PO Cases

^ Haha, what a wild bath toy it would be (perfect for the PO-SUBmarine) There IS a built-in speaker too.

Pounced! Bought all three cases.

Wonder how daft I’d look with all three swinging from my neck!?

@ghostly606, you would look uber geek chic! haha

I caved and got all 3. Life’s too short to have a naked PO. :wink:

Pounced! Bought all three cases.

Wonder how daft I’d look with all three swinging from my neck!?
that nerd blingin

39 euros for the cases. Somehow I just KNEW they would be that expensive.

Almost the same price as the PO’s themselves!

I’ve ordered all 3 PO’s and will probably end up making my own case for them. I’ve got an idea in mind that I’ll try if I have time and if it works then it is something that could be produced en-mass and sold :slight_smile:

Well, the cases don’t sell in the numbers iPhone cases do, and they’re not that much more expensive than a good designer case for a smartphone of similar material - which requires less printing on to make logos and so forth.

Now, if I were an enterprising type with connections in Shenzhen to get stuff made cheap, I’d commission a single case that perhaps was mildly less stylish than the TE one, but transparent, with a slit for the hanger tab that could be cut through if desired, and space to allow the wire stand to remain. And no printing on it at all.

Regardless, I’ll buy three cases when they’re readily available, I don’t need them urgently.

I’m hoping TE will release a 3D template file, to allow people to custom print their own cases. I’d be tempted to CNC one out of something tough.

I was considering trying to make a case out of Kydex, which is typically used in making knife sheaths and gun holsters. Very durable, can be bought in small sheets on Amazon, and is moldable in your oven.

@sjdude cnc delron would be equal to kydex

@dimi3 - I’m sure you could do a much more precise job with Delron and CNC!! :slight_smile:

One thing the cast silicon does that is harder to do with DIY materials is to allow the LED indicators adjacent to the buttons show through. Unless you were to not cover the buttons, or unless the case material is translucent, not sure how else you’d provide for that in a DIY case. Ideas?

I don’t know how many have said this already, but $40 for the case is stupid. Just have to be on record about this. I mean $10 maybe, but no moving parts, nothing electronic, etc.: TE’s price for cases is wholly rediculous.

I was looking into casting materials and it made me go back and look at the TE cases. I now wonder how the light from the LED indicators gets through the black material used to cast their cases? Does anyone around here actually have a case, and if so, does the material on the front near the buttons allow the light to pass through? How? Translucence or how? Curious…

^ It is really misterious … this is the best picture I could find (it is from Cockoo’s photo stream):

It seems like the LED simply shines through a gap in the button rim.

@sjdude @punji This is exactly how I saw the LEDs ^ at NAMM as well. The case isn’t really translucent, but it is made from that silicone you would find on cheaper iPhone covers that stretch over fairly easily. So if it’s stretched enough or thinner in certain areas of the case - it may be translucent. I’m sure in darker conditions the light becomes more apparent.

Has nobody thought of using the packaging as a case ? Maybe glue it on some balsa wood and make the cut outs as necessary? I mean the packaging encases them right?

@calicaux i used the packaging as drill templatyes for the pot shafts to make my box housing the PO a little slimmer!

Dagnabbit! So close! While thinking of Po cases, I remembered an old broken iPod touch case from Vers. I think I’ll have at it with my Dremel and at least see if the potentiometer base thing will fit through. If so, I’ll buy another case.

Here’s some reference pics for those making your own:

@punji - Thanks for posting that picture. I have to say that, for me, the visbility of the LEDs is pretty poor. Probably better in the dark, but then the symbols on the keys wouldn’t be visible then. While these may fit perfectly, I’m glad I didn’t end up getting them for my POs.

edit:spelling

^ Yeah, the LED visibility seems to be restricted to a 90 degree angle.

Maybe it would be easier to design a case without a keypad, just to protect the display.
Maybe it would be easier to design a case without a keypad, just to protect the display.
I was thinking along those lines, but with some kind of maleable, translucent/clear membrane over the keypad.