Portable STEM Player designed with TE + Kanye West?

Listening to the Kanye interview with Zane Lowe on Beats 1 and I just heard this: https://youtu.be/QuOCvKvrwI8?t=3981 Portable STEM Player from WHAT? What??
teenage-stem

What could this be?

1 Like

It’s the OP-Z. Everytime he opens his mouth one of his handlers reaches in his pocket, grabs the OP-Z and hits him in the back of his brain stem before he gets himself in more trouble.

5 Likes

:joy:

A PO-35 special orange edition featuring Donald Trump samples, and including a red MAGA baseball cap.

5 Likes

“I have very good samples…probably the best samples of anyone that’s ever lived ever, everyone says.”

6 Likes

So you all think it’s just another Pocket Operator? He kept mentioning his daughter turning up and down the vocal track on the device. I haven’t used one so I’m not sure how easy it is to adjust volume on a per stem basis on Pocket Operators.

New module for the OP-Z?

its new hardware. i’m guessing virgil hooked ye up since virgil and te have done a collab on custom hardware before… ?

Who’s Virgil?..

Sounds dope

Take my money

1 Like

You know, it could just be the op-1

2 Likes

If it really was a limited YEEZY OP-1…
the price would be ridiculously astronomical

1 Like

I didnt think the PO’s were stem players? They dont load, export or play stem files. Not sure why people here keep calling them stem players.

am i missing something?

I think most people don’t know what a STEM file is (I didn’t until I google it after reading this thread).

1 Like

A Stem file is an audio file that contains a track split into four musical elements: A drums stem , a bassline stem , a harmony stem , and a lead stem for example. The Stem file also includes the original stereo master of the track for standard playback.

1 Like

Hopefully TE and Kanye will rest and release whatever it is before Christmas :slight_smile:

JohnnyEgo
A Stem file is an audio file that contains a track split into four musical elements: A drums stem , a bassline stem , a harmony stem , and a lead stem for example. The Stem file also includes the original stereo master of the track for standard playback.

Right! The Pocket Operators Definitely don’t do that! Unless i’m missing out on some seriously cool feature
I didn’t think any of TE’s products could export stems… Pretty sure the opz can’t, (if it can please tell me how :upside_down_face:)

1 Like

a snapshot on the OP-Z is a 10second Stem of whatever you laid down on the sequencer tracks.

I wouldn’t call that a stem tho right? Isn’t that a stereo buss recording?

Op1 is closer to a stem player. 4 independent audio tracks.

Virgil Abloh is the current artistic director for Louis Vuitton and started the fashion brand off white. He did an internship at Fendi with Kanye West. I remember seeing TE post a video around the op-z launch of him playing with an OP-z in their office. He played a DJ set at Coachella and used a set of custom “off-white” transparent pioneer CDJ’s (I love transparent electronics) and some custom made thing by TE that looks like it could fit this description. I kinda doubt it will be a product for the public because it has pioneer CDJ screens built in, a dj mixer, and a po-400. I think they gutted a couple CDJ’s to make a custom piece with some special people in the fashon pop music world.
Remember TE’s origins were engineering and design services out of a garage. They made stuff like a bike, the robot choir, desk lamp/op-1 arm and some crazy machine with custom machine, 5 screens, surround sound led screens, over sized jog wheel and thermal printer for a “secret client”. You can find all this stuff on their old blog now.teenageengineering.com

You can see some video of the custom CDJ’s and custom TE device that I will now start calling the TE stem player and a good break down of what is here:

3 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for finding this. I remember seeing it a while ago…it’s probably what Kanye was alluding to then. Thanks for the great sleuthing!

1 Like