Op-z MIDI Thread

it says in the guide that devices that are seen as multiple midi devices are not supported.
might be why u haven’t had any luck w/ a hub?

Also, the mention of Apple AV adapter is saying you have to plug that into your iPhone or iPad. Will not work directly on device. Perhaps the hub was mentioned where the OP-Z is a device and not the USB Host. Like for charging and connecting. But yeah, specifically you cannot use multiple devices or one device that shows up as two USB devices when connected.

@docshermsticks said:
it says in the guide that devices that are seen as multiple midi devices are not supported.

I thought the same so I disabled the one device that presented as multiple devices (nord stage) and it still didn’t work. I the plugged into each device individually (including the nord, albeit one channel at a time) and they all work. Plug into the hub and they don’t work, even when only one device at a time is plugged into the hub. From all the troubleshooting I’ve done, all signs point to the hub. Once it’s out of the picture, everything works. They say the only supported one is https://www.kingstongo.com/us/hub/nucleum-usb-type-c-hub but it only has two USB-A outs, which is kind of a bummer.

thats what i mean tho. maybe the hub is what is seen as multiple devices?

My op-1 <–> op-z experience so far is:

• op-1 <–> Raspberry Pi <–> op-z: Both key presses and clock to go both ways correctly.
  • op-1 <-- USB a <–> USB mini + (mini --> USB c dongle) --> op-z: Nothing works
1 Like

Hey there, just a quick question : I wonder if I can live record midi trig on 3 separates track with different midi channels via a midi controller??

@docshermsticks said:

a hub is not seen as multiple devices, a hub is just seen as a hub!

I can connect my OP-Z and OP-1 directly just using a USB-C-A adapter (I plug the adapter into OP-Z, and then just the OP-1 cable into the adapter). It is important to use simple adapter and not OTG.

I guess I’ll just wait and see what TE says is a supported, more than 2 channel, hub. It’s just a bummer to have a device that can output 16 channels of midi but only able to connect 2 devices.

Man the combo with iPad is just ace with midi !
Just used reslice from virsyn via midi bluetooth, plugged the audio out from the opz into the uca222, and you got that octatrack slicing and randomizing stuff On loops with the step components + the audio out from the OP-Z on top that can be recorded separately. Such a tiny setup !!!

1 Like

I have made up to 4 port hubs work with the OP-Z, but I would suggest the following:

Retrokits RK-005

https://www.retrokits.com/shop/rk005/

As long as the RK-005 has been updated to the latest firmware - gives it better support for the OP-1… it also now can be connected directly to the OP-Z using the Apple USB-C to A adapter then the micro USB cable that came with the RK-005. I only say just that micro usb cable because not all micro usb cables will work - many work but many don’t. I’ve tried alot of them.

You may also find a USB-C to Micro USB cable that works but I don’t have one of those yet.

TIP - Once you have an RK-005 you can do ALOT… You can even connect a usb hub to the other port on the RK-005 and then run all those ports from the clock and signal generated by the OP-Z.

NOTE - This is not fool proof… read the RK-005 page/manual carefully to learn how the midi is routed when using a connected usb hub and make sure to update its firmware.

NOTE2 - Both the RK-005 and the OP-Z can act as a MIDI host. If you have another host (Mac, PC, or iOS device) you can create an even more sophisticated configuration. Try them all.

2 Likes

I really hope that in the next few years we can look back and laugh at how much of a pain this usb host business is…

@mbutki said:

• op-1 <–> Raspberry Pi <–> op-z: Both key presses and clock to go both ways correctly.

oh how are you using your raspberry pi? any program on it? i also have raspberry pi too so i’d like to try this out

@radar24 said:

@mbutki said:

oh how are you using your raspberry pi? any program on it? i also have raspberry pi too so i’d like to try this out

I’m using the standard Raspbian OS, and midiconnect for the midi connection. I used this previously to connect keyboard --> OP-1, and I now use it to connect OP-1 <–> OP-Z.

You can also just use the raw aconnect tool, as seen here or here

1 Like

@mbutki said:

Update

I bought the official Apple USB C to A dongle. Using this the direct connection between the OP-1 and OP-Z works perfectly. The order you turn them on and connect them matters.

Working

1. Turn on OP-1
  2. Turn on OP-Z
  3. Connect cable

Not Working

1. Connect cable
  2. Turn on OP-Z
  3. Turn on OP-1

Not Working

1. Connect cable
  2. Turn on OP-1
  3. Turn on OP-Z

Is Bluetooth midi clock working at all? USB seems to be working fine for me but BLE MIDI clock is unstable in slave mode ( weird thing where it plays 4 bars every 2 bars) or not working at all as master.

@mbutki said:

@mbutki said:

Update

I bought the official Apple USB C to A dongle. Using this the direct connection between the OP-1 and OP-Z works perfectly. The order you turn them on and connect them matters.

Working

1. Turn on OP-1
  2. Turn on OP-Z
  3. Connect cable

Not Working

1. Connect cable
  2. Turn on OP-Z
  3. Turn on OP-1

Not Working

1. Connect cable
  2. Turn on OP-1
  3. Turn on OP-Z

Hi there thanks for the info. Are there any freezes other have mentionned so far ?
Is the dongle you’re talking about this one ? https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

I have not had my op-1 crash with this connection since the latest firmware update.

@SLiC said:

@rudolphrapid said:
Is there a midi/cv module available? I’ve recently seen a video about connectivity showing cables plugged into the back of the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYGg_hiv99M&feature=share

Some of the beta testers had the module (there are pictures of it in the OP-Z post on the electronoughts forum) but it’s not available to buy yet or even officially announced.

What’s our collective guess on the module cost?
$70?
$100?
$200 is my guess.
We know oplab is first and visible here: https://goo.gl/images/2SHzEu
If midi/CV is one module, that’s great, but does that port look large enough for 5-pin? I’m not great with midi, but my guess is it’s a 3.5 plug output. How useful is that? (Genuine question).

What modules do we expect?
Midi/CV,
Dmx,
Sampling
Monitor /Dvi?

I would want the midi/CV and sampling. But I passed on the preorder bc it might end up being cheaper to buy Synthstrom Deluge, which has that standard (plus I hear it can do 6/8 and maybe even tempo changes).

3.5mm to 5 pin DIN adapters are out there
see some korg stuff and arturia as well. maybe others.

midi really only uses 3 pins anyway… kinda wish they had made the 3.5mm standard from the get go