Op-z working eurorack interfaces?

So cool, I would love to get one but now I’m a little worried about the build quality, after going through random threads on this forum. I didn’t know that was an issue at all. I might have the opportunity to swap my Pyramid with an OP-Z and I’m really tempted, but the Pyramid is built like a tank and one of the most capable sequencers out there. What to do what to do, oh what luxury problems I’m having again today. :smile:

What input module do you use for line levels.

Im using an Erica synths pico input or endorphines cockpit if I don’t want to process through the rack. I really really hope teenage engineering release an expansion module with more outs. Or make it possible to use multichanneled audio interfaces. Two outs isn’t enough :robot:

1 Like

Yeah i hear ya. I’m up to my second OPZ as the midi/data stopped working on mine. I just saw a friend whose had one since day 1 and he’s had zero issues. Part of me wants something biggger like an octatrack. But honestly… the portability is just beyond awesome.

I really think the encoder issue has to do with the way the fiberglass is cut, it seems like there were some that weren’t cut in the right direction so it makes the device bend and pops them up.

That sounds horrible! :dizzy_face:

Yeah, that’s what is really attracting me as well. I’m rethinking a lot of my stuff because I just move around too much to keep big chunky pieces of kit in my “collection”. I just put my Analog Rytm mk2 up for sale as well. It’s just too damn heavy and big and not battery powered.

I know with fiberglass plastics and carbon fiber in particular they can be incredibly strong but it’s all how the fibers are running, if they are not in the correct direction you get bending and warping as the fibers pull the softer plastic around them. If the opz was to start warping, even if you can’t see it, it might be enough to pop out the encoders. This is all just my speculation but I really don’t think they would engineer it with such a flaw unless it’s under some kind of stress.

Alright! I have a pico input on the way, I amplified the line signal through bitbox but thought a dedicated module would be better :slight_smile:

Here’s some stuff I did today sequencing the endorphin.es shuttle system and 0 coast (3 voices) using the OP-Z via Shuttle Control. The Zed is my favorite modular sequencer right now and the shuttle control a fantastic interface.

4 Likes

Nice! Enjoying this with my morning coffee :robot:

1 Like

I’ve noticed some weird behavior with my opz and shuttle control. It looks like it was my original issue all along. At times my SC doesn’t recognize my OPZ. I have to reinstall the firmware and it works again. Weird. Has anyone else had this? I’m trying to work out a pattern as it seems like a bug. But strange if it’s only happening here.

1 Like

Hi Tymon, did you get to the bottom of this issue? I seem to be experiencing the same problem with my OP-Z and Shuttle. I have not tried setting up any custom profiles for the SC yet, but at default setting no MIDI is coming through to the Shuttle.

Behringer Neutron works a treat, albeit you need to either use in its own case (via USB) or use a MIDI adaptor (if racked).

Has anyone tried connected to Korg SQ1 via direct USB?

Been looking at getting the shuttle control to interface my OP-Z with my Eurorack. Looks very powerful.

I’ve been using a Shuttle Control on loan to me from a friend and one thing about it you may want to know is that the pitch cv range is -5v to 5v, which I think is a bit unusual and might be a problem for some of your modules. I think it’s a lot more typical in Eurorack for 1v/oct voltage to be unipolar and to go from 0v to 10v.

Shuttle Control has been annoying for me to use with Noise Engineering modules which don’t respond at all to negative voltages in their pitch inputs. What makes it even worse is that OP-Z constrains the note range for different tracks so for instance with the bass track, you can’t even transpose that high on the OP-Z keyboard and you end up only getting a small range of notes that are in the positive voltage for Shuttle Control.

Anyways, like I said, I’m borrowing the SC from a friend, but before I’d consider actually buying one, I would definitely want to see how other options are… maybe the Expert Sleepers FH-2…

Hmm… that’s interesting to note. I actually just ordered my shuttle control yesterday, so I guess I’ll find out how well it works. I also know Polyend Poly 2 is a good one as well. It was my runner up when deciding.

If your modules respond to negative pitch voltage, its really great. I wish they could make voltage offset some kind of option in the firmware.

From my understand, it is typical for Eurorack modules to respond to negative voltage, or at least have an octave offset. For example: Mutable Instrument’s Plaits has an octave offset that goes I think like 8 octaves.

well, I can’t say for all modules of course, but Noise Engineering, who make some really great sound sources, do not respond to negative voltages. Everything else in my rack responds to negative voltage just fine.

Also, most euro sequencers I’ve used are unipolar for their pitch voltage, so if you want to keep using those along with a Shuttle Control, you may find yourself needing to tune up some octaves.

1 Like

curious to see how you’ve gotten on with this combo! have you had any luck connecting your monome grid directly to the OP-Z?