Something new coming next week?

https://teenage.engineering

11-22-2023

5 Likes

wow imblind i didnt even see the date when i went to the website earlier!
ā€œoo pretty homepage iconsā€ *proceed to accessories page ;D

2 Likes

Some people were praying for an OP-Z Field on line, but the icons on the post are hinting at something else.
But Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™m curious af!

2 Likes

The style of icons is very OP-Z-ish.
The color scheme is very different though

Ok, what do we see:
USB-C: OPZ already has one
A lot of sampling related icons: cut, hop?, rec, play, in-out, waveform, mono, etc
Knob with a red cap: looks very op-1(f)
LCD screen symbols. This is interesting. Doesnā€™t look like anything before. Even PO screens have a different look
Amplifier Lamp: idk what it is, but itā€™s warm and analogous
5-pin MIDI
:musical_keyboard: - keys?
Laptop - too many options what it could be
Grid + something that looks like an envelope: Reminds me FX graphics

This thing: :person_shrugging:

Side note: OPZ modules dropped price:

What if itā€™s an op1F firmware update that finally gives it the midi capabilities of the op-z?? Maybe thatā€™s why the editing features are there with the icons and stuff of the op1?

I just joined so I might have no clue what Iā€™m talking about :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m probably wrong.
But given how other brands made the move, Iā€™m wondering if they are not about to issue some kind of DAW.
Just the way UAD did it with LUNA. As a way of unifying the Field family. Looking at the icons, Iā€™d say itā€™s a not a so crazy idea. And, given the fact that they released 3 new products already this year, Iā€™d say they are missing this fundamental software block.
Hence the out-of-the blue announcement.
But, again, Iā€™m probably wrong. Itā€™s TE. Weā€™ll know in a few days. And will probably be polarized by the product!

3 Likes

It would be nice :+1:
But if you have an OP-1F and use the sequencers I think itā€™s hard to picture exactly how theyā€™d implement such a deep sequencer with the current setup, plus the Op-1F at itā€™s core plays one thing at a time, whereas the op-z sequences a bunch of tracks at one.

That said Iā€™d be really interested in a couple new sequencers, like things similar to the ALM Pamā€™s Pro Workout module or the Torso T-1. So easy to access/build Euclidean sequencing with multiple parameters of control and random/humanize elements.

3 Likes

so called ā€˜tape componentsā€™ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

for the love of god please be a field firmware update.

But it will probably be a little app or something, or who the heck knows some random thing no oneā€™s expecting that kind of makes sense, looks cool, and is like insanely expensive yet tempting.

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s software based on the icons. Something to supplement the entire field kit

2 Likes

its new hardware. supposedly at a mid-range price point. several products apparentlyā€¦

3 Likes

Anyone spotted any ftc filingsā€¦ lol.
3 new midi control surfaces and an app?

1 Like

Just a suggestion, what if something is coded behind the images? One image = one letter

UPD: Ah damn, its animated, saw a static image first.

1 Like

Maybe something like Korg Gadget, extending the PO android app?

I see symbols that spell PIE-3. Maybe the pastry timing accessory Iā€™ve always dreamed of?

1 Like

Confirmed, itā€™s a three channel kitchen timer to make knockout meals.

3 Likes

Ha! Something 1, 2, 3ā€¦

Something pocket operator ishā€¦

Something with effects but also synth but also chops of tapeā€¦ They sync over midi and USBā€¦

So my 2p: a range of three pocket things that are a synth, a recorder, and then a clock synced effects box.

For bonus guesswork speculation points Iā€™ll also say: the last of the three will be the killer seller.

1 Like

So. Tomorrow, 3pm/15h CET.

What a weird week.

First, today they dropped the toy car for 250ā‚¬.
And tomorrow, drops a new thing.

Gotta say, Iā€™m not exactly sold on that whole way of marketing releases the way TE does anymore.
Itā€™s a bit too Apple-ish for me.
This week (today, to be exact), Chase Bliss released a new pedal. And they nailed the way the marketed the whole thing. Clues, engaging posts, etc. A real boutique approach, if you know what I mean.

TE can try and do the Apple thing with products like the Car or accessories. But when it comes to music gear, call me stupid, call me grumpy, but I like when a company tries to get playful with its customers.
And that whole animated screen is really great. But itā€™s just half a good idea. Could have been way more playful for the whole lot of us.

Anyways.
Iā€™m talking to myself.
Sorry for the pseudo-rant.
Iā€™d lie if I said Iā€™m not curious af.

1 Like

Iā€™m new to TE and synthesis in general but when I saw the OP-1, it was like one of those ā€œWayne world white fender Stratā€ moments - I just had to have it. $2k for a machine of this nature and the way itā€™s designed is ā€œboutique ā€œ which I donā€™t like as a concept or offering or however you want to package the product.

My interest is super high but focused ; itā€™s binary. If it isnā€™t an OP-Z field I will be the happy owner of the op-1 field. Iā€™ll be happy either way, hope thereā€™s a sale if anything, that would be a nice announcement

1 Like

Gotta admit that, for a moment there, I thought it was just them announcing a big sale!

Iā€™m a fairly new owner of some TE gear.
But when I came across the OG1 back in 2011, it was that kind of moment too.
Except that, since it was in a Swedish House Mafia video (and I was starting as a mix engineer, working on EDM tracks a lot), I wanted it as a main synth.
I ended up buying a s*%#load of software that year. And lost sight of that quirky little device.
Only to find it back where I wouldnā€™t have guessed it would find its way : Ambiant and LoFi.

I purchased my op1 Field back in July, thinking it was overpriced and probably just something Iā€™d end up returning (so I could buy a Deluge or a MPC). But since July, Iā€™ve crafted 200+ demos on this thing - despite having a new born at home and loads of work.
It just suits my need.
Iā€™m 15 again, cutting actual tapes in my room, playing with my 50ā‚¬ cheap guitar pedals and my Bontempi synth.

Since the op1 Field, Iā€™ve bought into their POs and the OB-4.
Canā€™t quite justify the rest of the Field family for now.
But I gotta say, they got me hooked.
Now, Iā€™m curious every time they hint at something.

Let us know where this journey takes you!

5 Likes

I am nicely suprised:

4 Likes