Oplab OS 859 beta (update: OS 861 released)

^^^ 2 x Op-1 AND 2 x Oplab!.. serious stuff! :slight_smile:

I’m a TE fanboi!

hello everyone . i am checking new OS: mode 5 with Makenoise RENE sequenser . its work well , but the clock dont run if you dont push start|run in the master clock device.
in modular world the clocks dont run or stop , clock reset signal is used for that . this signal is the signal output from the gate OUT of oplab in Mode 5 .
would be more interesting than the clock for modular never stop.
what you think? excuse me for my poor English

I see what you mean, I considered it but wasn’t sure which way would be the most useful. It’s consistent with how MIDI clock works (normally always running) but I decided on the way it is now (stopping the clock and doing an internal “clock reset” on start) to also work with modules that don’t have a clock reset input. It’s also because that’s how the PO-sync output in the same mode works, since pocket operators don’t have start/stop/reset inputs.

Do not have Monotribe.
Why wouldn’t Oplab be able to do the multiplication? A mode where the gate IN takes the clock from modular, and clocks all other outputs would be so useful…

It could be done for sure, I’ll put it down for future feature suggestions.

However, slaving an OP-1 to modular sync as you suggested before might not be so straightforward. The OP-1 MIDI clock input works more like a tap-tempo, i.e. it doesn’t directly trigger the sequencers but rather the OP-1 internal clock gradually adjusts its tempo to the incoming clock. Because of this, if an incoming clock changes its tempo, the OP-1 will adjust to it but may get out of phase. It’s not really possible to change this because of how OP-1 handles clock and tape sync internally. Adding another layer of clock interpolation (in the oplab) would probably aggravate this problem.

If you want perfect synchronization with an OP-1, the OP-1 has to be the master.

@jon : first at all thanks for respond, and thanks for new oplab OS .
I understand that clock for Po and volcas must stop , but for me and many modular users is important to have continue clock in Modular clock out 1ppqn , in modulars the continue clock is used for a lot of modules , not only sequencers .
You can add an option to activate 2 different options whit the User switch or the Select button . If it isn’t complicated to you .
Also the clock for Po , volca and modular will be interesting in mode 4 ( oplabmasterclock)

I’m not trying to argue with you guys here, but in 14 years of modular use I have never personally needed a clock that continues to run whilst everything else is stopped - could you give a scenario where this would be needed?

I don’t have a horse in this race, but for example sometimes clocked delays do weird things when external clock is interrupted… so I suppose that could be an issue? But I don’t know what @quemadaconflash has in mind.

@darenager : I mix vinyls whit live electronic , I use some bpm detectors like redsound soundbytemicro , an others integrated in some DJ mixers . This send midi clock but not start or stop signal . In slave I have tb303 and tr808 , whit run free ( I cut run cable in dynsinq cable ) . And I use a make noise shared system . and oplab whit op1 this is my live scenario . At studio I have many others modular gear.
What clock you use in your modulars?
Is important to have continue clock for delays like echophone , and another modules like logic gates , sequential switch, synqued lfos, etc .

in roland dynsync clock never stop . roland sync is the same as modular clocks but 24ppqn .

some examples:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-midi-to-clock this have 2 options : continue and not.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-160 clasic clock divider have clock in for contunue clock and reset for the start gate signal .
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/make-noise-brains it have RUN IN .
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-metropolis- it is a modern sequenser . it have a run button , but if you don’t have clock signal , it can’t run in slave . ( it have own clock , but the idea is use it slave )

Ok, I see. When I had a Euro system I used a Flame Clockwork as my master clock, yeah I’m well aware that dinsync clock and midi clock are always running, in fact so is Monotribe/Volca clock, but in my case I see this as a disadvantage, because it can often mean countering start lag, for example if the start command comes between clock cycles, some devices react more slowly than others. The scenario gets worse when dividing down from 24ppqn (midi,dinsync) to 4ppqn (most modular sequencers) as the start lag can be more than a couple of milliseconds which is very noticable. It is because of my extreme fussiness over timing why I prefer clock only when running - that is on devices that run at divisions of midi/din clock.

But anyway thanks for the explanation, I certainly think there is a good reason to have both, perhaps like you suggested earlier using the “user” switch to determine the behaviour, that would be nice and simple I think.

@quemadaconflash: Good points. It’s also consistent with midi clock and DIN sync behavior.

Other modular guys: Are there any situations where you would NOT want a running clock, provided you still have the start/stop output?

Also agreed that the jack sync should be enabled in clockmaker mode.

@jon (got 2 OP1 and 2 Oplabs!)

gold star!

@jon I assume you are talking about the 16th note clock output? I would find the clock running all the time of limited use if there was no way to change it, for example if you want to sync a SH-101 or Minibrute sequencer, also I have a few drum machines that require a 16th pulse, and many of the sequencers in my (Bugbrand) system to not have a run input, they simply react to clock, so the start/stop output does not help here.

So I would much prefer the option to switch it as required.
Another thing to consider is a reset on stop facility, so when master stops the output briefly goes high to initiate a reset on external sequencers. (this is not the same as using the start/stop output and then say using a logic module to invert it, because then when it starts again reset would be pulled low which can cause problems). I know this may complicate matters to implement but if there is a way of doing it (perhaps with the Oplab gate input? or another mode?) it would be handy.

Whilst I'm rambling on about features a clocked LFO from the CV output would be super handy, even something like a staircase mode for cyclic filter sweeps etc.

Maybe a good mode would be a clock mode that is set up similarly to the “Single Source” (mode 0), where the user can use the SELECT button to select which source will be the clock source…

@darenager you are right whit sh101

@jon if its no dificult to you ,please can you make the 2 options selectables whit Select button ||| or mode6 like mode5 but with continue clock ?

thank you in advance

I find a bug in my oplabmode5 :: when used as master clock via the op 1 USB, OPLAB clock outputs not work.
I must first use a device connected to MIDI input , for activate clock outputs , and then switch to the USB input for these clock outputs remain activated and thus run the OP1 as master.
the problem comes when a liveshow only took my OP1 as MasterClock.
this also would bring problems to users who only use op1 oplab and PocketOperators.Please try your oplab only with op1 and PO .

I hope you can understand me , I am using a translator. my intention is to help

have a nice weekend Messrs .

^ try this, with OP1 as clock master, change from tape to synth then back to tape, this gets it working here.

@darenager : thanks 4 this solution ! work this way .

@quemadaconflash & @darenager: Thanks for the input, I’ll think about it.

As for the bug you describe, it’s a problem I’ve seen before with OP-1 and oplab together (it’s not just sync but all MIDI messages). Switching from tape to synth as daren describes helps temporarily. If you can find a reliable way to reproduce it, it will be a great help for the OP-1 guys to help fixing it.

hey guys…

@jon

maybe i’ve found a bug—iam building an Lightorgan thing with the oplab and and some good looking led chains.
4 chains hooked up for testing…tomorrow i’ll get 8+ for chaining up that light from the Future…!

the input works on ground and output as it should.

midi in from OP-1 flashes the led’s from 0 to 3,3 Volts!! Quiet Nice and everything’s fine.:wink:

but if i switch to the machinedrum to use the incoming midi signal the led’s flash tight as usual but they are not as high voltaged like the incoming signal from an Operator1.

i can still reproduce it… its cool aswell, but higher lights are still stunning. :slight_smile:

by the way–Great JOB!! …and THX for sending out my Pocket Operators! #188428 greetings to Emil K. …now i can proof myself for a local product pres.:slight_smile:

Try lengthening the pulse a bit by making the machinedrum midi notes a bit longer?

i don’t know if that’s possible…

...ok. if i press the trig Buttons on my machinedrum without a running sequencer it is still working from 0 to 3,3 V.

but if i place the trigs like 4X Bassdrum for example it Triggers the LED's not as High as Possible.

So there must be a difference between Manual trig and sequenced trig. @jon

THX

@JohnnyEgo - this could be to do with the way the Machinedrum sends midi data when sequencing from internal sounds, try setting up a midi machine track on the MD and set the LEN parameter to 4/32, make sure the note and channel are within the Oplab range, then try putting a bunch of trigs into the sequencer and see if it works properly.