Op-z MIDI Thread

@houtson said:
@radar24 I was meaning with just a simple adaptor (one of the usb a-c for a couple of $) rather than the apple one - just to see if the midi works with the cirklon

Worth a try for a few bucks- I have a draw full of cheap adaptors for that reason!

The OP-Z is a midi host but has some limitations:
Usb midi devices must adhere to the usb plug-and-play standard.
The OP-Z can provide a maximum of 100 mA which is not enough for some midi devices. for these cases, use a powered hub. please refer to the whitelist to see which hubs are supported.
Some devices present themselves as more than one midi device, which currently is not supported by the OP-Z.

@radar24 said:
so i was thinking that my cirklon would nicely control op-z via MIDI. i bought apple usb c to digital av adapter. i thought that would do good midi and even able to charge op-z at the same time. However none of my assumption was possible. MIDI doesn’t work and it can’t charge op-z either… so what would be the best way to send MIDI in/out to op-z and charge it at the same time? i just burnt $69 on this adapter… I wish my octatrack was able to send midi over usb like digitakt…

I’m using an iConnect4 MIDI box - plugged an overbridge usb hub into that and I’ve got the Z playing nice with everything in the studio. One issue though is leaving the z plugged in to that setup will drain the battery as I believe its still firing MIDI at the Z even when powered off.

I don’t have one but Cirklon shows up as a bog standard 6-port class compliant MIDI interface so it should be okay

i will try with regular usb c to a adapter. weird that same apple usb c to a adatper works but usb c to digital av adapter which has usb a doesn’t work…

for me it dostn work, op-z <–> op-1 via usb freeze :frowning:

Using an Apple usb c - usb a adapter. Connecting it with Digitone and mpc Live works. But it doesn’t work with any of my midi controllers. Korg padkontrol, Faderfox uc4, a cheap akai midi 25 key midi controller and my digital piano.

I find this really strange since I’ve heard that the Faderfox is just plug and play. But it can’t even power it…

guessing that some of your controllers that don’t work prolly take more current than the 100mA the z can provide?

Just tried a brand new Apple usb c to a lead into op-1. Nothing. Can’t get sync, or even a crash as some ppl described lol. Any ideas? Just really looking to sync one against the other really simple no midi note exchanges at all

so i tried with apple cck (lightning to usb) hooked to iphone end and connected op-z with included TE usb cable. no work. i get “Cannot Use Deive OP-Z Boot : This Connected Device requires too much power” error thing. so I tried with Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (which has USB and lightning for powering). this time the error message didn’t show up but op-z was frozen. will usb c to usb a adapter connected on op-z end work? saga continues…

Nektar LX49 working for me. Powered hub (through USB C-A converter) is not working :*

Is there a midi/cv module available? I’ve recently seen a video about connectivity showing cables plugged into the back of the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYGg_hiv99M&feature=share

@rudolphrapid said:
Is there a midi/cv module available? I’ve recently seen a video about connectivity showing cables plugged into the back of the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYGg_hiv99M&feature=share

Some of the beta testers had the module (there are pictures of it in the OP-Z post on the electronoughts forum) but it’s not available to buy yet or even officially announced.

@radar24 said:
so i tried with apple cck (lightning to usb) hooked to iphone end and connected op-z with included TE usb cable. no work. i get “Cannot Use Deive OP-Z Boot : This Connected Device requires too much power” error thing. so I tried with Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (which has USB and lightning for powering). this time the error message didn’t show up but op-z was frozen. will usb c to usb a adapter connected on op-z end work? saga continues…

@radar24 OP-Z and iPhone work well for me with just the cck and the supplied cable. OP-Z appears as a virtual midi device and I can send midi to it and from it, all seems quite good getting notes cc’s, pitch bend. The phone doesn’t seem to try and charge the OPZ and I don’t get that error.

Only things I can think of:

• When you’re connecting it are you putting it in content mode (holding track while turning on?) - shouldn’t do that
  • What order are you connecting them? first time round I turned the OPZ on with the cable in it and put that in the iPhone. It doesn’t seem to matter now I can connect in any order but maybe resetting the phone and trying that ?

If there’s anything else you can think of that you want me to try shout out

@houtson I didn’t hold track while turning op-z on. i tried every connection order as you noted but no work… what iphone and iOS are you on i tried with iPhone X and iPhone 6s plus on iOS 12.1.

iPhone 8 on 12.0.1, does the OP-Z have a decent charge?

@houtson yeah it’s fully charged

I read through the guide but I’m still not clear whether the op-z can send program change messages so I can change programs and banks on external synths.

I tried following the guide and wasn’t able to change any programs or banks on other gear using the op-z.

Anybody have luck with this?

iam happy if op-z and op-1 sync together… realy confused why is that not working yet

Make sure the OP-Z is turned on after the connected device, so it can “recognize” it on power up.

just some input on my experience – direct connection between op1 and opz is VERY fun, as you get the nice op1 synth engines to play with. However, its so extremely crazy buggy you will crash your op1 and opz more times in 1h than you have in the last 2 years. Its absolutely unusable that way imo.

I would not recommend to bother to try it at this point.

The only realistic options (that I have not tried) are

1. get something for in between, like those iconnectmidi box etc.
  2. if you don’t want anything in between, wait for the opz connection module.

That my 2c.