Op-z MIDI Thread

anyone having midi issues after the update? Im going to try a reinstall and see if things are working okay. Issues using the component channel to send midi out to a synth on midi channel 14.

Yeah. I’m finding a lot of hung notes and altogether drop outs at random times both via Bluetooth and wired.

Im not having drop out issues but more midi out issues. Most likely is just a setting I need to tick in the midi router I am using. Lets see.

Edit: I am a goof… just realized I muted midi out from the midi settings section on the component track

I am trying to disable MIDI program change, something you can’t do from the app, following the guide at 19.3 https://www.teenageengineering.com/guides/op-z/midi

However I seem to be lost. It worked once but it seems something else should be done. maybe there is an extra button I need to press and it is missing in the guide?

Affordable and working great midi din solution for OP-Z:

1 Like

That looks similar to what I’ve been using. Coincidentally last night I managed to get an apple USB C to A adapter plugged into a very cheap generic 5 pin Midi to USB. The OP-Z is sequencing my Commodore 64 quite well in early tests. Just need to work out what midi ccs are flying around.

1 Like

Jazzmess, please describe your workflow with reslice and opz. Honestly, I thought reslice could not handle a live audio stream, or I missed something…

No you’re right, there is no live sampling, only with a fixed samples, but you can still play the slices, and play with the parameters. Still this is great fun. But it is miles away from the Octatrack and its live sampling.

Anyone managed to send MIDI CC to OP-1, particularly im trying to modulate OP-1s MIDI LFO with the OP-Z, but also otherways of using the midi cc would be good to know!

1 Like

what do you do with this cable? I have it, but just the idea of using it… I have a rc505 and want to go through that do my macbook to record the notes into the DAW but it just seems a headf… thinking of forgetting it all and just recording audio

If you turn the knobs while on the first OP-Z page (white LEDs), then the Charlie Sorrel/Cult of Mac get sent to the OP-1.

You can also use the Sweep step component to send an LFO. Use Filter Up/Down for CC3, and Synth Up/Down for CC3. I may have those numbers backwards. You"ll see it’s working because dots under the controls on the OP-1’s MIDI LFO will move.

what I don’t get is why there is midi out and midi in? if I was to connect this to the rc505 on the out midi can i send the signal through to a macbook?

just a heads up…these Amuse usb to din midi cables did not work for me with the opz. The cable works great to connect to IOS devices but not with the OPZ. The iconnect midi IO cable did work.

Trying to pair op-z with Novation Launch Control (not XL). I have them directly connected via b to c cable. I have midi in turned on in the op-z. When powered on, op-z gets stuck in a strange mode; all encoder LEDS are lit white, track 1 flashes white and black key 1, white key 1 and black key 7 flash alternately white whilst holding track. Other than this the unit is unresponsive. Also, this disconnects the app. This happens when connecting the Launch Control to op-z when turned on and when powering on whilst connected. The lights on Launch Control also cycle rather than behaving normally and is also unresponsive. When Launch Control is disconnected I have to power cycle op-z to return it to normal. Any advice would be great! I’m a modular guy so this midi business is strange to me.

That is very weird! The only thing I can think of is that maybe, you are not on the latest Launch Control firmware (assuming you are also on the latest OP-Z firmware). I only have the Launch Control XL and had to update the firmware so that it would work properly. Sometimes trying out a different cable might do the trick as well.

1 Like

My z is about a month old, I’ll check to make sure it’s up to date as I read more usb compatibility was added with the last update. Launch Control is up to date but it’s a pretty old controller, could it be point blank incompatible? Only have the one cable, I’ll look out for another. So, what is the correct way to connect them? Power on together? Connect controller to powered on z?

Mine has don’t that a couple times when I’m plugging in and out a bunch with the oplab, I think it’s some kind of control mode or something but I’m not sure, I always just turn it off and back on and it’s fine. I would love to know what it does though and how it happens.

1 Like

I usually connect my LC XL to my OP-Z and then turn on my OP-Z. It might be that the regular Launch Control is not compatible. The LC XL had an update a couple of years ago that made it compatible with almost any hardware, without a computer in between.

Hello, my contribution to this big MIDI thread.

I’ve made a Layout to control the OP-Z with the “MIDI Designer Pro” (iOS).
You can pretty much do everything you want with this app regarding controlling MIDI channel / CC with pretty deep options over the controls (not only the type and shape but how they react to each other and also the possibility to save any state of any controls or groups of control and call them back in real time.
My goal was to have all the control possible for all the tracks (almost), i still prefer using the actual hardware but it found it useful to be able to see and control everything in one (crowded) page.
Dynamics controls are fun to use (you can set a control to come back to his default state progressively).
Muting and controlling the volume of the current track AND all of the other track is great to quickly isolating a track.

Features:
• Save/load presets for
— parameters page
— tracks (combination of param. page)
— all tracks (including step count/length)
• Step count and step length per track
• Mute track or Mute all others tracks
• Control volume track or volume for all others tracks
• Pitch bend per track / all track
• A lot of virtual knobs (work in progress)

The demo video is up there (pardon my accent).
The link to the layout is here: https://coolquentin.itch.io/op-z-midi-designer-layout
Website of the MIDI Designer App: https://mididesigner.com/

4 Likes

That’s pretty wild!

1 Like