OP-Z Preorder is online

They are out, couple more preorders in a couple of weeks. This is a great great thing to happen, I assume most people who snatched preordered will give us the heads up for what to look forward to, it took me almost 6 years to acquire the op1 so waiting a bit before buying is not as bad as it sounds.

@zyrixian said:

@LyingDalai said:
I’m a bit disappointed…

• Would I really throw 618€ for a device I have not the slightest idea what it does? From a company that has not met a deadline for years? I mean, there is no real manual, online. Only the previous “preview”
  • A thin and soft 20€ rollup bag is all there is as a blind pre-order bundle privilege? After all this wait? No little gesture for all the patience?
  • “CABLES AND GRIP KNOBS DO NOT COME WITH THIS BUNDLE”, it whispers… They could have. that would have been cool.

Sorry for the rant, I usually don’t like to put bad vibes online. But this offer is really thin. Like, REALLY really.

PS : I don’t even see what “bundle” means, in such case. It seems I can buy only the rollup bag, if I want to. So what is in this “preorder bundle” anyway ?

I agree, even though I’ve been super on the fence about this, I was hoping that the “wait is over” email was going to have some final info, and perhaps persuade me to pull the trigger and buy it. But no, basically a “sorry about the wait” and “click here to pre-order” but no final specs or details about the device :(. I am not interested in the “bundle” which is essentially a fabric case. If it was any other company but TE, my scam-warning system would be going off. I really wish they would just have someone write up the details about the final production model so we can actually see what we are getting if we purchase it! It’s still really unclear to me what the final features are.

Quit the hassle, the product will be out in a month with a bunch of raving TE fans giving feedback all over the place. Some people know that this unit is so awaited that even if it’s absolut s* (which is not my expectation as ALL my TE products are marvelous) you will be able to resell it, and probably (depending on production and availability) even ask for a higher price, so if you have the money and are well timed for the preorders go for it, almost safe investment here. And yes, TE makes bundles which will save you some money when you ALREADY expect to but their products (e.g. metal series, speaker+ortho, etc.) . You can build your own knobs with legos so cmon.

I mean, it’s definitely not a pre-order package for people on the fence. But they clearly don’t need those people…

How does OP-Z handle the stereo?
Samples are mono or not? Can you actually sample in stereo?

This is so ridiculous:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Engineering-OP-Z-Synthesizer/323451812613?hash=item4b4f3afb05:g:ZlkAAOSwnOlboAog

oof, 618 euro… that’s ~$1000AUD. That’s a “not sure” price for me.

That said, I’ll be visiting Europe in around a month, hoping to stop by Sweden, sooo… maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

wow, Selling a presale… hmmmm. that is crazy. but its not atypical I mean that happens with every Nintendo product that comes out.

@Domatron said:
Just preordered from a uk site - gear4music. £530. Hope the leather case isn’t more than £40. Also really really hope the unit comes with the USB A to C cable lol!

Says in press release - “included in package.
usb type-c to usb type a for charging and
control.” ?

My guess is the next batch will come as a preorder but with the leather case this time !
And anybody knows when retailers will receive their stock ? Mid October too or later ?

@LyingDalai said:
How does OP-Z handle the stereo?
Samples are mono or not? Can you actually sample in stereo?

Not yet confirmed.

But it has been confirmed that you can’t sample…

i got the impression that you could sample and transfer from op1, computer, ipad. Not exactly sampling but im sure itll be better then the Korg Volca Sample which was a nightmare to sample to… and it was a sampler… not a very high bar…

I also got a kick out of the email being like the wait is over. so now you can wait some more. HURRY UP AND WAIT.

I pre-ordered. Fast.
As others have said, I thought the bundle was a bit of a laugh, as it didn’t include “CABLES AND GRIP KNOBS DO NOT COME WITH THIS BUNDLE” or even the 19$£EUR case thing. So it isn’t even a bundle!

But hey, it looks awesome and I want it. I’m hoping TE did the AWESOME job they did on the OP-1 and thats why we waited.

@punji - I feel for you!

@punji said:

Yeah… ? For all it’s goodness, it seems arbitrary to not include that instant sampling goodness. Seems like all the capabilities are there hardware-wise. I’d settle for import from iOS, or transfer direct from op1… My cynical side says the reason is that sampling will be a hardware expansion… But seems like a cash grab, cause the jack is trrs, + it has a mic built in…

Hard to understand why they omitted the line-in, considering that the POs have it, same about sampling (PO-33). Maybe because of the dual domain thing (ie, playback directly from the iOS device to reduce lag)? But as ludicrousSpeed said, lets hope it comes in the future…

@punji said:

I’m a bit out of touch here, when was that confirmed?

Wonders how extensive iOS integration will be as far as friendliness with other music apps? I’m not too fussed about the lack of sampling if it plays well with other software. I recently discovered that you can sample radio easily on the iPad/iPhone (Without using a mic) so, if the device doesn’t have a dedicated means of doing it, there’s always a work around.

@unloop said:

@punji said:

I’m a bit out of touch here, when was that confirmed?

Quite recently on a few instagram posts/videos.

I have a guitarcenter.com pre-order going. Its been going for months, and the date has changed. I (pre)ordered on TE today, and then looked on guitarcenter.com - no mention of OP-Z at all!! I guess they pulled down their phony pre-order to make a real one? I think I’ll leave both orders in place…I’ll believe it when I see it!

@hiabex said:
Wonders how extensive iOS integration will be as far as friendliness with other music apps? I’m not too fussed about the lack of sampling if it plays well with other software. I recently discovered that you can sample radio easily on the iPad/iPhone (Without using a mic) so, if the device doesn’t have a dedicated means of doing it, there’s always a work around.

What you use to sample radio on iOS?