.

i think you are preaching to the choir cause we all dig opz (for the most part) but…the value you see in opz & zm4 is 100% subjective

imho neither DT or Z (w/line) are really worth 1000 CAD considering the limits and flaws of each

i agree opz is more fun, to me personally, but digitakt should probably be worth more

it’s built like a tank and things possible w/ this line module were added easily as a free firmware update because elektron already had adequate i/o on all units

The product costs below £135 pounds (without VAT) so we shouldn’t be getting charged anything at all…!

The problem is that TE shows the product price before VAT on their invoice to be £149 by mistake! check your invoices. This is what confuses UPS into raising this charge! :rage:

I contacted TE to let them know of this… and I’m waiting now to hear back.

Also I have contacted UPS to explain the problem and ask for a refund.

I will let you all know how it goes

1 Like