POLL! Oplab owners - any interest in an add on board that gives clock outputs? For Volca PO12 etc?

Damn, welllllllll I changed my mind. Seems like a must have for any OPlab owner, no question. I’d grab one if there were enough to go around for sure, although I wouldn’t be terribly sad if Im the odd man out! Im broke! Amazing work @darenager

Cheers guys, yes pretty happy with how they turned out, the black boards were worth paying the extra for, it is a shinier finish than the Oplab board but still looks better than standard green I think.

Still tweaking the final touches, but performance is very good, basically you have 4 outputs, 1ppqn (1/4 note), 2ppqn (8ths), 3ppqn (12ths) and 4ppqn (16ths) where ppqn = pulses per quarter note. Below is a pic showing simultaneous outputs, as you can see there is no smearing whenever all 4 outputs are required to trigger.

Yay! https://vine.co/v/OUPM6zjJul5

Really fantastic!
Can’t wait!
(Hopefully sooner than April :slight_smile:

I grabbed an OPLab last week so I’d be up for grabbing one of these little boards.
Well done man!!! stellar job!

o fuck. now i gotta buy a fucking oplab. shit.

https://vine.co/v/OUx6lpgYjQX

Quick update, been tweaking/testing all day and pretty near ready for release (see * below), so far everyone who has expressed interest will be given first refusal (quick headcount is 6 or 7 people so since there will be 9 available no worries!)

I have tested it triggering a number of devices and not had any problems, here is a list of what I tested:

Monotribe
All Volcas
Dark Energy gate input
Bugbrand Modular envelope and sequencer inputs
Korg SQ1
Korg MS20 mini ESP input

I will test it with some other gear as well, but so far it seems that most stuff is going to work, some Euro gear may need higher voltages (remember this is 5v and 5 milliseconds pulse duration) due to not all manufacturers adhering to the standard, but it should not be difficult to “boost” the pulse on the modular anyway. These are trigger outputs NOT gates, so they are ideal for clocking or triggering.

A few notes:
The LEDs are not stupidly bright, because A) I hate overly bright LEDs and B) I’d rather have a stronger trigger, but they are perfectly bright enough to indicate the pulses. I chose high efficiency Kingbright LEDs for reliability and performance, they are unglamourous red 3mm, but I kind of like their retro vibe :slight_smile:

I have tested it with a USB battery pack and it works very well, as expected there is a slight drop on the voltage to around 4.6v but it still worked with all the devices tested above, I would expect similar (to battery pack) performance from most computer USB ports as most computers put out a bit less than 5v in my experience, it is designed to work with the Oplab PSU for optimum performance, but the batterypack option is handy. FYI I used a 3000ma “PowerBank” branded battery which are capable of powering Oplab, SyncLab and charging the OP1, although a higher capacity one would last longer and probably give better performance.

*I am awaiting a parts order to start the first batch of 5, I was hoping it would arrive today but nada, so as soon as the parts are here I will get started. The connectors that join it to Oplab have not been decided upon yet, I ordered a few types and will select the best. Throughout I have used the highest quality parts where possible as I hate unreliable stuff, the 5 pin din connector was selected for its ease of insertion/removal from Oplab and is a nice metal bodied part.

I will offer them on a first come first served basis, no hard feelings if you changed your mind but let me know, I’m not really making much money on these at all so I doubt I will do another run, but I’d at least like to shift the 9 that I will have available.

Finally a disclaimer - this is obviously not an official TE product, nor is it endorsed by them, it is a diy solution and I cannot accept any responsibility for user error or damage that might occur to your Oplab or other gear connected, operating in the parameters as described above it works very well, but I can make no guarantees that it will work with your equipment. Due to the nature of Oplab many connections are vulnerable to being shorted out if they come into contact with metal objects such as stray jack leads or jewelry or robotic hands, so some degree of care and common sense is required when using the Oplab and SyncLab. If any of this is a problem for you then please do not buy one.

Price will be £49 GBP plus shipping at cost (estimated at £5 UK £9 rest of world) payment is by paypal only.

Thanks and I’ll update again when the first 5 are ready, but in the meantime if you have any questions let me know.

Nice! I’m interested. This is trigger outputs only, yes? So the Oplab or something coming to Oplab from Midi/USB would be master clock (or Oplab in master clock mode)? I’m just barely starting to get gear that I want to keep in sync after years in the wonderful deserts of harsh noise and trying to get a handle on it now that I’ve got a pile of different oddities.

Yes it is trigger outputs only, and yes it will work with Oplab as master or using mode zero and setting the OP1 or other midi device as master - all scenarios covered :wink:

Just wanted to make sure i am part of the first 5 :slight_smile:

Fantastic work @darenager! Please place me on the list!

I’m still in. You just tell me when and where to send monies.

what did i get in at 7?

Sofa jam all on batteries https://vine.co/v/OU2vnEQ1xrp this is really giving Oplab a new lease of life for me!

Yeah don’t worry I’ll get these done ASAP and all being well they should be in peoples hands in 1-2 weeks, I just want to make sure all the parts arrive before I start taking any money.

Another possibly dumb question: are the PQN differences for dealing with different types of gear that expect different pulses? Or is it more like a Clock Divider? Or both?

Yo TE, I’m really happy for your PO blowout and I’ma let you finish but @darenager pwnt you in the god-damned face.

Another possibly dumb question: are the PQN differences for dealing with different types of gear that expect different pulses? Or is it more like a Clock Divider? Or both?

Basically both, Volca’s, Monotribe, PO12/14/16, new electribes, SQ1 all want 2 pulses per quarter note (8 per bar) so I included that, then other sequencers like SH-101, CSQ100/600, and a lot of modular sequencers want 4 pulses per quarter note (16 per bar) so I included that, then a 1 pulse per quarter note output is handy for doing a simple kick pattern (4 to the floor!) or using in a modular for syncing LFO’s to the beat, or what have you, then I thought that 3 PPQN would be handy for when you want 12/16 or triplet type feel, so for example on a Volca or Monotribe you could set the sequence length to 6 or 12 steps and have it running in time with say your OP1 with a 4/4 16th note pattern. Of course you can then do things like have the OP1 as sync master and slow the tape down by half so that the tempo halves, then for example you could record 12 minutes of Volca onto the tape or whatever by using the 4 PPQN output so that the Volca would run at normal speed, if that makes sense.

The outputs all trig on the 1st beat, then follow their own pattern and continue until stop is pressed, then when stop is pressed the outputs all reset, ready to start again when you next press start.

lol @KrisM - yeah I was hoping my PO’s would be here before these PCB’s so that I could test it with them, bah, but since the PO’s sync with Volcas then I’m confident that they will sync with this.

Ok everyone who wants one PM me with your email address, price is £49 GBP plus shipping - £5.50 UK or £9.75 rest of world, payment is by paypal in GBP £ Sterling I want to get these out as quickly as possible so don’t PM me about buying one if you do not have the money yet, the second batch will follow in a week or so, hopefully no one who wanted one will miss out. Shipping is tracked and instructions and tracking number will be sent by email, I always aim to post within 24 hours of payment (excluding weekends)

Couple of pictures