Teenage Engineering does not make sense to me at all

Although my posts have been deemed irrelevant to th op 1 i will continue to post in this section. No one is forced to read the unpleasant truth.

First let me say that i own the op1, opz and 4 operators. The reason i mention it is that i am obviously not a ā€œhaterā€ blah blahā€¦
I think that the FACTS speak for themselves and the conclusion is rather obvious.
TE announces out of the blue and accepts preorders for 3 modulars which are not even produced yet, tested ā€¦nothing. They are available ONLY through their store. I have no idea how many they made. We can safely assume that since they where out of stock very quickly a hefty sum was collected.
TE announces that 2 of the products will not be released. Remember we are talking about products that they have already printed manuals for!!
The 400 modular is released with many, to say the least problems. The product was fast released.

The op1 was refurbished and resold as new at least since 2016. I know that for fact. I went through 3 non working op1s bought from online German stores at that time. All 3 units had the same problem. Thank god the i was NOT dealing with TE but big online stores, 3 different ones! I would receive an op1, same problem always and send it back. I still have the serial numbers and all the emails from the shops. At one point i called the shops one by one. To make a long story short i was told this. A lot of op 1s where returned and sent back to TE. When i asked if i was receiving a refurbished , B stock item , i was told that technically YES!. When i asked why isnā€™t it listed as a b stock and priced accordingly i got this reply. "We can only sell something as b stock if the buyer sends back a fully working item. If TE sends us back refurbished items as new we pay the full price therefore we can only sell them as new. Thats the reason that many boxes at that time where not in the best condition as wellā€¦ They where sent multiple times. I WAS TOLD ALL THIS BY 2 SHOPS.
4. The only way TE could " keep the cash " flowing and not have to deal with huge shops that have 14 days max for refunds was to only sell from THEIR store. Thats what they did. They can take their time and keep you waiting for months on end.
5. At the moment their is hardly anything for sale on their store. 95% of the items are out of stock with not even a hint of when and if they will appear again. Does that sound like a company in trouble. Undeniably yes.

The modulars appeared one day at their site. That was it. What they did before you are speculating , not me. I donā€™t know. I am judging from the end result. I got one and sold it after 3 days. It was in no way ready for release, nooo way. Remember the opz was flaunted around shows and stuff for 3 years before it was finally released.
The 2 other modulars they have said NOTHING about. Again i can just state facts. They were never even assembled just to show us what they do. There where lying on a bed as sheets of metal and included in the manual. If there was at least a preproduction model they had that worked i can assume they would show it. You do not collect money for a product unless you know you can sell it, if there was a serious bug / design error in the keyboard module i have no idea. But they got payed for these.

I honestly dont care what they do from now on because i cannot accept their attitude with support , pricing etc etc. Thats my opinion.

ps
I think that when a person like ā€œgerotakeā€? i dont know if i have the name correct, posts that he will sell all his TE stuff and most probably delete his sample import tool he made for the opz because he is fed up with them is enoughā€¦for me at least.

3 threads got moved in the ā€œSoapboxā€ Category, as they are totally derailing, endlessly filled with the same negative comments.

Several users think that such attitude is severely damaging the friendly and respectful atmosphere that has prevailed in this community for years.

Please, reconsider how you wish to contribute to this forum.

5 Likes

I believe youā€™re mostly right. The great minds that created the OP-1 must be cone considering the top banner of the website avdvertizes a $250 toy car!? Service isnā€™t great, but TEā€™s staff is less then 50 people. If you donā€™t like the company, (I love and respect TE), just donā€™t buy from them, itā€™s not hard. Cool your jets.

1 Like