Teenage Engineering does not make sense to me at all

Maybe to find answers that even TE didn’t answered, you can send a question to TE about my problem with double trigs, It’s clear that some OP-Z units are faulty and present this problem, if you follow this forum you can find them, but if you ask to TE, they won’t recongize this problem, and you will receive an elusive answer.

If nobody asks these things, how can we know that TE is not a very reliable company on the customer service? We know this thanks to the customer experiences posted on this forum. I bought my OP-Z knowing this issues, because the product concept is very good in my opinion, I finally bought it, but I hope that you won’t have any problem that requiere send your gear to TE, 3 weeks with my OP-Z and returned it to repair, now 5 weeks on TE hands and I don’t know anything of my recently bought product.

And the answers of TE like in the live stream about PO modular is that they are learning. They don’t know if the batery power instructions are correctly in the manual, Tobias say that is in the manual, and Vincent corrects Tobias, it is not on the manual, this is the most embarrasing moment of TE lately. In the marketing point of view is not the best thing you could do, you should not say that, even if it’s true.

I have bought other products to very small companies, and the customer services is better by far, I received a replacement unit in a few days, and I didn’t need to send back the original faulty unit, so it is not about the size of the company. And if you don’t have people to better customer service, maybe you must design and release less products, but hey, they are learning! :thinking:

In the words of the local store where I bought my OP-Z, there are companies that you send something to repair, and you do not have any problems, the product is sent directly, and probably replaced with a working one in a short time. But TE is know on my local store to not be very efficient in this regard.

2 Likes

It is a good argument for the first couple of years…after that no. They should simply release products that they can support and not more. Its not an excuse saying we have 2 new products…release what you can handle. The op 1 is not available in any online store. Have tou ever wondered why? Its a long answer but i can reply if you wish. They released a product , the 400 modular which was clearly not ready for release. They had it in the store, to get the cash, which they need, before it was anywhere to be seen or heard. They cancelled the 2 other modular s , which by the way they had already released the instructions for. The psu on the 400 blows up and they blame the wrong placement of the battery pack on the customers. TE admitted that they receive returned products once a week and replies to email once a week. This is a fact, not my opinion. I could write more. All i say above is not my opinion. They are facts.

3 Likes

Just look at their first ever video for the op-1.
I see them as a band or music group. Don ‘t see them as a Moog or Roland or Yamaha.
So maybe that is why i am such a fanboi.

Do not forget they also have something coming with Ikea. That is probably very time consuming.
Well lets hope for the best. And i hope everyone gets the experience with TE like i did.:v:t4:

1 Like

Band: Spending a small amount of money on an album and finding that a few songs aren’t very good (based upon subjective opinion) in a transaction where there is no expectation of warranty.

Not a Band: Spending a large amount of money on a musical instrument and finding that it doesn’t work (based upon an actual lack of compliance with the product specification) in a transaction where there is an expectation of warranty.

Not a Band.

CB

3 Likes

I feel @Billjv has a point. Even though it’s massively difficult to bring products to market, and it’s even more difficult to break new ground in musical instruments, TE have positioned themselves in that space, and with the territory comes the need to sustain that what they have set out to do. Watching how they roll over a few years seems to confirm that they’re having to make hard, hard, choices right now.

I guess it’s OK to have an emotionally heated argument here, but it’s fair for both sides to be heard and not to be dismissive of one another. The facts are TE are in a rather precarious position right now, having botched their modular release and their cv module release, and delayed the OPZ launch, and obviously not being able to stock the OP1 in a way that keeps people happy. Fundamentally the issue with the OP1 is that the more orders they fulfil, the more pressure that would create on them to fix the issues with the OP1. In that context, the OPZ isn’t making it any simpler since it has issues of its own and the OP1 is let’s say a “suboptimal” team player in a complex setup.

I’m a relatively happy OP1 owner, but with every move TE have reaffirmed my impression they’re into the business of shipping music calculators rather than long-term studio workhorses, ones that secure a permanent spot, cables always plugged in and all.

4 Likes

I’m going to apply all of the knowledge shared in this thread to my music making.

9 Likes

Thats good to know…i don’t see anyone stopping you from it here

1 Like

No-one is bashing their products. They are simply asking for a support of these products nothing more nothing less. The op1 is still available to buy in their shop, something unheard of a few months ago…obviously i have no idea of how many they had after the “relaunch” to begin with.

1 Like

+1

CB

2 Likes

Calling other forum members autistic is, in fact, more than asking for support for a product. This has always been a friendly space and I’d like to see it stay that way.

2 Likes

He did not do that.
But plus one for friendly.

…What exactly are you talking about??..do you have a clue ??

i believe it refers to the mentions of “lack of empathy” above.
gotta respect language barriers, they only add to the heat…

1 Like

he is not referring to that. He is referring to something he completely misread and saw fit to raise the finger instead of apologizing for his mistake…its obvious negative comments are not welcomed here.

1 Like

Only positve. Safe the negatives for gearslutzzz. :ok_hand:t2:

This thread got to epic for me so I didn’t read it all. but I have sympathy for people who have bad support experience with expensive and (mostly) otherwise great products. I’m no expert on autism, but do you need to be able to feel empathy in order to understand and practice it?

2 Likes

Ofcourse. The remark about autism and no empathy was meant more like tongue in cheek, because that is what is thought about autism in general.
It is ofcourse horrible for people with bad experiences with TE.
But my reaction was more about the tendancy these days to complain about everything plus the bandwagoning (is this a word?) of loads of people with negative remarks that are not in place (English is not my native language, sorry for the fantasy spelling and grammar)
But the autism is real ( diagnosed) but the thing about empathy is the other way around i guess.

1 Like

…appropriately titled

1 Like

This thread convinced me that its time to let my OP-Z go.
I got rid of my OP-1, and have pondered the OP-Z for a little while. I realized I liked the concept of it better than I liked playing with it.

Thanks for that extra little push!

2 Likes