RIP OP-Z Hype: Long Live OP-Z!

@ludicrouSpeed said:
Hahahaha, well not for nothing, but USB midi HAS been confirmed.

a lot of the stuff u and others have said has been confirmed lol…there are some vague things still i get it…but so

the chatter pushes me away
but the banter pulls me right back

@docshermsticks said:
the chatter pushes me away
but the banter pulls me right back

lol…hopefully since they are supposed to be releasing the end of july there will be some solid info and videos for u lol…i hope so too…more definitive specs

tbh i’m at the point where i’m not believing nothing until i see that shit for real.

@docshermsticks said:
tbh i’m at the point where i’m not believing nothing until i see that shit for real.

lol…i hear u

I said it was an over hyped peice of shit a few weeks ago, and got lambasted for it ?

In all seriousness it’s an ambitious project which could go one of two ways…personally I’m going to stick with my old faithful Octatrack for sequencing. It’s not as portable…but I don’t buy gear on the basis of whether I can use it on an aeroplane! Plus I’m at work 8 hours a day, if i carried a synth in my pocket all day I’d get sacked and/or sectioned.

And I agree, from what we’ve heard the synth engine sounds like crap. Like a broken Sega Megadrive, or that Playstation Music game. That might give Cuckoo an erection but it doesnt get my juices flowing. But again, I said that before and was told to shut up as ALL (?) the demos were just the bad camera microphones. Talk about fan boys and thier tunnel vision, may as well just send your wages straight to TE.

Love my OP1. Would never sell it. Totally get the concept. OPZ feels like a company that’s got caught up in its own success post OP1. Hence the delayed release date…much like Elektron and Overbridge, bitten off too much to digest.

I like the criticism and the hype… But mostly I’m looking forward to seeing the reality of the thing… It might be pretty suck, or might be super awesome… For me the most frustrating thing is that demos so far leave so many questions… I understand why, but yeah, just looking forward to knowing what it can and can not do.

@masterofstuff124 said:
youtube please stop bombarding me with something I unsubbed from.

Have you considered taking the time to clean your YT history from any Huang appearance ? Could work well.

What prevails in Teenage Engineering’s toys is the design, especially UX design. OP-Z has been conceived with OP-1 and POs experience. I have faith they will nail it, whatever it does.

@LyingDalai said:

@masterofstuff124 said:

Have you considered taking the time to clean your YT history from any Huang appearance ? Could work well.

What prevails in Teenage Engineering’s toys is the design, especially UX design. OP-Z has been conceived with OP-1 and POs experience. I have faith they will nail it, whatever it does.

Me too. I’m pretty new to synths and I’ve gotten to play with my friends op-1 and pocket operators and they’re fucking great for beginners and pros alike. I can only assume the Op-z will be just as good, especially since I personally like sequencing base stuff a little more. for everything we’ve seen included in the Op-z it’s a powerful machine no doubt about it. But TE is really good at making products that seem to be a lot more functional than they initially let on. The op-1 kinda looks like a kids toy and the PO series look like calculators lol.

@Mantastic0 said:

@LyingDalai said:

@masterofstuff124 said:

Me too. I’m pretty new to synths and I’ve gotten to play with my friends op-1 and pocket operators and they’re fucking great for beginners and pros alike. I can only assume the Op-z will be just as good, especially since I personally like sequencing base stuff a little more. for everything we’ve seen included in the Op-z it’s a powerful machine no doubt about it. But TE is really good at making products that seem to be a lot more functional than they initially let on. The op-1 kinda looks like a kids toy and the PO series look like calculators lol.

Truth

@Mantastic0 said:
I’m almost positive there will be USB midi out of the box so you can plug it into a computer/midi hub and control/sync with other devices. I’d assume getting it to work with nanoloop would be pretty easy considering that also uses midi

Yes, I’m certain this will be the case as well… but it still needs something in between the OP-Z and the other device in order to sync (e.g. a computer or a MIDI host box). I don’t imagine it’d be a USB host device out of the box, but I may be wrong. It’d still be more ideal if it just had sync pulse inputs/outputs.

@pselodux said:

@Mantastic0 said:
I’m almost positive there will be USB midi out of the box so you can plug it into a computer/midi hub and control/sync with other devices. I’d assume getting it to work with nanoloop would be pretty easy considering that also uses midi

Yes, I’m certain this will be the case as well… but it still needs something in between the OP-Z and the other device in order to sync (e.g. a computer or a MIDI host box). I don’t imagine it’d be a USB host device out of the box, but I may be wrong. It’d still be more ideal if it just had sync pulse inputs/outputs.

I thought of this too. My plan is to set up a raspberry pi as a portable midi hub. I was planning on using that setup to also sync it to nanoloop

@Mantastic0 said:
I thought of this too. My plan is to set up a raspberry pi as a portable midi hub. I was planning on using that setup to also sync it to nanoloop

Yeah, I looked into this, but something about configuring/optimising a Linux setup for such operation bores/frustrates me to tears… despite many people saying things like “Just use a raspberry pi! It’s easy to set up!”

it was mentioned that op-z could not power some usb midi controllers so they currently have to use a PC/laptop in conjunction with OP-Z. Hopefully that will be resolved on launch so no extra machines are required for use of a USB midi controller.

I was very excited to get the OP-Z from the last year. But there have been a few delays that really have depressed me a little bit. I was ready to pay for it 600-700€,… whatever…But I have changed my mind when I read a little bit more about the Synthstrom Deluge, and specially their inminet 2.0 firmware update.
I have finally bought the Deluge (2 days ago I received it) and it really is a wonderful machine. It’s really a good alternative to the OP-Z:
-It’s really small. Of course it’s not at small as the OP-Z, but it is very portable. It works with batteries and it also have a built-in mic and a speaker.
-The sequencer is very capable, with independent track lenghts, conditional trigs, parameter locks,…and even a new arranger (ala Ableton Live) that is coming in the new 2.0 firmware this month.
-Various synthesis methods: substractive synth, FM synth, sampler,…
-Infinite everything: songs, tracks, tracks lenght, presets, samples…
-It can sequence MIDI and CV without any expansions…
-What I miss is the video options the OP-Z have.

The more I know about the Deluge, more happy I am. It is really a very capable, portable little machine

1 Like

Deluge is awesome!!!

@manny said:
Deluge is awesome!!!

Yeah I can’t say enough good things about it. It’s amazing.

(Is that the new OP-Z hype thread?)

if it needs a second screen to run it you might as well buy a laptop

@pselodux said:

@Mantastic0 said:

Yeah, I looked into this, but something about configuring/optimising a Linux setup for such operation bores/frustrates me to tears… despite many people saying things like “Just use a raspberry pi! It’s easy to set up!”

Lol Linux can be daunting. Really all you have to do is install a set of drivers and set a small script to run at startup. It is a little work but with a good guide you could knock it out in no time. If I ever end up using this setup I’ll try and track you down lol

@mcpepe said:
I was very excited to get the OP-Z from the last year. But there have been a few delays that really have depressed me a little bit. I was ready to pay for it 600-700€,… whatever…But I have changed my mind when I read a little bit more about the Synthstrom Deluge, and specially their inminet 2.0 firmware update.
I have finally bought the Deluge (2 days ago I received it) and it really is a wonderful machine. It’s really a good alternative to the OP-Z:
-It’s really small. Of course it’s not at small as the OP-Z, but it is very portable. It works with batteries and it also have a built-in mic and a speaker.
-The sequencer is very capable, with independent track lenghts, conditional trigs, parameter locks,…and even a new arranger (ala Ableton Live) that is coming in the new 2.0 firmware this month.
-Various synthesis methods: substractive synth, FM synth, sampler,…
-Infinite everything: songs, tracks, tracks lenght, presets, samples…
-It can sequence MIDI and CV without any expansions…
-What I miss is the video options the OP-Z have.

The more I know about the Deluge, more happy I am. It is really a very capable, portable little machine

When you say video options do you mean unity integration?