Oplab OS 859 beta (update: OS 861 released)

i think that will work as it should.

but its Hardcore Stunning if you trig in a bass drum with loooong decay in sound and your LED prepared wall will make your eyes bleed. :slight_smile:

man it’s stunning tight!

I'll try to reproduce it, it's almost the exact same setup I have. Do you have any special settings on the octa? Your setup isn't too complicated.

I agree about the "no chat in this thread", but credit where credit is due: Baby Jesus and I didn't make most of the PO-12 software, that was Jonatan. I'm responsible for the hardware design of PO, OP-1 and oplab and have taken over the oplab OS since the guy who made it doesn't work for TE anymore. I know there's been a lot of speculation over the infrequent updates; that's the reason.

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for your hard work.
Will you also assume the role for OP-1 OS?

No pressure, just hope!
:slight_smile:

@happybird_e: Heh heh, nope. Sorry!

By the way everyone, if you make anything cool (including actual music) with oplab, put up a video! I’m really curious how people use the thing.

Is there a team member tasked for OP-1 OS updates?

@jon maths driving op1 http://youtu.be/uPNjQKobrs8

nice! are you CV controlling some parameter in the sampler?

This is what my oplab din sync does to my 808. It’s nuts. I’m using ableton in to the oplab via usb > out din sync to my 808. Totally sucks. This is a straight 4/4 kick. and it messes it up this bad. I’ve also tested it with my kenton and rytm and it syncs fine.

Any suggestions? I’ve already done the os update. This is totally unusable. :frowning:

@jchiu2: Wow, that is terrible. Hopefully, you can help me figure out what’s wrong. I’m testing it with MIDI-ox on PC and a TR-606 and it works fine, so let’s figure out what’s different.

1. Mac or PC?
2. Make sure we have the same setup: connect only computer & 808, mode 0 on oplab, select mini-USB as input
3. Can you generate sync with some other software? On PC, try midi-ox and “View -> MIDI sync -> (play)”. Any difference?
4. Is it just the DIN sync that gets messed up? If you can connect some MIDI device to oplab, does that get correct sync from ableton?
5. Are you sure the OS update worked OK? This was an issue in the previous OS. To check, update again, make sure the LEDs are cycling when it receives sysex data, and that you have normal operation (without resetting the oplab) when the update is complete.

@jchiu2 I had a similar pb between my OT and its Volca satellites.
Turns out the culprit was the cables I used to convey the sync signal.
Changing the cables solved this pb completely.

Dinsync works fine here, could it be dodgy clock from Ableton? I seem to remember that Ableton midi clock is apalling…

Can someone help me please. I am trying to update my opal but when I hold the select button down during startup the leds won’t flash. I have tried USB and DC power options.

Hope I haven’t burnt something out.

Thanks in advance

^ I just connect mine to computer whilst holding select and it works, try connecting mini USB cable to Oplab first hold select then connect other end of USB cable to computer - does that work for you?

Thanks Darenager,

Unfortunately no, the LEDS on the small USB and HOST B are lighting up but thats it.

Does it matter what mode its in?

What about the USER, HZ, GATE switches?

Thanks in advance

By the way my OPLAB is a very early model Number 19. Not sure if the hardware would make any difference.

Hmm, should not matter - have you ever updated your Oplab since getting it? It might be that the bootloader was added in a later version - I’m sorry but I do not remember. I suggest contacting TE

Already have, thanks

Hi @jon

The question of having OP-1 synced to clock from modular via Oplab came up again here:

http://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1069/quick-sync-and-cv-question#latest

I am wondering if there is any chance / plan on implementing a mode for Oplab that would allow slaving Op-1 to external CV clock…

I very much hope so!
:wink:

This is a must have!
We need to be able to sync the op-1 or even midi and usb via the cv inputs AND sequence external gear with the op-1 via the cv outputs and/or midi.
Passing on the sync to the sync 24 output too.

It would be nice (and I think this has been discussed before) but there is no time for that in the foreseeable future. Also, the internal sync of the OP-1 is linked to the Tape speed and not very well suited for external clocking. To get perfect sync including Tape, use the OP-1 as sync source, and generate modular/MIDI/DIN sync with the oplab.

I do understand there are some things you can’t do with this setup, like having both CV and modular sync out. I guess that’s just one of those times where you have to, I don’t know, GET TWO OPLABS!! :smiley:

A pro-tip if you have any gear that can send on different MIDI channels and want both CV and Sync out is to send notes to the CV output (channel 15) and use the expansion port (channel 16) to generate sync.

The expansion port has 3.3V output, but if your modular can detect a 3.3V pulse (or amplify it to a detectable level), you can send notes to the expansion port channel to get 12 different digital outputs. It can be used for drum triggers, totally custom sync generation etc.

To hook it up, make a TRS cable where the sleeve connects to oplab GND and the tip to one of the outputs on the expansion port.