POTT - Pocket Operators Trick Tips

@Felip It is more than likely simply down to lack of available memory I think.

^ One possible explanation is that the “Styles” feature requires extra processing. Another possibility is that the PO-14/PO-16 engines are more complex.

Actually, I find it amazing that the PO-12 is capable of playing 16 sounds at the same time, given the HW limitations!

what is!

have spent a few hours with the POs so far and would like to share something that I’ve really taken to about these units.

Being able to write the FX layer to only a certain phrase or part of your pattern is a great way to introduce changes even without changing a step in your pattern. I would spend some time learning to really focus on being able to punch in at any 16th note for any duration. This goes both ways, inserting an FX and also removing parts of the FX layer back to your orig pattern.

for example - let’s say I want to bit crush only the fourth 16th of the 2nd beat and have the effect last for exactly 3 16th notes. so I ‘punch in’ the FX layer a split second before the 4th step of beat 2 and ‘punch out’ (let go) of the write fx key combo precisely between the second & third 16th of beat 3. The timing on your punching in/out needs to be right on time.

I’m a drummer so this has come easy for me, but would def be worth your time to practice on these units to really be able to control the FX layer at an individual step level. Can achieve some really vibey shit with this method.

Also when jamming on FX layer, you can have a clean bar change as long as you start clearing or changing the FX layer on the down beat of the next measure. great for when you want to lay in a beat repeat stutter for example for the last two beats, but dont want to hear it next time around.

hope this helps some of you, as I said in the shipping confirmation thread, these little boxes are for sure worth the wait!!!

peace!

Big Biscuits

@bigbiscuits welcome to the wonderful world of parameter locking. As mentioned before: For me this punch-in method really shines with the ‘Key Styles’. You are able to turn a simple pattern into something crazy - and then go back again by erasing the stlyes. It is a great jamming feature and quite unique.

You’re right @Felipe, Key styles are really great.

I just discovered how the “repeat note” works on Rythm.
In fact you select the sound you want to have stutter, then you press the step where you want stutter.
While pressing the step, you press “bpm” so that you set the repetition within the step to 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8.
You can set such param for each step of each sound (on each pattern of course)

This is in fact really great, I thought first that the repetition was set for the whole sound pattern, so I haven,t used it much so far.

Beware, bpm + step = volume up, while step + bpm is repetition.

Last thing : I haven’t found a way to set independently the volume for each sound on Rythm.
For some, the right knob seems to do the trick but not for charley for instance…
Did you guys figured out something I didn’t on this precise matter ?

MwahAhahaha now 60 bpm is too fast :smiley:
Plus repetition is affected by the swing !
Niiiiice !
And you can set repeats also on the minibass track : shugoi !

https://soundcloud.com/sam-holzberg/side-a

Cool test!

PS is that an image of Leto II commanding Shai-Hulud? And if so, where did it come from?

[EDIT]

Who wants to TRANSPOSE melodies KEY-OO effects? This also works on the POs !
( tested on Sub and Factory )

1) Start with an empty pattern ( NO NOTES )
2) Record a KEY-OO effect into it by presseing KEY-OO and a number 1 - 16. Make sure no steps are lit up.
3) While playing the pattern hold down WRITE and keep it pressed - make sure the round [o] symbol is not showing on the display (!)
4) Now press and hold any step 1 - 16 to transpose the notes the KEY-OO effects.

It only works if a KEY-OO effect has been applied before though.
POs are awe-some!!!! Still new little surprises every day..

@HelloOperator im apart of several forums for random art and this might ahve come from that. it might have also just come from the itnernet. I dont really remember. but yes it def reminded me of DUNE and is why i posted it,. I love dune! also google reverse image search if you really want to get to the bottom of it!

@Felipe that transpose is awesome. new features outta nowuhr!!!

Is there any ‘factory reset’ for the PO’s?

Maybe we should have a PO bugs thread, since this is not really a useful trick per se:

On the PO-14/16, when changing the sound character by turning the pots and then toggling existing notes in an attempt to update their sound, the change will have no effect unless a new note is added before that step, or something like that (it feels a bit umpredictable).

A little correction on the TRANSPOSE trick ( see above ). It only works on recorded KEY-OO effects on empty patterns. That means the automation will be transposed but NOT any pre-recorded written steps or melodies, if that makes sense. Just try it out for yourself.

I think it’s cool to start a pattern with KEY-OO automation first and then punch in the melody afterwards. Sort of reverse-engineering :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe we should have a PO bugs thread, since this is not really a useful trick per se:

On the PO-14/16, when changing the sound character by turning the pots and then toggling existing notes in an attempt to update their sound, the change will have no effect unless a new note is added before that step, or something like that (it feels a bit umpredictable).

It’s normal behaviour. The pot changes are recorded as automations along the pattern. You don’t change the sound, you change the position of the pot at that moment. If you want the sound to be the same for the whole pattern just move the pot to the desired point and let the pattern do a complete run with the write button pressed, so you write that pot position for the whole pattern.

@knobhead Yeah, it seems related to automation and I see what you mean about using the length to affect the whole pattern, but if the pot behavior is like you described, why removing and adding again an existing note doesn’t affect itself?

I’ll have to check what you say. Note data and pot position are independent sequencer lines, so you need to adjust them independently, and pot data while the sequencer is playing, to get the desired result.

A little correction on the TRANSPOSE trick ( see above ). It only works on recorded KEY-OO effects on empty patterns. That means the automation will be transposed but NOT any pre-recorded written steps or melodies, if that makes sense. Just try it out for yourself.
@Felipe that's not what I noticed : for me your transposing trick works any time, with effects or anything.
It's quite handy and I use it a lot now !
The thing I can see is that when you keep a note pressed, you erase all the notes (even the one you pressed if you wait 17 steps)
Or maybe I don't understand well your trick.

But my observations are that the KEY O-O style always follow the note that is pressed (e.g. the arps depend on the last note played)

@LyingDalai for some reason I thought that I discovered a way to actually shift ( transpose ) pre - written melody steps which is not the case and also wouldn’t make sense with the live recording mode of steps. But like you said: It works fine with all other automation and parameter locks.

Ahaha OK I had not understood at all.

But you made me find a way to write melodic lines without having to turn the knobs, which is a inspiration/love killer imo.
So that’s great : thank you @Felipe !!

^^

Ok, I simply can not make the step multiplier to work… anybody else is having hard time to make this happen on PO-12?
EDIT: A little tricky that one. But I figured it out wventually. :slight_smile:

I just discovered how the "repeat note" works on Rythm. In fact you select the sound you want to have stutter, then you press the step where you want stutter. While pressing the step, you press "bpm" so that you set the repetition within the step to 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8. You can set such param for each step of each sound (on each pattern of course)

This is in fact really great, I thought first that the repetition was set for the whole sound pattern, so I haven,t used it much so far.

Beware, bpm + step = volume up, while step + bpm is repetition. MwahAhahaha now 60 bpm is too fast :smiley:
Plus repetition is affected by the swing !
Niiiiice !
And you can set repeats also on the minibass track : shugoi !

I think that’s what I was talking about @piotr.
Couldn’t find the real name ^^
The thing is that you first have to enter a “note” = a simple push+release on the step
Now that you have a step active, you can enter the step multiplier by pushing this key again, and maintain the pressure while pushing the bpm button.
Then it becomes very natural, I feel.
:slight_smile:

Like I said, beware cause pushing bpm THEN step 16 is a danger for your ears !

Right: the sequence of steps one needs to take to make the repeats happen was not clear to me from the manual. After carefully watching Gaz’s walkthrough video, I realized what needed to happen first.