Roland J-6 &

Possible to USB midi to play j6 chords through op-1? Or op-z sequencing the j6? Anyone using them together? Happy family?

maybe u already peeped but
this thread might be helpful

1 Like

Xo cheers.

Youre gonna need a usb midi converter since the op1/opz does not have midi out the regular way. I got a kenton usb midi for this exact goal.

1 Like

Had a faff trying to get the og oplab working between them. No luck so far.

vaguely remember ppl saying that the usb audio feature
mucked up something w/ the usb midi w/ certain devices like oplab and kenton?

I have the E-4 and midi/audio works through usb C on the op-1 field. You can bluetooth midi your op-z and have them all synced without any accessories. I’ve even Bluetooth midi two opz and usb-c midi the E-4 without any problems. The op-1 field is :star_struck:!!! Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Sorry to revive the thread.
I’m on the verge of buying the J6. Main goal here would be to create sequences on the J6, and record them in-sync on the op1 field tape.
I’m guessing, if I read that right, that a single USB-C cable and some menu dive should do the trick. But I thought I’d ask before purchasing.
Cheers!

I have a J6 connected to my OP1 but it acts in strange ways. I am a beginner in MIDI stuff so I might be missing some config on both devices. For example if you press play on the OP1 the J6 does not starts playing. Also keep in mind that using the USB to connect both devices will drain the battery of the OP1.

Hopefully someone might help with some exact explanation on how to hook these the J6 to the OP1 to play some Wonderfull chords on top.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out the battery behavior. It’s an important thing I didn’t even considered given the fact that the J6 has its own battery - if I’m not mistaken.
I’ve read, somewhere here, that the op1 Field has its drawbacks when it comes to manage battery charge with external charge-capable audio gear.

The weirdest thing is that I just can’t exactly figure out if these two play well together or not. YouTube content, forums, etc. Half of the ressources says go-for-it, the other half is not so adamant.

Thanks for anyone who can help us figure that one out!

2 Likes

So I set de J6 “sync” setting to AUTO and the OP1 MIDI settings as you can see in the snapshot. It works with certain limitations: you can drive the synths in OP1, you can record to tape, even if the J06 is driving the OP1 in terms of BPM both machines show a different value (125 on the J06 and 95 on the OP1). And again the battery drain is quite severe from the J06.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch!

Ordered one - should be there next week.

I’ll update the thread, should I find anything worth sharing.

I guess the battery drain is probably the most concerning aspect of this set-up.
I’m thinking about getting a powerbank to get the load off the op1f.

I’ve already seen weird things with that USB-C port. Connecting an iPad to the op1f just drains the iPad out of its charge.

Anyhoo.
Thanks again.
Means a lot you took some time out to document this!

Yeah! I will try to sync both with a TRS cable instead of the USB cable.

1 Like

I want to see what chord is being played on the LED but still this is beyond the Roland boffins.

2 Likes

Gotta say that kind of omission baffles me too

1 Like

I’ve not seen any other folk wanting this (obvious) feature which baffles me. The other is to be able to cycle through all the chords, instead of having to tediously pick from the batches/groups. It’s a brilliant little device that I’d use far more if it wasn’t for those daft omissions.

1 Like

Agreed and agreed.

Two simple features that would just make major sense.
Can’t even think of a reason why this wasn’t implemented right away.
I hope they eventually add these to a future firmware update soon.

1 Like

Have you tried turning off OP-1 USB charging? That may resolve the problem where iPad battery is drained.

2 Likes

Will try it next time.
When I’m in the creative zone, I just can’t seem to think about these some things. And when I’m reading up hours later about these things, I’m too far away from the machines.
But thanks for the friendly reminder. Appreciate it! :pray: