Op-z MIDI Thread

Has anyone controlled their OP-Z with a Presonus ATOM SQ? Seems like it could be a pretty nice combo. https://www.presonus.com/products/ATOM-SQ

Hey people. I have been exploring alternate clocking arrangements for my daw, and modular with the oplab module. I have really been enjoying playing with track divisions.

Is there any way to use the oplab to send my modular clock signal to midi clock? It seems as if I need to set each track to 0 to receive clock info from cv. Is there no way to make the entire unit lock to incoming cv trig, or use the unit as a clock pass through? I think using my modular as the leading clock and my daw follow would be the least constraining set up.

Did you ever figure this out. I’d like to only send note events and clock to my external synth.

attach the opz in disk mode to your computer,go to the config/ midi .jason
open it with a txt editor,in order to edit it.
change the CC output numbers on the channel you wish,you can put them all to a CC that your synth doesn’t reconize ( ex: 127 ).

Thank you, I ended up using the ios app to assign the CC to 0. Now I’m exploring a way to mute the internal instrument on just that channel. Perhaps making a silent sample set.

keep press mute mode , press shift , it will lit red ,
press the track you want to mute audio it will lit red ,
now it’s sending only midi data,audio is muted
(be sure to turn off fx on that track or some audio will remain )

2 Likes

Woah that is awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

Hey, has anyone got the OPZ to control the Korg Wavestate?

I have them both plugged into a powered USB hub, hoping to control each of the 4 layers on 4 of the OPZ tracks, but I can’t even get it to make a sound on Global Channel 1.

Pretty disappointed in the OPZ here. I have it working with Logic over USB midi, same with the Korg, but I don’t want to have to have my laptop in the middle of these two to make it work.

was doing the same with a digitone ,4 opz synth track control 4 part on digitone.it works.
wavestate is multitimbral so no reason it doesn’t works.
did you try to plug midi opz directely to the midi WS ? (no hub in the middle)
midi channel setup ?
(tip : disactive CC output on opz or it will send a lot of CC and it’s quickely messy )

Yes that was the first thing I tried. Just tried it again and still nothing :confused:

So guys i have a question. How can i mute a specific midi track on the op-z?

In the manual it says shift + track 1-16 but i don’t get how it works. I can’t select for example only 5 and 10, i only can select for example everything till track 5 is on and from 6 till 16 is muted.

How to fix this or is it just normal to not able to mute individual midi tracks?

Hope anyone can help :pray:

it is mixer + shift + track

they’ll turn red which means internal Audio is stopped, midi not

without the mixer button you’re in the punch in fx

Yeah but with mixer it is only the audio but i want to disable the whole midi track.

So i go into the module settings and then press shift + track 1-16 but then i run into the issue which is discussed above.

See “21.3 midi config shortcuts” in the op-z manual

1 Like

It won’t work. Wavestate is not usb class compliant.

I’d like to sync up pattern changes between my OP-Z and Model:Samples. I think this should be possible with program change messages, right?

I just can’t figure out how to set the program change message sent by the OP-Z. Is there a way to do this?

i believe u just turn on the PC messages
via the app or the midi config file or via the module track shortcuts

then it sends PC msg 1 - 16 for each pattern 1 - 16
i dont think there is a way to customize which message goes with each pattern

1 Like

Hey everybody, my opz doesn’t seem to receive midi in on the lead track. recognized while trying out my new keystep via usb. all other tracks work perfectly. but the lead track doesn’t. no matter which midi ch I connect it to. also tried sending midi notes from cubase. same situation. made a full facrory reset on the opz. same situation. it’s really weird. channel is not muted. there is sound when I hit the opz keys. but when trying to play it with external controllers its not responding whatsoever. Anyone ever experienced that kind of stuff? thanks

And I also tried the “Midi Channel 1 to active track” function without any success…

And it doesn’t matter wether midi is send in via usb or midi in via oplab module…very strange.

[…]Solved! Midi Channel 6 was set to ‘false’ in the midi.json file.Who would have known. Is there any way to change that on the device without entering content mode? This is quite typical for the op-z. without remembering the little hidden functions you can easily get stuck for a bit. it seems to be made for fast results in music making but for full production with tight mixes its rather inefficient in the end. except you use it every day and know the thing inside out…I guess.