OP-Z : VideoLab / Unity

Cool — along the motion graphics lines?

@Polyoptics said:
Cool — along the motion graphics lines?

Yeah, just some cool shapes and particles dancing around, also trying to compile a scene using the midiklak code into an Android .apk and see if I can’t sequence visuals on an Android device

Nice, i’m working on some character stuff, but a long way to go still.

@Polyoptics said:
Nice, i’m working on some character stuff, but a long way to go still.

That’s pretty dope. I’d love to do that but I’m absolutely shit at rigging.

Yea its def the longest part i’m about 1/2 way there now — never made assets for unity tho, just a small testbeforw I started to make sure it would load up and take an animation clip. All new territory for me.

@Polyoptics said:
Yea its def the longest part i’m about 1/2 way there now — never made assets for unity tho, just a small testbeforw I started to make sure it would load up and take an animation clip. All new territory for me.

I’m there with you, the only game engine I’ve worked with up until now has been the unreal engine. What 3d program do you use?

I use maya and know it fairly well - never did any game work but lots of complicated stuff. Most of that won’t apply in real time though, so pairing things down is the new challenge.

I’m not sure how I will intergrate the musical interaction, but we’ll each need something to work with and experimant on, so that’s what i’m trying to get set up. Just a simple scene to figure it out.

I think getting it running on my phone is something i need to figure out sooner rather than later. I have this feeling that im in for a rude awakening when i see what a phone can handle in realtime (or rather, how inefficiently i’ve made my scene! haha)

@Polyoptics said:
I use maya and know it fairly well - never did any game work but lots of complicated stuff. Most of that won’t apply in real time though, so pairing things down is the new challenge.

I’m not sure how I will intergrate the musical interaction, but we’ll each need something to work with and experimant on, so that’s what i’m trying to get set up. Just a simple scene to figure it out.

I think getting it running on my phone is something i need to figure out sooner rather than later. I have this feeling that im in for a rude awakening when i see what a phone can handle in realtime (or rather, how inefficiently i’ve made my scene! haha)

@Polyoptics said:

Nice! Maya is home base for me as well. Basically the idea is to use TE’s tools to map certain parameters of your choosing (scale, position, etc) to midi signals. I’m trying to figure out if I can map full animated sequences to a single midi trigger. Again, I’m new to unity so I’m kinda figuring it out as I go.

From what little I know of unity so far, (mechanim/blend trees or whatever) triggering animation with a key press is the norm, but yea midi hmmm thats another story! — good luck with the midi aspect, looking forward to your progress!!

@Polyoptics said:
From what little I know of unity so far, (mechanim/blend trees or whatever) triggering animation with a key press is the norm, but yea midi hmmm thats another story! — good luck with the midi aspect, looking forward to your progress!!

Have you downloaded the videolab code from GitHub?

I haven’t – just going to github makes my eyes glaze over… but I will definitely check into it!!
I wonder if the opZ unity integration will get any more usable/beginner friendly than that.

I had a better look through it. Not sure exactly what to think, I have to dig around more. I wonder what bits of unity’s functionality (anim blend trees etc) are supported/notSupported in Klak.

@Polyoptics said:
I haven’t – just going to github makes my eyes glaze over… but I will definitely check into it!!
I wonder if the opZ unity integration will get any more usable/beginner friendly than that.

Here’s hoping. At least some thorough documentation on how to use the API. The current wiki they have is pretty empty

am I right in thinking that there is no ‘secret sauce’ for unity + opz? – unity/klak works with midi or osc or something and there is no ‘tie in’ to the opZ specifically. The opZ software has its sequencer and you flip to ‘motion mode’ … but what does that really do? is it any different than running any midi device into a premade unity scene?

There is such a pit of zero information and half cloaked demos, its hard to tell whats happening. hehe :smile:

@Polyoptics you are correct

@Polyoptics said:
am I right in thinking that there is no ‘secret sauce’ for unity + opz? – unity/klak works with midi or osc or something and there is no ‘tie in’ to the opZ specifically. The opZ software has its sequencer and you flip to ‘motion mode’ … but what does that really do? is it any different than running any midi device into a premade unity scene?

There is such a pit of zero information and half cloaked demos, its hard to tell whats happening. hehe :smile:

That’s what I’ve been getting at. It’s all just midi over Bluetooth. You can put your visuals on any device that unity can compile to. There’s even plugins for spout/syphon outputs so you could run the visuals on a laptop, feeding directly into any vj program of your choosing. The only kinda down side is using the visuals through the Op-z app let’s you use the motion sequencer, which I’m guessing is a midi track specifically designed to interface with the visuals when loaded through the app. Using it on any other device you’d have to use the Op-z’s dedicated midi sequencer. Not really a huge deal imo

It great that OP-Z has this feature, looks like fun and Keijiro Takahashi is a leader in this stuff.

if people actually use this feature in numbers then i would expect the existing IOS midi sequencers apps to create similar features to trigger Unity for about 10 bucks. Would be a fun feature to have if needed.

If you really think about it, you wouldnt really need the Op-z at all. The magic is all in Keijiro Takahashi’s api

I suppose, if you are going to use midi to control (via sequencer) a unity scene, the opZ is a top contender with all the trig conditions etc. even if there is no ‘special’ intergration with unity.

I am going all the way down that road either way though, just to see whats there.

some nice examples on youtube.