Oplab OS 859 beta (update: OS 861 released)

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your answer.
I don’t have any special setting on the OT. It’s just set to send clock and transport.
The OT is connected to the Midi DIN IN of the OPlab.
On a midi track of the OT, I send a note on channel 9 to the OP1.
Then the OP1’s endless sequencer sends notes to a Nord Drum 2 connected on the Midi Out DIN of the OPLab (also on Channel 9).

Edit: Oh, and Ableton is set to be synced (slave) to the Oplab output (Usb device). But the clock is inaccurate and keeps on changing.

@Jon Not sure if this is an Oplab bug or OP1 bug, but when the OP1 is set to send clock, on first try Oplab does not always send, the way to fix it is to change from tape to synth then back to tape on OP1 and then it works as expected, this is when using Oplab in mode 0.

BTW It has been like this for a while across numerous OP1 and Oplab updates.

Thank you Jon! Thank you TE! I can finally put to rest the Oplab petition for an update. Looking forward to checking out the beta myself later today!

@jon I updated the OpLab to the latest firmware (v860), and there is something rather odd that I am experiencing with the Din Sync output of the OpLab.

I am using the Elektron Rytm as a masterclock, and it is connected to the MIDI In of the OpLab. The MIDI Out works fine, and the Din Sync Out is transmitting clock messages.

When I connect the MIDI output of the Rytm (configured to send Din Sync), straight to my Eurorack sequencer module (which accepts Din Sync), using an Expert Sleepers DJ-1200 cable (http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/accessories.html), the module would respond when I press ‘Play’, or ‘Stop’, on the Rytm.

However, if I were to make this connection via the OpLab (Rytm MIDI Out -> OpLab MIDI In; OpLab Din Sync Out -> Eurorack sequencer module Din Sync In), the sequencer module would receive clock, and ‘Start’ messages, but not ‘Stop’ signals. The sequencer would continue to play on, even after pressing ‘Stop’ on the Rytm (and successive presses of ‘Stop’ does not do what is intended).

Hence, I would like to ask, is this a bug, and if so, would it be possible to fix it? Thanks!
@jon I updated the OpLab to the latest firmware (v860), and there is something rather odd that I am experiencing with the Din Sync output of the OpLab.

I am using the Elektron Rytm as a masterclock, and it is connected to the MIDI In of the OpLab. The MIDI Out works fine, and the Din Sync Out is transmitting clock messages.

When I connect the MIDI output of the Rytm (configured to send Din Sync), straight to my Eurorack sequencer module (which accepts Din Sync), using an Expert Sleepers DJ-1200 cable (http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/accessories.html), the module would respond when I press 'Play', or 'Stop', on the Rytm.

However, if I were to make this connection via the OpLab (Rytm MIDI Out -> OpLab MIDI In; OpLab Din Sync Out -> Eurorack sequencer module Din Sync In), the sequencer module would receive clock, and 'Start' messages, but not 'Stop' signals. The sequencer would continue to play on, even after pressing 'Stop' on the Rytm (and successive presses of 'Stop' does not do what is intended).

Hence, I would like to ask, is this a bug, and if so, would it be possible to fix it? Thanks!

Anyone? Please? = )

@z3r01: Hmm… I’m using an octatrack and a TR-606 to test the oplab DIN sync and that works fine. I’m not sure what the Rytm sends out on MIDI (or if there are any settings to configure it?), but oplab listens for MIDI start/continue and stop. These turn the Start-Stop (pin 1) signal on and off respectively on the DIN sync connector.

To find out exactly what’s wrong, try the following:
1. Send MIDI clock and start/stop from something else, e.g. a computer, via oplab to DIN-sync.
2. Plug the DJ-1200 into the oplab DIN-sync and to a Gate input on your modular. Confirm that the Gate turns on and off when you send MIDI start/stop to the oplab.
3. Use a MIDI monitor to see what exactly is coming out of the Rytm when it’s in MIDI mode. Does it send proper Stop messages?

I’d like to figure this out, so if you try this, please report the results back here.
Hi Jon,
Thank you for your answer.
I don't have any special setting on the OT. It's just set to send clock and transport.
The OT is connected to the Midi DIN IN of the OPlab.
On a midi track of the OT, I send a note on channel 9 to the OP1.
Then the OP1's endless sequencer sends notes to a Nord Drum 2 connected on the Midi Out DIN of the OPLab (also on Channel 9).

Edit: Oh, and Ableton is set to be synced (slave) to the Oplab output (Usb device). But the clock is inaccurate and keeps on changing.

Is it possible that you have some sort of MIDI echo turned on in Ableton? I.e. the PC sends back whatever comes in on USB-MIDI. In that case, a sent note will trigger the OP-1 sequencer, the OP-1 will send a note, it bounces back in the PC, triggers the sequencer again, etc.

This will quickly fill up buffers everywhere, cause MIDI lag and possibly make something crash (I’ll make sure it’s not the oplab). To test, just disconnect the PC and see if you still get the same behavior. If it goes away, have a look at your Ableton MIDI routing.

Updated the original post with new version (rev. 861)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33824401/oplab_861_beta.zip

New features:
- sync mode for Pocket Operator, Volca/Monotron and modulars.
- separate MIDI channels for CV interface and expansion port

Especially grateful for swift testing of this, the official OS release is very soon.
See the text file included for instructions.
@z3r01: Hmm... I'm using an octatrack and a TR-606 to test the oplab DIN sync and that works fine. I'm not sure what the Rytm sends out on MIDI (or if there are any settings to configure it?), but oplab listens for MIDI start/continue and stop. These turn the Start-Stop (pin 1) signal on and off respectively on the DIN sync connector.

To find out exactly what's wrong, try the following:
1. Send MIDI clock and start/stop from something else, e.g. a computer, via oplab to DIN-sync.
2. Plug the DJ-1200 into the oplab DIN-sync and to a Gate input on your modular. Confirm that the Gate turns on and off when you send MIDI start/stop to the oplab.
3. Use a MIDI monitor to see what exactly is coming out of the Rytm when it's in MIDI mode. Does it send proper Stop messages?

I'd like to figure this out, so if you try this, please report the results back here.

Hi @jon, thanks for the reply. I will try out your suggestions tomorrow, when I have some spare time, and will get back to you asap. = )

I was troubleshooting a couple of days back, and I was thinking, there is a possibility that the OpLab may not be the problem at all. I am trying to get another cable similar to the DJ-1200, and also will try to borrow a different module that accepts Din Sync, from a friend, just to be sure. Ultimately, could be the cable, or the module that I have that is the source of this weird behaviour.

Another quick question, if I may, is it normal for the LED for the OpLab’s Din Sync output to continue blinking, even after when the main MIDI clock source has stopped?

Thanks again, @jon, and I truly appreciate the help, and the updates for the OpLab. = )

To add, just downloaded the latest revision for the OpLab, and was reading the update notes. That ‘Jack Sync’ mode is awesome!

Been looking forward to having the OpLab do that, and pretty stoked to see it implemented. Can’t wait to try it out tomorrow.

Thanks @jon!

@z3r01: Most MIDI devices send clock all the time and just use start/stop messages to indicate whether something should be running. This is probably the reason why the Sync LED keeps blinking after you’ve pressed stop.

@Jon Can we have it so that the 4 LEDs light up to reflect the mode like this:

0- No leds lit
1- 1st led lit
2- 2nd led lit
3- 3rd led lit
4- 4th led lit
5- 1st and 4th leds lit
6- 2nd and 4th leds lit
7- 3rd and 4th leds lit
8- 1st, 3rd and 4th leds lit
9- all leds lit

This would make it easy to see which mode it is in in a darker environment :slight_smile:

@darenager didn’t have the chance to update my Oplab to the new 861 beta, but does it affect the sync expander behavior?

Nope :slight_smile: it even works in mode 5, so you get 6 clock outputs in total, albeit 2 of them are duplicates but handy for when you do not want to chain the PO’s.

@Jon Not sure if this is an Oplab bug or OP1 bug, but when the OP1 is set to send clock, on first try Oplab does not always send, the way to fix it is to change from tape to synth then back to tape on OP1 and then it works as expected, this is when using Oplab in mode 0.

I’ve noticed this too. I believe it’s not just clock but all MIDI messages. If anybody finds a reliable way to reproduce it, please let me know.

Is it possible that you have some sort of MIDI echo turned on in Ableton? I.e. the PC sends back whatever comes in on USB-MIDI. In that case, a sent note will trigger the OP-1 sequencer, the OP-1 will send a note, it bounces back in the PC, triggers the sequencer again, etc.
This will quickly fill up buffers everywhere, cause MIDI lag and possibly make something crash (I'll make sure it's not the oplab). To test, just disconnect the PC and see if you still get the same behavior. If it goes away, have a look at your Ableton MIDI routing.

Hi Jon, I understand. I think I experienced the same issue even without Ableton.
I don’t think there was a midi feedback loop, I would have seen it in Midi Monitor. But I have to reproduce the configuration and make new tests with 861, just to be sure.

And thanks for mode 5 ! it avoids building weird sync structures with the OT or Max
New official OS: https://teenageengineering.com/downloads/osupdates

New manual: https://teenageengineering.com/guides/oplab

No time to add any more features for now, but thanks for all the help and good ideas.
I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while if anything else comes up. Have fun!

Thanks for the OS update @jon

Is it possible that you have some sort of MIDI echo turned on in Ableton?

Also, if you have a Mac, check you don’t have “test setup” on in Audio MIDI setup. That gave me similar issues with different hardware!

@jon The manual is great. Lots of details and the expansion all documented. Now I really want an Oplab!

I think you should add “do not run with Oplab” to the notice :wink: