PO-32 Tonic!!

wonder if you could simply use a particular sound scrambler that tics the right frequencies into the mic to generate “random” patches?

They have a story about Jespers daughter who designed the display graphics..

Nice, so TENCHO is staying then! I like it!

So what could this 'lock' break out do?!

It’s a “write protect” lock. So you load patterns and sounds, break the tab and keep them forever. Source: http://cdm.link/2017/01/po-32-tonic-complete-drum-synth-pocket-89/

So just to be clear, the microphone will only transfer sounds, but not sample them?

It says that TE calls this a new platform. I suppose they upped the beef on the processor and maybe added some memory. Together with the Mic the PO Sampler could come true. And since they already have the accoustic coupler code to transfer data we might be able to transfer OP-1 drumkits to a sampler PO…

I hardly keep up w/ the softsynth world so I had to look up Microtonic. According to the website, it is a 100% pure synth - no samples.

http://soniccharge.com/microtonic

That would, then, imply that the mic is indeed only for patch/pattern transfer, not sampling.

Come to think of it, you could program the OP-1 with an FSK transfer mode as well for directly transferring data to the PO or even … an App. Maybe there’s some hidden stuff in the new OS even.

So does PO-32 feature most of the drum synthesis of Microtonic? Or does PO-32 just playback what you fed it with two editable parameters?

I’d still get it.

@pianobar thanks, you actually read the CDM post :wink:

exciting though. an upgradeable PO. I.e. firmware upgradeable. awesome. possibly new features in the future. that said this seems like an extension of the PO12 another drum pocket operator. and Unless they upgraded the sequencing functionality Ill most likely be skipping this unit. what I mean is the PO12 has two major flaws before its the ultimate drum machine. First the samples cant be pitched infinitely or chromatically. either would allow much more interesting tuning and matching the drum sounds to anything! second would be off/odd times, things other then 4/4. If I could choose step length for each sound source you could get amazing poly rhythms going. similarly like the white dots in the sequencer of the op1 a preprogrammed arrangement of euclidean style sequences would be neat and fill a similar need as step length per drum sound.

If both of those needs of mine are met with the tonic. Full microtuning of samples(seems likely given the synth app companion.) and step length(for polyrythm) ill buy the PO32 at launch. I bet they skip both and Ill just ignore this new product. ill try and remain hopefull. OPZOPZOPZOPZOPZ!

Is there anything stopping people from recording the tones used to transfer data to and from the PO-32 and playing them back via a computer as a way to trade kits?

Why charge +$30 over previous PO series? Unless they ditiched the Gecko processor for a much better one (unlikelly), adding a mic and maybe upgrading it with more RAM/flash doesn’t seem to justify that. And you have to spend another +$50 to get the plugin to tweek the sounds if I got it right! Sounds too expensive to me, better save the money for an OP-Z instead.

Note that the preset update thing could have been implemented on previous PO series by using the audio input (similar to Volca Sample), but I guess this is coming only now because of the partneship with Sonic Charge that is providing the app.

In the story covering Jesper’s daughter designing the PO-32 graphics, it’s interesting to get an idea of scale of the OP-Z beside an OP-1 and Apple keyboard.

http://cdm.link/2017/01/teenage-engineerings-new-drum-synth-ui-drawn-9-year-old-girl/

CB
I don't get why everyone is still so obsessed over a sampler though.

I think the limitless flexibility that only a sampler can provide together with the extreme portability of the PO makes for a self-contained, diversely creative work-horse that has the unique appeal brought to life by the motto “the best camera in the word…is the one you happen to have in your pocket”.

The only thing wrong with this picture in my opinion, would be the fragility of the things in certain environments and use-cases :slight_smile:

CB

In the story covering Jesper's daughter designing the PO-32 graphics, it's interesting to get an idea of scale of the OP-Z beside an OP-1 and Apple keyboard.

http://cdm.link/2017/01/teenage-engineerings-new-drum-synth-ui-drawn-9-year-old-girl/

CB

More interested in the bottom photo, that room looks amazing, does Jesper live in a castle?

Hopefully they replaced the MCU by the Giant Gecko with 1MB flash, that would allow up to 8s sampling at the current codec rate/resolution (48KHz/16bit). That plus the mic would indeed be a new platform that would allow creating a sampler PO. But I doubt they did that…

Is there anything stopping people from recording the tones used to transfer data to and from the PO-32 and playing them back via a computer as a way to trade kits?

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t do this. The PO won’t know where the sound is coming from. And a computer doesn’t produce any special sounds that playing back through a phone or whatever couldn’t do. That would certainly be a great way to distribute “presets” amongst everyone – and also to have some stored for on-the-go changing of sounds.

If nothing else it’s a step in a direction for TE.
Not my cup of tea, I like coffee.
Good luck to TE, I’m forever in their debt for the OP-1 magic soooo…

Not being a computer guy this PO is not for me, cool concept though and great that the daughter got to design the graphics.

Actually, having a bunch of audio files for different preset banks stored on your phone for audio transfer seems fairly convenient…hopefully there will be a nice collection for folks without the software to download and use. I could see TE even providing some extra presets on their site - they’re usually nice like that!

PHINALLY