Sofa-ready, Self-contained Instruments: A Community List

Please don't tease with pictures and no link :p http://www.tangibleinstruments.com

It’s at the top of my post, but I just noticed now it’s oddly easy to overlook.

I find after OP-1 + iPad, a lot of it becomes redundant. You could keep an eye out for the vaporware KDJ-One.

Ah sorry. Totally missed it :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah sorry. Totally missed it :p

Nothing to apologize for :slight_smile: The forum’s formatting kinda conceals it.

The New Nintendo 3DS XL or NN3DSXL also the homebrew potential for the system thanks to TubeHax. I got it for the Korg software because I don’t have an iPad. Fun stuff.

Yamaha DJX2 maybe? Not sure it fits the “small” requirement with its 61 keys, but it does have a speaker (two, actually!) and it’s battery powered.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/djx-ii/

Yamaha DJX2 maybe? Not sure it fits the "small" requirement with its 61 keys...

As long as your sofa is not a loveseat!

Crudman

"It is a monophonic, vaguely Mellotron-like instrument designed around a single cassette Walkman. No it is not designed to replace a Mellotron and it does not sound like a Mellotron. It's its own thing which has its own unique sound and features. It is a new instrument and a tool to find new and interesting musical and atonal sounds.

The Crudman is based around a Walkman which has been elaborately hacked so that a tape of a looped or droning sound (or any other sound) can be precisely sped up or slowed down via Midi or 1v/octave CV to accurately hit notes over a range of 3 octaves.

Multiple Crudmans can be daisy chained for polyphony."

(Not totally sure it's battery powered.)

http://www.crudlabs.org/

BTW, is there a threat about effects? e.g.stompboxes, litte boxes, DIY, etc with unique sounds? like OTO biscuit. or more affortablel stuff like the monotron delay? Didnt find any with the board search.

The Mute Synth ii from the brilliant Dirty Electronics. Very tactile and a ton of fun. Its on the more experimental side for those that like that sort of thing.

In OP-1 terms, its not unlike DNA in some aspects. Its a noise generator, synth, filter and arpeggiator with modular patching area and touch controls. There is a new batch about to be released from Mute records in early September.

…and here a few vids of noodling:
BTW, is there a threat about effects? e.g.stompboxes, litte boxes, DIY, etc with unique sounds? like OTO biscuit. or more affortablel stuff like the monotron delay? Didnt find any with the board search.

Not that I’m aware of. We could make one, though it would need some qualifications, otherwise it would be a pretty massive list of items :slight_smile:

I love OTO’s creations. And the Monotron Delay even more!

The Roland Boutique series (3 of them) was teased a few days ago. Today, someone revealed photos of them. To my extreme delight, they are ready for the sofa life.

All 3 are modules with a USB Audio Interface built-in. They can be slotted into an optional 25-key keyboard. The one that looks the most interesting to me is the Roland JP08, a recreation of the Jupiter 8. It’s battery powered, with built in speakers. Front panel is metal—Yes! Rest is not—No!

It’s, oddly and disappointingly, only 4 voices, but you can chain them for 8 voices or even more. You’ll need a bigger sofa too.

That person’s Instagram has photos, spec sheets of the other 2 synths too.

Wow, these look amazing. Can you post the links to the other two? I can’t find them on Instagram.

There’s since been a Reddit thread with lot more info on all of them. Check the comments for links to all 3 at a retailer, with price and more specs.

They.are.to.DIE FOR!!!
Although I haven’t decided which one I’ll get first, I will own the Jupiter and the Juno, not sure about the other. Man, I almost bought the original version a few months back however space - being of prime importance - coupled with the routine maintenance workload I got put off. UNTIL NOW!!! Haha Jeez Louise Papa Cheese
I have a big shot from the nostalgia gun that brings me back to when I owned Megatron, got a new action figure, or a glow in the dark monster in my pocket with the maximum 100 points on the back! BOOOOOM!!!

One thing I’m really curious about is if when chaining them they form a single rigid product or will it still be two physically separate products. I’ve been imagining having the Jupiter as a 4 octave synth on my lap. It’ll only be 2 feet in width even then.

From what I can gather my brother from another mother your hopes will become true. They will be able to link together for 4 octaves. I think you can even link three or four; however, I was conducting research after being struck with enormous stomach pains at stupid o’clock this couldn’t sleep. There’s already have a good 37 pages upon gearslutz and within them they reveal spellbinding details.

Here’s the link for your perusal:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/1031061-roland-boutique-three-new-roland-synth-products.html

The very first post houses your desires and will answer most or all of your queries. There’s prices and adverts that were put up and taken back down inc. prices.

From what I can gather my brother from another mother your hopes will become true. They will be able to link together for 4 octaves.

Wow, it’s 40+ pages now. I skimmed a few pages.

Do you mean there was someone saying that when chained it would form a single physical object, rather than 2 dangling, separate products?

From what I can gather my brother from another mother your hopes will become true. They will be able to link together for 4 octaves.

Wow, it’s 40+ pages now. I skimmed a few pages.

Do you mean there was someone saying that when chained it would form a single physical object, rather than 2 dangling, separate products?

Touch it and you burn with that one, it’s HOT on the block right now. I checked it again before checking this site, I don’t know why, that thread is as relentlessly mind numbing as it is tedious. Jeez.

I remember reading that it doubles in polyphony as each unit is added and that’s all I know.

You can find your answers from the first post - the thread starter (although ‘fire starter’ would be more appropriate now;). The very first post has a wealth of information pal :wink:

Hey @LibertineLush :slight_smile: I swooningly read another article about these delicious recreations and thought of you. It was in http://www.musictech.net/2015/09/roland-boutique/
and it reads;

“Chainable. You can chain units together so doubling polyphony which for the JX-03 is four voices.”

It’s not a lot of words, but sometimes a few words are all that’s needed. Does it help it were you thinking of something else along the same lines?