Op-z MIDI Thread

…i would recommend you to change the midi settings to put both together, unfortunately the app crashes in different midi settings but you can change the settings via module track…
After that it’s stable. Imagine two devices pushing out to out and loopbacks from hell.
Check settings ?

Tested a USB midi host made by hobbytronics mine is like this one but an older version, works fine so I look foreward to sequencing external midi on the last 3 tracks which seems to work as all the tracks can output midi. http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/audio-midi/usb-midi-converter

@JohnnyEgo said:
…i would recommend you to change the midi settings to put both together, unfortunately the app crashes in different midi settings but you can change the settings via module track…
After that it’s stable. Imagine two devices pushing out to out and loopbacks from hell.
Check settings ?

Opz is only outputting, and op1 is set to recieve. Op1 is set to sync mode on the bmp page. Is there anything more to it than that?
It works and it crashes all the time. Pressing stop at the wrong time or too many times, random hangs from both machines, switching presets too fast.

If the settings lead to flawless stability, list them for the 1000 people asking :wink: ?

So you wire the usb midi OP1 into the OP-Z and the opZ audio back into the op 1 line in ?
Crazy that doesn’t t work though !

but I must admit that the OP-1 needs a proper midi update, it has been with flaws regarding MIdI all the time…mostly clock related and such

after failures with apple cck kits, I tried with very cheap usb c to usb a adapter connecting cirklon with op-z but still don’t work… wonder how others got working with digitakt and etc… Do I need to set something up on op-z to get midi in? on mini page on app, i turned on midi in checkbox…

On the guide the anker adapter is reported as compatible. Have you tried it ?

It could be that is a beta unit with the built in op-lab stuff?

ok some progress here. using cheap usb c to usb a adapter, keystep send midi into op-z nicely. so i’m thinking maybe cirklon’s usb midi may not get long with op-z since cirklon carries 6 sets of 16 usb midi channels via a single usb cable. so next quest is if I can send midi from cirklon’s MIDI DIN out to kestep’s MIDI DIN in and to OP-Z via USB from keystep. simple kenton usb host would just do it but i gotta try with what i have now.

make sure to put the Keystep Midi Settings to Midi thru.
you can even use the CV/Gate outputs via Midi.

yup i set to midi thru. then it seems cirklon is able to sent midi clock to op-z thru keystep and for like 2 bars op-z nicely synced untill then some weird midi triggers happens out of sudden and interrupt the playing. It seems regular midi note and trigger from cirklon’s pattern don’t talk to op-z yet… this is getting into a loop hole… maybe i gotta contact cirklon about this midi thing…

If i were to use the Op-z as mostly a sequencer for external stuff.
I understand that i could output 16 tracks but i can’t find if it sends p-lock or anything else than the standard gate/notes/velocity

Also anyone plan to use it with the Expert Sleepers fh1 or Endorphins Shuttle Control ?

I can’t find info on how OP-1 and OP-z can be connected directly? For sync and midi control. What cable has to be used? I have an OTG stuff but it didn’t work. Should I use a USB-C to USB-mini cable? Or what else?

@skoomsy said:
Has anyone got it working in Bitwig? I haven’t spent too much time figuring it out but seems Bitwig isn’t recieving midi. Works fine on my iOS synths.

Another bitwigger!

My Z comes Friday and i’ll try it out. I have Bitwig 2.3

@rudolphrapid said:
I can’t find info on how OP-1 and OP-z can be connected directly? For sync and midi control. What cable has to be used? I have an OTG stuff but it didn’t work. Should I use a USB-C to USB-mini cable? Or what else?

ya C to whatever usb your device is should work.
i got a C to A adapter so i could just plug whatever usb cable into the adapter and be able to do mini,micro,etc w/o needing individual C cables for each one

hi all, have an old Korg Kontrol 49 im trying to use w/ the z, but because it’s recognized as more than one midi controller, I am thinking that’s why it doesn’t work. Is there a quick and cheap Midi box I can use to use the Control? :frowning: I am not keen on paying 150+ on a iconnect4, unless need be. any help appreciated-thnx *would something like this work? https://www.ebay.com/p/Roland-Um-one-Mk2-USB-Midi-Interface/23024442695?iid=122530573042

I dusted off my old korg padkontrol. the good news is the device powers on from Z buss power, and the kontrol recognizes that it is plugged into usb. That’s about as far as I could go. I spent about an hour skipping around the korg manual with no luck. I am hoping to play drums with the pads, assign the filter to the x-y pad and assign the knobs to the fx send.

u prolly just gotta assign the korg midi note/cc messages & channel to match the op-z. theres a table in the guide that shows all the cc’s. the midi notes i think are the same as the op-1 for drum (i wanna say 53-77? thats just off the top of my head not sure). synth prolly responds to all 0-127 notes.

plug it into a midi monitor program on your computer or phone and it’ll tell u whats what.

For Win Users :

Had to update to 10 to get Midi via USB and Firmware Update. Win 8.1 = no chance.

Several Issues left :

• Massive Dropouts while OP Z is set as Expander (unclocked)
  • OPZ syncs to clock even if “Clock in” disabled
  • OPZ plays Sounds even if “Midi in” disabled

Basically OPZ doesn’t care about what is set in Midi Configurator.

Any Ideas?
Hope that this is gonna improve.
Or at least the module comes out soon…

@radar24 said:
yup i set to midi thru. then it seems cirklon is able to sent midi clock to op-z thru keystep and for like 2 bars op-z nicely synced untill then some weird midi triggers happens out of sudden and interrupt the playing. It seems regular midi note and trigger from cirklon’s pattern don’t talk to op-z yet… this is getting into a loop hole… maybe i gotta contact cirklon about this midi thing…

Any luck figuring out a USB hub that works? I’ve tried two and no luck…

I also ran into the same issue with the apple USB-C to AV adapter not working while the USB-C to USB-A does when direct connecting to devices. Several hours of head scratching to figure that one out…