OP-Z SPECS AND INFORMATION AT ALL!!

Prediction: The Yellow power tab will be a problem. Seems to stick out too much and would get caught on things causing stress on the switching mechanism.

I do have to say though - these new videos from NAMM have gotten me interested. Last year when announced it looked like something I’d never consider. (I still have zero interest in the PO line)

Prediction: The Yellow power tab will be a problem. Seems to stick out too much and would get caught on things causing stress on the switching mechanism.

I do have to say though - these new videos from NAMM have gotten me interested. Last year when announced it looked like something I'd never consider. (I still have zero interest in the PO line)

Hello rasp my old friend…

I do have to say though - these new videos from NAMM have gotten me interested. Last year when announced it looked like something I'd never consider. (I still have zero interest in the PO line)

I’m in the same boat. Wasn’t very excited until I saw these new NAMM videos but now I’m kinda interested. Here’s hoping the price will be reasonable. ‘Reason’ here refers to the reasoning I’ll be trying to come up with when I’m about to let my Mrs know of what an interesting piece of equipment is likely to join my rig. :wink:

my guess is this is/was for pre-prototype development.
Before you have actual hardware you want people to be able to get busy in writing the first pieces of software.
Since OP-Z is also a blackfin, it's quite possible to get started and move the code over to the new hardware later
Yeah possibly or they are implementing a 16 step sequencer mode with the OP-1 connected. A boy can dream can't he?

Endless + Midi would do the trick, no special mode needed

Yeah that would be decent. Lol

Wait, that yellow thing on the left is power related? I figured it was something to do with the “upgradable modular effects”.

no it’s on/off and volume in one Poti

I didn’t see this mentioned yet… in the fact mag video Jonas switched patterns when demonstrating the tape track and the tempo changes. So it appears tempo is saved with pattern data. Huge! If it will be able to send clock and pattern change data to the analog rytm this will be a game changer for me!

no it's on/off and volume in one Poti

It would be a nice design if it was a click-click toggle which was “in” and flush when “off” and “out” (enabling volume adjustment) when “on”.

CB

nice design but not a sturdy construction for the tough life of a musicians tool ;o)
I think those contraptions break pretty easily. Speaks volumes that they designed their own endless encoders which are flush with the rest of the device, if you ask me.

nice design but not a sturdy construction for the tough life of a musicians tool ;o)

Cough…pocket operators…cough. :slight_smile:

CB

They’re much smaller than I thought. The comment about “you can build any kind of interface you want” in the iOS app is interesting, but that sounds like a ton of work. Not sure they’re really going to meet that Summer 2017 date unless they start small on the software side.

will the september 2017 be like the op-1 firmware dates?

Honestly I think its kinda nuts people are not absolutely freaking out over this piece of kit. Just its ability to sequence live visuals through unity and DMX triggers alone in such a small intuitive package would have me losing sleep over it, but the fact that it is a synthesizer to boot and also will work with a touchscreen device… its a total gamechanger.

I haven’t seen something so inspiring since the OP-1. Sure the OP-1 has its quirks… but it has changed the way I live ( I work on the road ) and allowed many to create art in places they might never have had the opportunity before. As an audio visual artist I could not imagine ever having something like that for my job… I mean i literally would never even have thought to tie a hardware synth to a realtime graphics engine in an official release. Plenty of live acts have systems set up like this for them on the road, where generative visuals are triggered via programs like touchdesigner over complex networks that communicate between all the midi, osc, artnet, audio data (sometimes much more) that is flying around a live production…

but this little thingamajig is about to allow you to work on a complete live show on an airplane, or a beach or where ever you feel like it. I mean grab this little thing, a pico projector, and some mapping software and its off to the races.

basically fools should all be like… damn, I have till september to learn how to navigate unity so I can fully comprehend how insanely next level this device will be in the right hands… not " I dont understand why they are focusing so much on the video aspect"

sequencers have played back audio and cv and midi and whatever since the dawn of sequencers… and for that matter there are many devices to easily work with DMX. but a true visual synthesizer is something that really hasnt been made yet, at least not that is accessible. To be quite honest… the live visuals industry is mostly garbage… kaleidoscopes… rgb split effects… shitty pixel shifting nonsense… rainbows and laser cats… This is going to allow creative people to explore a new landscape of their art that they might not have even known was possible for them to afford and or understand.

I predict this will be a gateway for drug for many new AV addicts and will drum up new interest in bringing tasteful realtime graphics to the masses… which will allow the cream to rise to the top and raise the standard for live visuals… which sadly are pretty terrible currently unless you are a headline DJ or an audio visual artist/programmer yourself.

I own an LZX industries modular visual synthesizer. I program and design video networks and synchronized playback systems all day, all night… name a media server its in my studio… name a DAW I have attempted or succeeded in syncing it with a lighting console and some sort of video trigger system… custom max msp patches to properly route midi during song changes…its all I do all day and to most… its a black art.

the OP-Z will 100% either completely change that landscape or if it falls short… open peoples minds to the need for devices like it in the market place.

What I would really love for teenage engineering to do is to release the visual software design package for Unity well in advance of the hardware so we can wrap our heads around it and hit the ground running with our own content.

:slight_smile:

@najrock: that’s one problem I see on the horizon. Opening the SDK and the integration in Unity3D is gonna take time for people to grasp.
It’s like people think Minecraft is a shitty game about pixelated Blocks ;o)
[…until you show them what Seth Bling does…]

<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/591/Najrock” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>Najrock<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> - What an exciting post! You make the visual synthesis aspect of the Op-Z sound so exciting. Thankyou! :slight_smile:

@LudicrouSpeed Pitch bend.

CB

Oh for realsies? Is that confirmed? Which button is it? Does it bend up or down? Or is there a shift function to say up or down?

So many questions

Here's the back panel:

source: http://icon.jp/archives/13789

That image makes it cool metal, but it’s plastic, right?

with iOS only, I'm out. But I still think it's an amazing little device.
And yeah, of course they want to cover their backs instead of promising the world and not deliver (anybody heard of "No Man's Sky"?)
Yea that's why they say all specs are subject to change as well. Also I think the OPZ The had linked to the DMX lights were hooked to that MacBook in the BG of most vids.

Hopefully it can do dmx and video at the same time, but understandable if it can’t.