::Post your studio pics:: (mobile, bedroom, pro, kitchen)

awesome, I see Reels!

…and a lot more to discover! :wink:

2014-08-06 at 22-30-29

2014-08-06 at 22-30-29

That looks like a setup I’d like to listen to. I’ve always been tempted to buy a pair of Aiaiai cans because of their seductive looks, but I’ve read good and bad reviews about the sound. What’s your take, and which ones do you own?

TMA-1 DJ, got them discounted from a former job.Not bad I think, good for percussive sounds, bass not so much.

Maybe I’ll post an audio snippet of the patch in the photo later.

My studio studio (I live in a studio ap) :slight_smile:
There is a Volca Beats missing in the setup. on the left there is a piano. I just cant seem to remedy the cable spagetti.

@Kites is possible to hook up a USB hub on the iTrack Dock?

@erchenius, I just got the beatstep too, what apps do like using it with? There isn’t an intuitive beat making app that I’ve found yet,

Your question about the itrack dock was on my mind and others for months too. Unfortunately you can’t use a usb hub :frowning: major bummer I know! But i haven’t tried a powered hub just yet, or an interface for that matter. I asked a Focusrite rep that will ask the developers to test the og iconnectmidi and icm2+. Currently my usb to midi converter cable works, but I’m hoping to get multiple midi controllers/hardware on board.

@kites

a girlfriend of mine has a beatstep too…so i was playing around and discovered the drum kit designer in logic X. :slight_smile:

great sounds…but i’ve been looking for some standalone synthesizer for it, because Girls don#t want to make beatzbeatzbeatz. :wink:

@kites

a girlfriend of mine has a beatstep too…so i was playing around and discovered the drum kit designer in logic X. :slight_smile:

great sounds…but i’ve been looking for some standalone synthesizer for it, because Girls don#t want to make beatzbeatzbeatz. :wink:

Cool, I’ll have to check that out thanks.

Tangential Question:
Do folks generally leave all their gear plugged in and “on”? I’m wondering if its good or bad to be leaving my Beatstep / Keystation / […etc. -other USB gear with led lights].

I know that if my gear is on and ready to go I am more likely to actually use it …and not spending time hooking things up and connecting cables…

@Kites Aww bummer, it would have been epic to have an audio interface that charges AND capable to connect your gear.

About the Beatstep: I am still trying to find its place, it is a very malleable interface though, it can fit anywhere. It luckily has a single note transpose. So what you can do is layer up beats by using the Drum and Tape on the OP-1. It is much faster, more intuitive and playful than the step sequencer in the OP-1. They work pretty well together. You can fool around by sequencing synths, assign midi cc to synth or filter, giving you effectively 8 knobs to screw around with without the need of button mashing. The Beatstep sequencer (out of the box) sustains the notes until the next step (I think you can change that), so what you can do is use it to sequence Endless. Put for example bunch of Endless steps and set it to 1/16 and sync the Beatstep but set it to 1/4. This way Endless works kinda like an arp.
You can — if you are really gangsta — mismatch tempo on the Beatstep. I think it can go as low as 30 BPS on the Beatstep. So for example OP-1 @ 120 bps, Endless @ 1/4, Beatstep @ 30 bps and sequencer @ 1/4. Now you have a quasi 4 bar sequencer that actually can do chords. You can do this by ear or just by setting it up in the software. You can do this with finger too.
When I do this kind of stuff it really REALLY pains me that the OP-1 doesn’t have host capability. It would have been a match made in heaven.
I haven’t delved into the Beatstep deeply yet so maybe I’ll make a thread with some tips n tricks using the Beatstep and OP-1 if there is more awesomeness (think stuff like note velocity to cc conversion would result in some outlandish shit…if possible).

On the iPad I have a similar problem as you. I have no app that fits the Beatstep perfectly. I use it for some general pad bashing, iMPC pro and sequencing a synth once in a while.
Sometimes when I am not “feeling the soft synth” I’ll assign some pots to OSCs or effects and whatnot, makes it all a bit more expressive.

At first I was REALLY disappointed by The Beatstep and was going to return it. But the OP-1 playfulness kind of bleeds through to other gear that you connect to it, obviously I am keeping it now. But I have 2 gripes about the Beatstep,
First of all the lack of a display with BPM, this can be remedied by sending sync for example from littlemidi to the beatstep (haven’t tested yet but should be no problem).
Second, the lack of multipart sequencing, but that would infringe on their SparkLE and would make it a lot more expensive.
I hope I have told you some stuff you were unaware of.

@Erhenius! You’ve given me a lot of food for thought and I’m excited to tinker around with the beatstep more! Thank you, I totally appreciate that. You should make a video to demo all of the above (visual learner), and I think making a thread would definitely be useful. On a sadder note, my OP-1 is waiting for a new connector board and is out of commission for the time being, but once it’s back from Limbo, I’ll setup a hot a date for the two of them. Btw, are you using the og iConnectmidi to marry the two? I’ve yet to find one for a deal. :frowning:

Also, is there a way to configure the beatstep to sequence two apps (synth and beats), but with two different sequences? Haha, I’m probably dreaming…

My stuff is never really connected, everything is kind of standalone, and it’s turned off when not in use, but youre right if sth red blinking I get interested in the instrument/ device more than if it would be off @mrclean

So I’ve moved into my room at college. Had to leave a bunch of stuff behind.

But I made a cool stand last night out of material from the rollercoaster we just dismantled.

i think you’re going to be okay @beefinator :wink:

This will be my setup for the foreseeable future. Pretty minimal but i’m more creative now than i was with tons of gear.

calling two OP-1s and an Octatrack ‘minimal’ is like calling Batman a detective :wink:

but +1 on small setups.

^spot on Krism!