Organelle owners? Quick question.

Thinking of selling my microsampler to part fund an organelle. One thing that I can’t find a straight answer on -

With the current PD patch library is there a patch where I Can I store a bank of samples that can be browsed and individually selected then that one sample played polyphonically spread across the keys? If so, how many samples can be stored, and how long per sample? Is there a time strech option so all notes are same duration up and down chromatic? Microsampler is handy for this kind of thing, it holds way more (non-drum) samples than OP-1 and does polyphonic where my Octatrack is limited to monophonic…just wondering if Organelle can fully replace Microsampler in this area?

Thanks

It’s weird, back in the days this polyphonic feature was a feature any sampler has had…

Yeah it’s the one thing I miss really badly on Octatrack… Hoped for a while that Elektron would add some kind of ‘polyphonic’ machine and enable dynamic polyphony across tracks. But it’s not gonna happen.

If organelle can replace my microsampler, and add all the other stuff organelle offers, I’d be covered with OT, OP-1, Organelle for live setup that fits in a rucksack/carry on :wink:

the Organelle is more about knowing puredata and storing all your patches into it! if you need a function you have to build it.

btw…raspberry pi with a good display is about 80 bucks…gives you a lot more options…and you can switch to control mode with your OP-1 and you will have the better Organelle layout. :slight_smile: (octave up/down etc)

the Organelle is more about knowing puredata and storing all your patches into it! if you need a function you have to build it.
btw....raspberry pi with a good display is about 80 bucks.....gives you a lot more options.....and you can switch to control mode with your OP-1 and you will have the better Organelle layout. :) (octave up/down etc)
What's the latency like on something non-dedicated like that though?

Someone has posted around here a Pi-based setup that runs Sunvox tracker. Iirc it takes about 30 seconds to go from power on to playable. No idea on the latency though, or which Pi they used. Iirc the Organelle is about 10 seconds

Yeah, Organelle is 12 seconds, according to the website. I’m still highly considering getting one, especially since nobody seems to be able to give me an answer about how a Pi would actually perform, latency-wise, compared to the Organelle.

It’s certainly an interesting idea, and adds to the DIY aesthetic, but I guess the reason why I’d want to buy the Organelle is because it’s an all-in-one device and can work out of the box, without having to configure/streamline an OS. The only downside is that it isn’t battery operated. Then again, my mixer and some of my effects units need external power anyway, so in a live rig it wouldn’t matter too much.

Rasp Pi is pretty powerful and the Organelle is just a single board computer too. The Rasp Pi for puredata is more fiddly - need external interface, midi keyboard, screen - plus need to do set up stuff that is all in the build of the Organelle. I have both up and running and don’t have any latency issues though.

Ok the Ultimate Plan to kick 'Organelles butt is to....

BUY:

Raspbi 3

cheap USB Soundcard (10 bucks)

SD Card (8gb) class 10

cheap tablet or any old iPhone/Android device

WI-FI

USB Midi Keyboard (minimum setup 4 rotary knobs/2 Octave keyboard/1 switch that's working tactile like a push button)--OP-1 is perfect for that Job in Control Mode)

MAKE:

'Noobs' on that SD Card (raspberry.org)

put the SD Card into the Raspberry (and Install Raspbian)---follow on Screen Instructions

In Desktop Environment open the Internet Browser and Search for 'VNC Server' (there's 1 Major program with a Raspberry Pi Distro)

Download that with the Raspberry Pi (in the meantime you can Search for 'VNC Viewer' inside the App Store/Google Play Store it's free)

Install (VNC Server) on the Raspberry, like you would on a normal PC / Mac (double-click).....done.

..Spit out your IP Adress inside LX Terminal (type: ifconfig or ip addr) write it down and it should look like a normal IP Adress 192.234.345 bla bla

Make a Connection between tablet (VNC Viewer) and your Raspberry (VNC Server) Easy. (you will need wifi)

If you have a proper Connection go back to LX Terminal and type IN: sudo apt-get install puredata (you will see how Puredata is getting Installed)

Done! :)

....next step if you have a proper connection and puredata installed!!-----

Type in LX Terminal:

sudo nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart (it is the Nano editor for Autostarting Tasks....and it's easy if you know how to handle it and you have to do it this way, trust me)

now you will see some tasks with an @ before each of them! Don't delete anything and Scroll down underneath the last @blablabla

Type in:

@puredata

@VNC Server-Show Status

press ctrl x then J and Enter! Done

If you now reboot the Raspberry VNC and puredata will start Automatic and you don't need a keyboard or Mouse anymore.

look around, download Organelle Patches, open Mother-Desktop.pd look for Midi/Audio Config (puredata preferences) and BOOM!!! Saving more than 400,- bucks.

(and guys trust me,please don't search via google to solve something cause it's a Pain to read that OFF-Topic Shit and stuff,tho.....i've done that for you :)

Well. Does it work…?:stuck_out_tongue: I’ve never even used linux. I couldn’t find any useful guides other than yours. No YouTube-videos demonstrating Organelle-patches on Pi. Me? Pioneer in PD on Pi…? Eeeh…

Cool idea @JohnnyEgo … I might have a look into how viable it is. I do have a cheap USB soundcard lying around so it could work.

How do you change patches though? There’d have to be some additional hacking involved to provide a patch selection interface, yeah?

The other downside is just how unwieldy a setup like that would be. Pi, iPod Touch/tablet, USB soundcard, USB controller(s), USB hub… it could be built into an enclosure but it’d all be fairly large. I’m also worried that I’d get super burned out just trying to set it all up and just have everything lying around doing nothing.

It’s working a lot faster compared to the Organelle and you can Run full patches Simultan.

the Setup is really small, you will find a place underneath the Display in a case of choice.

trust me i will help you to build it, though. My Guideline is written by myself and that after a lot of troubleshooting. so nobody has to take all puzzle pieces by themselves.
takecare

…ah… and @psedolux it’s like you get into the Brain of the PI with your Tablet/Phone you have to open a Patch inside PureData like you would open a note in Word/Excel something. …but you can Save this behavior and Autostart will Open your desired Preferences within PureData. After choosing and opening one or more Patches you are still able to close the connection and play with it without a Display. PD is still able to Spit out all Organelle Display movements by default it’s normal Monitor behavior. try it

I’m intrigued! Which soundcard do you use?

@JohnnyEgo it’s certainly an idea. I’ve decided to upgrade my studio computer first before making the decision to get the organelle, so I’ve got a bit more time to try things like this out. It still seems a bit fiddly compared to the convenience of an all-in-one box though.

I’m definitely interested in what a Pi can do performance-wise, since I was considering getting one to simply convert USB-MIDI to sync pulses so I could use my OP-1 with nanoloop/pocket operators…

very tempting. how do you switch patches (without display).

You can VNC in from an ipad, laptop, phone etc.

yes. but an self-containing-solution would be nice … like the organelle …

Yeah, that seems to be another drawback.

Having said that, I just bought a pi, and have a cheap touchscreen for it on the way. My main use for it initially will be just as a sync box but I’ll see how elaborate I can make it. Hopefully I can get the audio latency down enough for it to be usable as a live processor/sequencer…