The Definitive Guide to Trying to Connect Your OP-1 Via USB-MIDI

yes it is shown up as Midi Device. i think i just will have a try when the cable has arrived. Would be Great then no other expensive hardware is need. :smiley:
Any good idea for a Midi Routing App?

Let us know if it works or doesn’t. Always best to know if someone else is trying the same method. I don’t have any experience with MIDI Routing apps, but there are a couple that seem to come up often on here. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Midiflow!

I try and plug my op-1 directly into my iPad Air via the Lightening to USB kit. iPad does not recognize the controller, doesn’t show up in the apps. I know the plug works I tested it with a m-audio controller. Do I need to add a powered hub?

All I really want is tape to be in sync with gadget or auxy on start, and record a few midi patterns to tape.

Thanks in advance

I try and plug my op-1 directly into my iPad Air via the Lightening to USB kit. iPad does not recognize the controller, doesn't show up in the apps. I know the plug works I tested it with a m-audio controller. Do I need to add a powered hub?

All I really want is tape to be in sync with gadget or auxy on start, and record a few midi patterns to tape.

Thanks in advance

Did you put your OP-1 into MIDI mode?

Not sure about ipad air, but ipad mini 2 can power an op1 and another midi controller via an unpowered hub. Any more connections and it needs some extra juice though.

Ok so when I went home I used a powered USB hub, and plugged in op-1 to iPad Air with lightening USB connection and it was recognized, without the powered hub u was getting device can not be powered messages, and wasn’t working

Maybe an issue with the air then.

OP1 team,

I ordered this one from Hobbytronics UK…
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter

Looks like to be the cheapest built/ready to plug option available…
I’ll let you know in a few days if it does the job correctly :wink:

I have looked a lot and still can’t tell… I have wanted to simply route my Electro-Harmonix 45,000 looper, from its MIDI 5-pin out, to input to and MIDI control my OP-1. I’ve seen a lot across the forum about controlling the OP with an exterior USB device, but what is the minimum I’d need to convert the 5-pin MIDI to OP? Just a cable? Would a Kenton or similar be needed, and work, for that more analog control purpose?

OP1 team,

I ordered this one from Hobbytronics UK...
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter

Looks like to be the cheapest built/ready to plug option available...
I'll let you know in a few days if it does the job correctly ;-)

Ah, good for them, they actually made exactly what we need from their USB Host chip. Saves a bit of soldering!

I have looked a lot and still can't tell... I have wanted to simply route my Electro-Harmonix 45,000 looper, from its MIDI 5-pin out, to input to and MIDI control my OP-1. I've seen a lot across the forum about controlling the OP with an exterior USB device, but what is the minimum I'd need to convert the 5-pin MIDI to OP? Just a cable? Would a Kenton or similar be needed, and work, for that more analog control purpose?

You need any USB to MIDI DIN converter that is bidirectional. The Hobbytronics posted above will work, as will the Kenton USB Host, iConnectivityMIDI4+ or AUDIO4+, or Raspberry Pi solution. What will not work is the Cerebus or anything that goes from USB MIDI host to MIDI DIN OUT.

You need any USB to MIDI DIN converter that is bidirectional. The Hobbytronics posted above will work, as will the Kenton USB Host, iConnectivityMIDI4+ or AUDIO4+, or Raspberry Pi solution. What will not work is the Cerebus or anything that goes from USB MIDI host to MIDI DIN OUT.

Thanks for the info… had always been hard to tell for me which ones were bidirectional and which ones weren’t. That Hobbytronics unit sounds pretty ideal, way better price than the other units and seems to do everything I need… look forward to hearing how it works for you @Ayman59

I’ve been using the Kenton USB host for many years on a custom battery pack. It has allowed me to unleash the amazing OP-1 sequencers on all my hardware without a computer.

I also have the iConnectMIDI cable with the lightning adapter to use my iPad Pro as well.

Combine all that with my Novation Circuit, Tenori-on, and Bastl Microgranny2, and It’s a good time to be mobile. :slight_smile:

I've been using the Kenton USB host for many years on a custom battery pack. It has allowed me to unleash the amazing OP-1 sequencers on all my hardware without a computer.

I also have the iConnectMIDI cable with the lightning adapter to use my iPad Pro as well.

Combine all that with my Novation Circuit, Tenori-on, and Bastl Microgranny2, and It's a good time to be mobile. :-)

Using a Pedal Juice currently for power in public. Wondering what kind of custom battery pack you’re rocking?

something I whipped up when Radio Shack still existed

2 styles - four AA batt (Alkaline or NiMH) in a small switch box, one with a barrel connector, one with a USB mini connector since I have 2 flavors of Kenton MIDI host

always have power when I can’t charge anything - Kenton uses little juice

Guys, apparently it works with the Hobbytronic in both ways.
I can trigger notes from my MPC1000 but I can’t start and stop the sequencer and send midi clock from the MPC??? Any known midi issues with the beta os?

For your information I’m using a MPC1000 with JJOS and I set midi out A to TIME CODE in the midi/sync page…

@GCF Help :wink:

Guys, apparently it works with the Hobbytronic in both ways.
I can trigger notes from my MPC1000 but I can't start and stop the sequencer and send midi clock from the MPC???? Any known midi issues with the beta os?

For your information I'm using a MPC1000 with JJOS and I set midi out A to TIME CODE in the midi/sync page..

@GCF Help ;-)

Is your clock set to “sync” mode? You will probably have to choose between the OP-1 being the master clock and the MPC being the master clock. I don’t believe you can set MIDI devices to be masters and slaves at the same time.

Yes I set the OP1 to “SYNC” mode on the BPM page, but the strange thing is that there’s no “EXT” message above the SYNC selection!? Is it because I’m using the beta OS??

I’m sure the MPC is sending midi clock message, I tried with my Tanzmaus and the sequencer is starting/stoping correctly with the correct tempo!?!?

This sounds like the problem I have with my DIY-usb-host. I cannot sync the tape or sequencers really. I set the OP-1 to SYNC but nothing happens. But I’ve never checked the Midi page in the OP-1 : D Maybe this solves the problem even tho I’m not sure this will be succesful. On the other hand midi works in both directions… I have no idea.