OP-Z : VideoLab / Unity

@Polyoptics said:
I suppose, if you are going to use midi to control (via sequencer) a unity scene, the opZ is a top contender with all the trig conditions etc. even if there is no ‘special’ intergration with unity.

I am going all the way down that road either way though, just to see whats there.

I definitely feel that, I’m still interested in getting my hands on an Op-z either way. From what I’ve seen, it’s synth engines sound a little more full and rich than the op-1. Plus the whole step components aspect seems like a really cool creative tool. The only big drawback for me is having keys to play live which can easily be fixed with a midi controller

As someone whose dabbled in Blender and very new to Unity, could anyone suggest a roadmap as to what to learn in Unity to make these sort of visuals? Thanks!

can anyone explain how they got started with the github files? ive imported the unitypackages but i have no idea what to do next - this is all new territory for me so please be nice haha.

@maximumzing said:
As someone whose dabbled in Blender and very new to Unity, could anyone suggest a roadmap as to what to learn in Unity to make these sort of visuals? Thanks!

Google and YouTube brother. Any geometry needs to be made in another program, blender will work fine. Udemy has some good videos on unity. Keep in mind, learning unity is only the first step. You’re going to have to learn to use TE’s video lab toolkit for which there’s is currently almost no documentation. Hopefully once we get an official Op-z release they’ll do some tutorials on setting midi control properly.

@maximumzing said:
can anyone explain how they got started with the github files? ive imported the unitypackages but i have no idea what to do next - this is all new territory for me so please be nice haha.

I’m still figuring them out lol like I just said to Maximumizing there’s pretty much no documentation on videolab at the moment. If I get anything working I’ll let you guys know but we might have to wait a little for someone to make some sort of guide

Ok, so the docs are updated and we can begin …as soon as we get our opZ units!!

I have loaded the videoLab packages and created the “moving a cube via op1 midi input” scene. Thats a ‘right of passage’ checked off the list, but still in a holding pattern.

Has anyone with an actual unit gotten any further yet?

@Polyoptics : I installed everything, catched a glimpse of how Keijiro Takahashi does it on twitter (https://twitter.com/_kzr/status/744346806092337152), but somehow I’m still not able to make a cube rotate or move… could you share your base project ? Thanks !

Hi jeff, I think I ran into that too – try it while the game view is running

@Polyoptics Yeah I tried that, with no success. Is there a way to view the values received from the klak knob input node ? I see in midiJack that I receive midi data from my interface, but it doesn’t seem to be catched by the knob input node. (I put the good channel in and the knob number in the properties) :-/

If midiJack is getting input, you should be good. There is no setting on the knobNode to show that its working though – you just have to connect it up to something, then press play in your game view and see.

Here is a cross post, its just the basics working as described in that video you posted.

http://vimeo.com/296570373