Oplab OS 859 beta (update: OS 861 released)

“no time for that”

that’s terrible news!
but thanks for being clear about it.

Hey Jon,

Great to have your input on the OPLAB. Just curious, is there any suggested reading you could recommend. What are the chances of a guide from TE. I would learn so much if I had some exercises where I could learn how to connect the OPLAB to the OP-1, Sensors and some expansion ports. The OPLAB school videos are fun and great but move too quick for me.
For instance, when connecting devices to the expansion port what cables does TE recommend? Stranded core, thickness AWG, solid core?
Is there an OPLAB Book for Dummies?

Thanks again

"no time for that" that's terrible news! but thanks for being clear about it.
No problem. We get lots of feature requests and have to be a bit selective not to end up with something overly complicated or expensive. Our philosophy has never really been to have every conceivable feature, but rather to find a good balance between simplicity and usefulness.

That said, oplab is a bit of a special case and I do take note of these things for future consideration. Modular sync to MIDI clock would make a lot of sense in jacksync mode.

@Operabass: No, but we’ve been talking of making something like it. Like example setups, experiment descriptions or training videos more along the line of the OP-1 school. I think it’s a bit hard to understand from just the manual how much you can actually do with it.

Thanks for the input!

For the expansion port, single-stranded 22 AWG wire works well. I can also highly recommend Sparkfun’s jumper wires:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12795
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13191
(look around the site for more different versions)
"no time for that" that's terrible news! but thanks for being clear about it.
No problem. We get lots of feature requests and have to be a bit selective not to end up with something overly complicated or expensive. Our philosophy has never really been to have every conceivable feature, but rather to find a good balance between simplicity and usefulness.

That said, oplab is a bit of a special case and I do take note of these things for future consideration. Modular sync to MIDI clock would make a lot of sense in jacksync mode.

exactly… my impression was that OpLab ethos was “connect everything to everything”

It would be nice (and I think this has been discussed before) but there is no time for that in the foreseeable future. Also, the internal sync of the OP-1 is linked to the Tape speed and not very well suited for external clocking. To get perfect sync including Tape, use the OP-1 as sync source, and generate modular/MIDI/DIN sync with the oplab.

I do understand there are some things you can't do with this setup, like having both CV and modular sync out. I guess that's just one of those times where you have to, I don't know, GET TWO OPLABS!! :D

Or use one of my SyncLab expansions :slight_smile:

http://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/12802/#Comment_12802

Still got some available, PM me for details.

Thanks Jon,

Will check out Spark Fun, I anticipate more Official applications for OPLAB when available.
Cheers

Hey, can some tell me if their Oplab is outputting cv at a higher octave?
When I have my op-1 connected to the oplab and cv to my modular it seems like the voltage is at least an octave too high. Also I can use the octave up keys on my op1 fine but when I choose to go a few octaves down it dosent work.
Sorry for my rubbish explanation I’m just trying to figure out what’s actually going wrong.
It is definitely favouring the upper octaves not the lower ones. I think it is happening with usb midi from my computer too… I’ll confirm soon.

No one is noticing this?

just now getting around to updating my Oplab now, I can try that in a while.

Amuses me they recommend Elektron’s C6 sysex tool :slight_smile:

My Microbrute jumps 4+ octaves as soon as I connect the Oplab’s CV1 Out to Pitch In o.O specific, 4 octaves and 5 semitones.

Also, when sending MIDI from Ableton, the Oplab is only spitting out a C3 pitch no matter what note I play, as if it was only sending Gate.

Mode 0.

Okay, now I have them matched on octaves (somehow), but when I change notes on the keyboard vs ableton, the pitches are all wonky until I play the same pitch on the synth itself and ableton, then they match.

Final test, I play a C3 from Ableton, and did a major scale and that lower C sounded sour, it didn’t quite go down enough, and when I unplug Pitch In and trigger the note, there’s that proper C3. Plugging in the Oplab into Pitch In this time raised the pitch by a few cents.

Never really noticed on the modular since I was just droning/noisemaking I guess.

I don’t have the right cables to test this with my Qunexus or Analog Keys. I am also running with the Oplab plugged in to AC, and even removed @darenager’s synclab just to be fully sure (no reason it should do anything, just wanted to be thorough).

@adh82: Oplab outputs CV down to near 0 volts. What note and octave this is interpreted as really comes down to your synth.

If you have a voltmeter, you can probe the CV output and confirm whether this is indeed the case or if you have an issue with your oplab.

@KrisM: The low C may be a bit off as the oplab CV output doesn’t quite go all the way to 0 (it’s usually around 0.05V min).

I love the Oplab. My one request is to be able to use one of the toggle switches to turn the quantize on and off so that I can send swing through from other devices.

Can you update any model of Oplab to the new firmware? I’m thinking about getting a 2nd hand one, anything I need to look out for?

Thanks!

Nice forum this, easy on the eyes and laidback vibe : )

@SOOTY yes you can update an old one, it just uses midi sysex to update.

Aha ok great! Thanks. I’d read some conflicting stuff online, cheers for confirming! Like your avatar btw: classic : )

I love the Oplab. My one request is to be able to use one of the toggle switches to turn the quantize on and off so that I can send swing through from other devices.

Midi clock doesn’t have any concept of swing; it’s just a straight 24 pulses per quarter note clock which the receiving end may or may not apply swing to. It’s also not quantized by oplab, just passed along “as is” to the selected output.

It is possible to make a MIDI clock swing by varying the rate of the sync pulses, and I do believe there are devices that do this (or a swinging clock can be generated from a computer). This will also make the oplab output swing.

Can anybody tell me a way to check what version of the OS is presently installed on an OP LAB?

Please make Firmware open Source!