POTT - Pocket Operators Trick Tips

New trick : I found that effects set on one pattern may affect next chained pattern !

In the track bellow, I almost always play a pattern twice, without tweaking anything, then I chain another one.
(There must be 2 exceptions if I recall correctly).
Yet you can hear that the second time a pattern is played, you may not have exactly the same not played.
I even noticed that sometimes, the note that is affected by this “sliding effect” can be on the 5th step of the 16-step pattern !
I found the consequence of this weird side effect quite musical, but this is my opinion :slight_smile:

Factory Works by Lying Dalai | Free Listening on SoundCloud

With the sequencer stopped and out of rec mode you can also adjust the sound knobs while pressing the notes. It helps to preview sounds too, though knob settings will not be saved in the sequencer.

Also, the little speaker is surprisingly accurate, if you want to write some patterns while in bed or wherever.

Great Tip!

When punching for two styles at the same time, the lowest number gets the priority.
So if you need to quickly go back and forth from a style to another, you let the highh number pressed while punching the first in and out.
If what I said makes sense.

In Write mode, for Sub& Factory only, you may turn the knbs while continuously punching a key.
This way you can select the note you need for this step. Even for editing the minidrum, this is very usefull.

Unfortunately, this mecanism hasn’t been implemented in Rythm, for velocity, retrig… Or swing !
And the pitch for the mini bass notes can only be set throughg the knob, on the fly.
BTW, swing is a general parameter (meaning shared by all patterns), and cannot be automated. Such a shame !

@lyingdalai have you played much with them all together synced up? Can you tell us about pros and cons if so?? I'm wondering about their relative volumes and if you can clearly hear all 3 when you're playing one through the next.

OK I went further on this one, @Sammyjams : when I use headphones, I set the volume to 3. When playing with the speaker, I set it between 8 and 11.
Now if I plug 2 POs together, I have to set the volume of the master to the speaker level to hear it clearly. The slave has the same settings as above, and its volume control also the volume from the master PO coming through the sync cable.
The sound of the master through the slave is rather OK, but I noticed some fluctuations in the volume of the master, it’s a bit weird : the same pattern is played sometimes lower than previously, not at a level that is annoying, but it’s erratic.
I try the 3 altogether tonight.

I think the volume fluctuations are because of the internal limiter/compressor. Also, once it triggers and lowers the volume of the incoming signal it may take some time to go up again, sometimes it seems to never go up until you press stop and play again.

Try making a synth pattern in the master and add drums using the mini drum machine and run it into the slave. If you start messing around in the master with the knobs or maybe the lp filter you’ll probably trigger the limiter/compressor in the slave and you’ll clearly hear the volume go down. Now, even if you set the knobs to the original position there’s a chance it will stay low until to stop/start again.
@lyingdalai have you played much with them all together synced up? Can you tell us about pros and cons if so?? I'm wondering about their relative volumes and if you can clearly hear all 3 when you're playing one through the next.

OK I went further on this one, @Sammyjams : when I use headphones, I set the volume to 3. When playing with the speaker, I set it between 8 and 11.
Now if I plug 2 POs together, I have to set the volume of the master to the speaker level to hear it clearly. The slave has the same settings as above, and its volume control also the volume from the master PO coming through the sync cable.
The sound of the master through the slave is rather OK, but I noticed some fluctuations in the volume of the master, it’s a bit weird : the same pattern is played sometimes lower than previously, not at a level that is annoying, but it’s erratic.
I try the 3 altogether tonight.

@lyingdalai thanks for reporting back!

My pleasure, @sammyjams.

@knobhead I didn’t mention that I let the master absolutely unchanged, no tweaks or any change in sound : that’s why I call the volume drop erratic.
For me, same in => same out, but it seems those tiny operators have a life by themselves :wink:

Help! My PO sub came in, but the output doesn’t work, just white noise! So SADD!

NM, I took the AAA batteries out and popped it back in - now all is right and I tooted in joy!

Here is another little trick to quickly build melodies and basslines on the Factory and Sub:

1) Start with an empty pattern

2) In write-mode just put one note at the first step and stretch its length across the whole pattern
( hold first step and turn encoder B clockwise untill all steps are red )

3) Go wild with in the key-styles by pressing KEY + 1-16 to change the notes modulation. Especially on the Factory I get very useful melodies and chords with this method.

You get a lot of complex structures out of just one looooong note.

Just to be clear, the PO-12 only has 16 individual drum sounds right? Not 16 different drum kits? When I hold down sound and any key 1-16, I get the same drum kit for all 16 - am I missing something?

@Kites No you are correct. Only one drum kit.

Unless people missed it:

http://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/850/pocket-operator-books-online-ibooks-and-google-play#latest

@MadeUpMonster ah, so what does holding down Sound + 1-16 key do then? In the PO-12 manual under “3. making a beat” it says “select sound- hold sound and press any key from 1-16 to select sound.” Sorry, it’s not that intuitive as the Sub to me at the moment :slight_smile:

please and thank you

^ You choose which sound to punch in on the pattern. This means that you can puch in 16 simultaneous sound at one instance

@Kites as @Defectus already said it lets you select the specific drum to place in the sequencer.

The PO-12 allows you to place several drums on the same step of the sequence(unlike the Mini drum machine on the PO-14/16) and it also lets you parameter lock each drum sound.

So by selecting key “1”(kick drum) you can place it in the sequencer and then parameter lock the kick on it’s own. And then select key “3”(hi hat) and you can place the hi hat in the sequence and parameter lock the hi hat as you want it. Then you can also step multiply each sound.

I explain it all in my book. *ruthless self-promotion :wink: *

@MadeUpMonster thanks fellas! Didn’t realize the PO-12 had this much depth, this will be fun. Will definitely download your book, thanks.

@Kites No problem! Cheers, hope you’ll like the book :slight_smile:

@MadeUpMonster @Kites It is a shame that you don’t have the 16 channels available on the Sub and Factory but only one sound + the microdrum. I wonder what was the reason for the limitation on those machines. Might be just for the simple fact that you have to buy two machines to get a bassline and melody going :))