POLL! Oplab owners - any interest in an add on board that gives clock outputs? For Volca PO12 etc?

I have prototyped a circuit that gives 5v clock pulses from Oplab, it works very well and I am thinking of turning it into a product for sale, it will plug on top of the Oplab and still allow access to all the other connectors, except for the 34way header, and the dinsync socket (although I might make a pass through for this if needed) there will be 4 outputs each with a LED so that you can see the pulse, the pulse duration is 5ms, and the output clock speeds are as yet undecided, but I’m thinking definitely 16 and 8 pulses per bar for 2 of them, the other 2 I’m open to suggestion at present.

If you use Volcas, Monotribe, new Electribe or modular stuff etc. then this will be a handy little add-on

In order for this to go into production I will need at least 20 people seriously interested, it will be on a proper black PCB with good quality parts used and the target price will be £49GBP plus shipping at cost, it will be a simple plug and play job, I estimate these to be ready to ship in 6 weeks assuming there is enough interest to start a run.

$75, and I don’t not need it. I’m in. I don’t need or use DIN Sync for anything anyway. This will also free up a USB Host port, as I can clock the MicroBrute from its Gate In :slight_smile:

I can see this having potential to marry mu OP-1 to the Electribe and Volcas

This is the kind of thing that Oplab is supposed to be doing!!!

I want it to have a solid clocking functionality between OP-1/MIDI/CV… of course it does not at this point.
But the thought of spending even MORE money on OpLab makes me cringe!

Would your add-on also allow to have the OP-1 be synced TO the incoming CV?
If so, I would be interested…

Supposed to be @piotr, but isn’t, so if @darenager wants to take the lead and do something about it, more power to him :slight_smile: I wouldn’t even know where to begin on something like this myself.

Totally agree @KrisM … just frustrated with TE regarding the shitty handling of Oplab.

yeah, definitely. If this happens we need to make sure TE definitely knows about it, too.

Well my first idea was to do a digital outs breakout expander, but at the current OS the digital outputs are a bit buggy, in that they often latch up (stay stuck on) I have notified TE but not heard back yet. But basically that idea was so that you can send triggers to Eurorack gear.

So after some probing and prototyping I decided upon using the sync24 output as this does seem to work pretty well, mode zero and it follows my OP1 perfectly, not tried the other modes yet though.

I’m going to be calling it “LabCoat1” as in arduino has shields, beaglebone has capes etc, so OpLab will have labcoats :slight_smile:

Assuming there is enough interest that is…

I reckon this will work great with the Pocket Operators too, so I will test it with mine when they arrrive, also bump to see if anyone else is interested?

I’m still holding out for an OPlab update that makes it work as promised. I really think now that they are done with their speaker and these new PO’s they will be focusing their efforts on finishing the next OP-1 OS update and working on the OPlab. That being said awesome project darenager, very tempting regardless!

I certainly hope you are right about this @Virtual_Flannel

OK, well given that I doubt 20 people will be interested, I just found a place that will do small runs, so I ordered 10 boards, they cost a little bit more than I had hoped but it won’t affect the selling price, and doing it this way I won’t be too much out of pocket if they are no good or if I don’t sell them all. Hopefully they should be ready in a few weeks :slight_smile:

You are a scholar and a gentleman, @darenager I don’t care what @docshermsticks says about you

OK, well given that I doubt 20 people will be interested, I just found a place that will do small runs, so I ordered 10 boards, they cost a little bit more than I had hoped but it won't affect the selling price, and doing it this way I won't be too much out of pocket if they are no good or if I don't sell them all. Hopefully they should be ready in a few weeks :)

Good on you homie! Hope to see some vids of them in action!

lol waat? @krism explain yourself!

@darenager There’s interest out there! Count me in! Wishing you the best of luck on this project! :slight_smile:

Question: how loud/hot of a signal can it put out? A problem I’m having is that I got the Mute Synth II and it can take an external clock signal into its patchboard, but the Monotribe is too weak to drive it. Might need something closer to 10v? I can sync it with through my wee little Eurorack but not through any gadgets (Monotribe, Midi Bastl).

I saw a video of someone syncing the Mute Synth to Logic’s click track but found they had to set a lot of gain in order to do so.

I’m still evaluating getting an Op-1 and/or an Oplab, so I can’t commit to buying one of these but I am interested. I’ve got a wide variety of gear (Monotribe, Mute Synth II, small Eurorack system, Bastl Trinity, MPC500, and soon an Op-1 (possibly)). And suddenly I’m interested in being able to use a lot of them in sync :).

Boards are in the house! Little bit of tweaking and they will be ready for sale, probably do 5 in the next few days then another 4 in a week or so, keeping 1 for myself. I’ll update with proper pic and more info later, but for now here is a pic of a part built one atop Oplab.

WOW! Those look awesome @darenager! Great job! Count me in :slight_smile:

I will buy it!
Sign me up.
God dammit I will make use of Oplab.