Op-z MIDI Thread

Does that mean that you have to restructure your patches on the receiving synths to 1 to 16? How is pc message usage meant to be applied in a straight manner?
How about being able to choose/change program by dial on Z? That way browsing patches on external synths becomes a breeze :clap:t5:

1 Like

well done on figuring out lead midi problem, complete tangent any thoughts on how to connect opz to mpc studio mk2 which is bus powered via rk006 with powered usb hub?

Last two tracks, light and motion… Can anyone confirm these tracks transmit MIDI data? I can get others tracks to send on channels 15&16 but these tracks seem to not send any midi data.

Yes I have used these two tracks for midi no problem.

Currently I actually remap them to midi channel 7&8 but previously had it working on 15&16.

If it isn’t working for you, if memory serves me correctly you might need to hold down track and rotate the blue dial clockwise until the colour changes… (I might be wrong so apologies if that is incorrect)

Apart from missing step components, the only downside I have found with track 15 for midi is you can’t shift the octave up or down after recording as you can with other tracks. Shift + the plus/minus button toggles between lights and step mode.

Just sent mine to the fixers so can’t confirm the above, but hopefully it is helpful. I’ve definitely used 15&16 for midi.

1 Like

Issue was midi.json track enable.

1 Like

I know it’s a very old post, but I have a similar problem where the Kenton MIDI USB host is interfering. it “scrambles” the midi information. It’s “adding” CC messages, which I can see when I check its output to the midi ox monitor.

if I connect my op-z via USB directly to let,s say Ableton live and I do monitoring there, I have no cc messages showing up. My Kenton MUH is a MkII with the latest 2009 firmware .

So it is the Kenton - anyone else with similar problems?

that is indeed strange

do u have any other gear u could test the kenton out with instead of the Z?
maybe try reflashing the firmware on it?
(if thats even possible?)

Thanks. and yes, I did reflash with 2009, but same as before.
OP1 is working so far.
But again, strange that the OP-Z is working elsewhere but not via the Kenton.
That must be the combination of both of them.

Apologies for not reading the entire thread back to 2018, but if using with external gear I’m assuming you can octave down as needed so for a drum part for example triggering an external synth I can step sequencer that on the OP-Z regardless of which notes the other synth uses?

Transposing notes purely for MIDI out is not possible on the OP-Z itself, if that’s what you mean. It will send the exact same midi note value that is played by the sequencer. Or do you mean something else?

So with the kick track selected I can only pick those kick sounds / notes, not transpose below them? (Meaning those are the only midi notes available for external gear while kick is selected?)
But I’m guessing bass and lead tracks and so on I could transpose the full range?
I guess I’m wondering if the transpose buttons work for the drum tracks as well or not. Doesn’t need to be a different note for the internal sound generator than external midi out.
Thanks for your help anyway - but I guess I’ll find out when it arrives too :slight_smile:

Any of the instrument tracks 1-8 can play the full range, each black key represents one octave when you go up/down octaves.

2 Likes

Should the OP-Z be able to pass pitch bend through Midi (either USB or Oplab module)? eg OP-Z as hub connected to a keyboard controller and an external synth. Notes are sent through perfectly, but pitch bends are filtered out. Is this related to the Z still not being able to record pitch bends?

Op-z does not seem to pass through pitch bend messages. :pensive:

i’m trying to sequence my OPZ using an external sequence (Torso T1) via MIDI in on the OPLAB ZM-1 module, but for some reason, I can only play channel six (lead).

If I configure the torso tracks to play any channel, nothing happens, except channel six. I can get all the Torso tracks to play channel six and track six of the OPZ, but can’t get any other channel or track to respond.

if i mess around with the channels on the MIDI config page of the OPZ app, it doesn’t change anything. Even if I take track six and change the channel, it still plays…

what am i doing wrong??

EDIT - SOLVED - somehow all the midi tracks were muted except for track 6… so i unmuted them

2 Likes

heya! got a chance to get op-z real cheap and here is my question.
can i use usb to midi converter (and splitters) to send midi from op-z to external devices?
can i control or sequence just one synth with simple usb cable, without midi converters (going from op-z to synth)?

i dont want to buy any TE modules right now.

Yes to both.

I have used usb-c to midi din converter cable to control external synths.

I have used usb-c to usb to control synths like microfreak and MicroMonsta 2.

1 Like

many thanks to you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

one more question. if i would like to use a splitter like this

i ll need to have a type-c to midi cable, right?
something like that? (it comes with adapter for type-c)

I used something like the mio thing you linked to.

Never used a Kenton box.

If you have midi out/thru on other synths/drum machines you might not need a Kenton box.