The Definitive Guide to Trying to Connect Your OP-1 Via USB-MIDI

Hey, I just got my camera connection kit for pad. Now, I would like to play Op-1 with Chordion app. So I put the Chordion in midi mode and wired it to Op-1, but nothing happens when I play Chordion. Does anyone know where do I go wrong?

You need to make sure that the midi is flowing from the right source to the right destination. For this I use… Midiflow. :smiley:

Another app, I presume:D Thanks for the advice, I look into it.

Hey, I just got my camera connection kit for pad. Now, I would like to play Op-1 with Chordion app. So I put the Chordion in midi mode and wired it to Op-1, but nothing happens when I play Chordion. Does anyone know where do I go wrong?

You need to make sure that the midi is flowing from the right source to the right destination. For this I use… Midiflow. :smiley:

Hi folks, new here.

Sorry to beat a dead horse here BUT… I’m in the same position as some who can’t get the Beatstep Pro and OP-1 to “talk.” I’ve got my microKorg and BSP talking fine over MIDI. Easy. The OP-1? Argh so frustrated.

My desktop computer (iMac) can be the “USB host” that you are discussing here, correct? So both the BSP and OP-1 are connected to the computer via USB. The BSP’s MIDI Control Center is running and both devices are set to Channel 1.

How do I route the signal between the two? I don’t see anywhere in the MIDI control center to acknowledge that the OP-1 is the device I want to communicate with. And BSP manual is, like the OP-1’s, rather rudimentary…

Kindergarten language please because I’m a dolt when it comes to this stuff. Ha! My goal is to be able to sequence (in the BSP) the synth and drum sounds from the OP-1 so I can chain together patterns to form songs, which I cannot seem to do in the OP-1 itself.

Truly thankful if anyone can help!

Some kind of MIDI routing software, perhaps?

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10541/midipipe

Some kind of MIDI routing software, perhaps?

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10541/midipipe

Thanks I’ll give it a shot!

i’m using an iphone with the midibridge app for midi routing. Great for computerless setups.

i'm using an iphone with the midibridge app for midi routing. Great for computerless setups.

I’ve got an old iPhone 4s laying around somewhere. Can you elaborate on how this is setup please mate? Looking to sync OP-1 with Octatrack and spend as little money as poss :wink:

You need:

• iOS device (I use iPad)
  • Camera connection kit (CCK) compatible with your iOS device
  • USB hub (iOS generally can't power this via the CCK so you need a powered hub)
  • USB cable for OP1
  • MIDI to USB interface (I use M-Audio Uno)
  • App to route the MIDI (Midiflow or Midibridge would both do this)

Not sure about Midibridge but in Midiflow you select a source (i.e. would be your interface, in my case Uno) and a destination (would be the OP1). Want to control the Octatrack with the OP1 then add another routing, OP1 as source and Uno as destination. You then need to make sure the Midi Channels are right on each of your devices. Midiflow for example can set up filters or remapping as necessary. Remapping is an IAP (in app purchase) but well worth it.

@ghostly606 thanks a lot for that! super helpful, cheers :slight_smile:

I’m glad this thread is here! I am probably too dense, but I can’t seem to get my microKorg to control the OP-1. Is this why the OPlab exists?

OPlab or USB host or computer / iOS device of some kind. The OP1 speaks USB MIDI, the microKorg speaks DIN MIDI and the two need a translator.

Check your midi page on OP1.(shift & com).
There’s two separate midi channels to select .Ones for OP1 as a midi controller (for Ableton/Reason) and then a channel for OP1 as an instrument.
Check this aint confusing things.Shift may access one channel setting.

Check your midi page on OP1.(shift & com). There's two separate midi channels to select .Ones for OP1 as a midi controller (for Ableton/Reason) and then a channel for OP1 as an instrument. Check this aint confusing things.Shift may access one channel setting.

Thanks. Yeah, both are set to Channel 1. I thought the MIDI routing software would work, as it recognizes the two devices (BSP I’ve set as MIDI out and OP-1 as MIDI in, right?), but still nothing. I’m trying the Arturia forums too so we’ll see. It has to be something with the MIDI Control Center software the BSP comes with, something I’m missing I think. I’m stumped.

Will it work when i use my iPad in an Alesis i/o Dock and a USB OTG Cable to send OP-1 Midi in and out?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006070M96/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

io Dock <-> USB (or USB Hub) <-> OP-1

Will it work when i use my iPad in an Alesis i/o Dock and a USB OTG Cable to send OP-1 Midi in and out?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006070M96/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

io Dock <-> USB (or USB Hub) <-> OP-1

It looks like that i/o Dock is a USB MIDI Device, and not a USB Host. So, no, it doesn’t look like it will work. As of now, USB OTG is not supported on OP-1, so an OTG cable should not work.

Out of interest, Im looking at slaving the OP-1 to my MPC (60). Whats the best device for this?

It looks like that i/o Dock is a USB MIDI Device, and not a USB Host. So, no, it doesn't look like it will work. As of now, USB OTG is not supported on OP-1, so an OTG cable should not work.

Yes i know. But the iPad can be the Host. So when iPad is inside it should do the job or am i wrong?

It looks like that i/o Dock is a USB MIDI Device, and not a USB Host. So, no, it doesn't look like it will work. As of now, USB OTG is not supported on OP-1, so an OTG cable should not work.

Yes i know. But the iPad can be the Host. So when iPad is inside it should do the job or am i wrong?

There’s not much documentation on it. If the USB port on the io Dock is just “USB MIDI” then I wouldn’t imagine it does USB Hosting. You are putting extra hardware in between the iPad and OP-1. So even though you can directly connect an OP-1 to and iPad, putting more in the middle makes it harder to say. Do you already own the io Dock? Because if you do, a quick check would be to try connecting the io Dock to your computer with the iPad in it and see if the computer actually sees the iPad, or if it only sees a Class Compliant USB MIDI Device. In the end, if you want to see if it works, the cable is pretty cheap, so wouldn’t put you on the street to try out.

Out of interest, Im looking at slaving the OP-1 to my MPC (60). Whats the best device for this?

In my opinion, the iConnect4MIDI+ is the best because it offers a lot. But best is really up to exactly what you want.

If you want to use the OP-1 with another USB MIDI or MIDI DIN device without a laptop, you will need to purchase something like the OPLAB, iConnectMIDI4+, Kenton USB Host, or CerebelUSB MIDI thingy. Each have their own feature sets that may or may not be useful to you, so research what is worth the money to you. Some also connect to iPads and iPhones for app connectivity.”