back once again
this time a little upgrade
version 3 sports a thru hole TRRS jack
instead of the old surface mount one
thru hole components are sturdier, stronger and more durable
than the surface mount ones.
@ digdugDIY - Etsy

2 Likes

Hey I got this thing some years ago and it’s rocking. I’m using it to send jam to friends as IM on Signal etc. Works fantastic direct from OP-Z, Digitone, everything.

I might be getting into Eurorack and would like to ask @docshermsticks or whoever might know if the TRRS splitter is DC coupled maybe? I’ve understood output from modular should be DC coupled so maybe maybe this could serve that purpose besides bringing levels down? :kiwi_fruit: Thanks

1 Like

far from an expert on dc vs ac coupling

the TRRS splitter has a capacitor at the input
and as i think i understand would make it ac-coupled not dc-coupled

i believe that dc-coupling has more to do with CV signals than audio signals
audio signals should pass thru untouched just fine in either ac or dc coupled scenarios

so i dont believe u would have any issues running the audio signal of your modular into it

almost positive i’ve seen or ppl have told me that they were doing it (to great fun)
no one has said to me that they’ve had issues trying to do this either
this should be more than safe

like u said, just watch your levels and be mindful of whatever u are running the modular into
the splitter itself can handle the voltage but your other devices down the chain may or may not

so as i believe i understand things
u may run into strange behaviour if u are trying to send CV thru an ac-coupled input
like LFOs, step sequencer voltages, etc etc. things that change or move slowly or not at all
if u send CV thru it and it is ac coupled it merely just removes the DC offset
i dont believe that ac coupled vs dc coupled would damage anything before or after or the splitter itself
in fact u may even stumble upon something cool or different doing this

heres a pretty decent read on it if u are looking to ruminate on it some more
https://noiseengineering.us/blogs/loquelic-literitas-the-blog/ac-vs-dc-coupling-what-is-it

if u want to make it dc-coupled i believe that u can just jump the capacitor on the splitter
but this is not something that i have tested at all so u would be at your own risk kinda thing
the input capacitor is there to protect the circuit and whatever is down stream from any potentially damaging DC (and is super common in electronics and audio electronics)

generally speaking as i see it electronics as a whole are very different from how they used to be
we know a lot more than we used to. the way parts are made is much better. etc etc etc
less prone to the failures and imperfections of old
so a lot of these safety guards were put in place at a time when things were not as safe or robust
just like many things in our world today. we do things better and safer now because we can.

i’m not saying that these things are not necessary anymore or do not have their place still
they totally do but
moreso that while the potential for damage is still there
electronics seem pretty robust now that they can handle some abuse here and there
and everything will still be fine and joyful

hope this is helpful
and so glad u are digging

<#

Thanks for your reply @docshermsticks , I have something to digest… and experiment (hoping not to fry any of my gear)

Meanwhile: apparently the splitter also works with Macbook Air M2… I didn’t know it’s headphone jack also has input… here a dub riddim with Kastle 1.5 recorded into Audacity. Knob on the splitter adjust the gain going into the computer.

1 Like

no doubt
always happy to help :stuck_out_tongue:

like with most unknowns
just approach with some appropriate level of respect // caution
and u should have a good time

awesome!
yea should work with pretty much any combo TRRS “headset” type jack

i was using on my ipad the other day w/ the headphone adapter and the quality was superb

so i thought i was all out of these
but i stumbled upon some boards hiding in the back of the drawer the other day
prolly most likely will be the last batch of these
there are so many more uses for these now than just the OPZ
pretty much the whole Field range
ipad, iphone, microfreak plus many others

listing them at special ~50% off
@ https://digdugdiy.etsy.com

as always much love & many thanks! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Works great with a normcore Apple laptop. Good fun!

4f318e4a9aa3e30c5389b943718788e80e599c3e

2 Likes

rad dude! :hamburger: