op1.fun is a new site for sharing patches!

Thanks all! I see a few new patches, awesome.

@artsun I see your string patch at https://op1.fun/users/artsun/patches/souviens_toi. I think I just need to add more ui feedback on the site showing that the upload was successful

Yeah I see it too indeed, but there’s no preview enabled. Maybe it’s normal?

@artsun the site can only preview sampler and drum patches. synth engine patches are just “knob position” data for the op-1 so I can’t generate the sound automatically.

Scrolling through the website, I realize some have previews and some have an abstract of the patch (engine, octave, fx, lfo), I assume there’s a logic in this, just still have to figure it out :slight_smile:

Also it would be nice to be able to sort it by author and date.

@artsun the site can only preview sampler and drum patches. synth engine patches are just "knob position" data for the op-1 so I can't generate the sound automatically.
Alright! The logic was easy then :)

@artsun about 30 seconds ago I added a sort for “Most Recent” :wink:

You can browse patches by author by clicking on the author’s name in the patch preview, or from the patch detail page.

@artsun about 30 seconds ago I added a sort for "Most Recent" ;)

You can browse patches by author by clicking on the author's name in the patch preview, or from the patch detail page.

Great, thanks! I see there is a lot of patches already, there’s a nice exploration time coming!

Food for thoughts: maybe a workaround for the preview of synth patches would be to allow the contributor to upload a short sound file of the patch, in a dedicated and optional area of the upload formulary. More work for the contributor, more disk space on the server side, but a big plus in terms of user experience. My 2 cents!

@artsun thanks, good idea. I will add that feature.

@dustmason - this is an AWESOME SITE AND ONE OF MY FAVORITE SITES ON THE WHOLE F****** WEB RIGHT NOW!!!

Great functionality and stunning design! Thanks a ton, sir!

Good job. Works perfect!

AWESOME! I plan to join and I’m in the process of sampling some of my less used equipment (Roland D-50 and SH-32) and sharing them!

@artsun thanks, good idea. I will add that feature.

You rock!

Hi, @dustmason
Thank you for making a wonderful site.

There is a little problem with uploading. I can not upload 1MB files.

wow very cool, thanks for putting this together!

@dustmason may I suggest to accept PO32 patches as well ?
I can’t see a better place !

@orat Sorry about that. There was a 1MB limit on the generated patch preview, but I have raised the limit 1.5MB now. Do you have patches that are larger than that? Patches up to 4MB should work, but the preview will be limited to the first 1.5MB of the file.

@LyingDalai That sounds great, but I don’t have a PO32 to mess with. As I understand it uses actual audio data to encode its patches, which are loaded by playing that audio data over a speaker nearby. Certainly makes for a great UX on a patch sharing site like this. Can you send me a couple of these patches as audio data so I can play with the idea? My contact info is on https://op1.fun/about

Fantastic resource, thanks a million!

Regarding patches, does anyone know what is the limit on the new firmware?

@orat Sorry about that. There was a 1MB limit on the generated patch preview, but I have raised the limit 1.5MB now. Do you have patches that are larger than that? Patches up to 4MB should work, but the preview will be limited to the first 1.5MB of the file.

Thank you!!
I think that the maximum size of drum kit is around 1 MB, so 1.5 MB is enough.

Where can I find out how the Chrome -> Midi thing works? Super excited to try that, but I’ve not gotten it to work yet.

Where can I find out how the Chrome -> Midi thing works? Super excited to try that, but I've not gotten it to work yet.

I should add some basic docs to the site. In the meantime, just make sure your OP-1 is plugged in and sending MIDI then load any patch detail page (for example https://op1.fun/users/neuorbison/patches/sci_prophet_5-52). If the site detects the OP-1 properly you’ll see a little tab in the lower left with an OP-1 icon. It will flash white when MIDI messages come in. Try tapping some keys on the OP-1. It might take a moment to load the audio but you should be able to hear the sample playing from the computer at the correct notes.

This has only been tested on my macbook running latest Chrome.

Please let me know if it works for you, it likely needs some refinement.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - if you are previewing a drum patch, make sure your OP-1 is set to octave 0.

Ah that totally works! I was hoping that somehow I could preview synth engine patches this way, which is what I tried. Alas, I cannot! Ah well.

Here’s hoping that one of the TE engineers secretly passes you an SDK under threat of death that you can use to take an OP1 AIF and turn it into a wav file or something. That would really make this thing perfect. It’s so awesome now, though. Thanks again!