The Definitive Guide to Trying to Connect Your OP-1 Via USB-MIDI

@Jpeller Looks like you need a Raspberry Pi Zero in order to get it running as a USB MIDI Host

Raspberry Pi USB Host/Client
Connect a RaspberryPi to the (PiZero)-layout-compatible connector, download our disk image and use the RK-004 to merge your USB-only midi devices into ‘the real MIDI world’.
Not only for RPi projects; By setting the 1st RK-004 port to Serial mode you are able to connect the RK-004 via serial port on a regular baud rate, easily integrating other hardware projects into your music.”

Hmm, this guy use the hobbytronics host and gets the realtime messages through (beatstep and beatstep pro). So is it something with the OP-1? Sucks, because I bought the chip hoping to pass sync to the OP-1 from a BSP…

@Rackabajsarn I tested it between Novation Circuit and Roland TR8 and it work fine passing realtime/tempo so it seems to be something with the combination of it and OP-1.

OP-1 works fine with realtime from Abelton and other guys seem to get it working with other interfaces so likely Hobbytronics doing something not right and OP-1 not handling as well as it should.

For those curious I just made a small video showing the Hobbytronics USB host board:
https://youtu.be/FDh5pj9ExQE

Hmm… I have the mini version, anyone tried the other version, the 2.4? Probably the same problem though… What version of their software are you running? I saw in the changelog: <span style=“font-family: “Courier New”, Courier, Helvetica, sans-serif, Arial; font-size: 12px;”>1.10 24 SEP 2015 RealTime message fixes

nO ONE TRIED pUCK WITH AN iPAD YET?

does anyone know if the OP1 responds to more MIDI than just notes? Aka, if you plug in an external midi keyboard via something like a Kenton does it also responds to pedal on / off messages? how about pitch bend? Does it receive Clock?

I have looked form some documentation on the OP1 site about it but didn’t find anything. Anyone got experience?

Cheers!

Yes - I just plugged my CZ-5000 keyboard into a Kenton MIDI host then USB to the OP-1 and pitch bend works just fine.

CB
Yes - I just plugged my CZ-5000 keyboard into a Kenton MIDI host then USB to the OP-1 and pitch bend works just fine.

CB

Awesome, thanks for the infor! Does it also respond to pedal / sustain information?

just to chime in, I’ve just tried the hobbytronics MIDI USB - DIN Converter. Using it to control my Op1 from my Octatrack. Midi messages are getting through, but really flakey results - notes transmit intermittently and are held. If I attempt to control transport and clock i.e. send clock message to the op1 - the op1 crashes spectacularly! See attached photo…

As anyone been able to get these devices working together!?
just to chime in, I've just tried the hobbytronics MIDI USB - DIN Converter. Using it to control my Op1 from my Octatrack. Midi messages are getting through, but really flakey results - notes transmit intermittently and are held. If I attempt to control transport and clock i.e. send clock message to the op1 - the op1 crashes spectacularly! See attached photo...

As anyone been able to get these devices working together!?

I also use op 1 and and octatrack as my main instrument, I’ve noticed the op1 does not respond consistently to midi in messages, clock or notes… I ended up switching so my op is the master and sends midi clOck, start stop , to the octatrack instead. Octatrack sends midi notes and what not out to my system 1m and so on…only problem now is op will just drop its midi signal to the octatrack every now and then which I just replug back in and it works again! Wouldn’t trust it for a live set up tho

Hmm, thats odd!

@PTSowns, are you also using the hobbytronics MIDI usb - DIN converter?

I have been thinking of getting the kenton USB for live stuff as i have a great midi sequencer i use a lot and would love to play the OP1 from it. Would be god if it was pretty rock solid reliable though…

Also, anyone got experience with the OP1 responding to sustain pedal information (aka, gate information)

x

Hmm, thats odd!

@PTSowns, are you also using the hobbytronics MIDI usb - DIN converter?

I have been thinking of getting the kenton USB for live stuff as i have a great midi sequencer i use a lot and would love to play the OP1 from it. Would be god if it was pretty rock solid reliable though...

Also, anyone got experience with the OP1 responding to sustain pedal information (aka, gate information)

x

I use the Kenton box

Hi everybody! I bought and OP-1 a year ago and as we all know its an AMAZING device, but I having a tough time trying to sync it. The gear I would like to sync is my OP-1, some analog gear (volcas, drumbrute and microbrute) and an ipad air 2 (using the Samplr app for example. I want to clock-sync them so I can use each device’s own sequencers live on the fly. I don’t want to use a computer at all and I heard I can do that using some midi devices as kenton or the iconnectmidi 4+. Is that correct? If I buy one of those midi interfaces what else should I do? Is it just plug and play or do I need anything else? My skills in this area are almost none so PLEASE I need your help explained in a very easy way so I can get it right. Im quite desperated by now so ANY help would be more than welcome. Thank you guys for your time and attention.

iConnectivityMIDI4+ will work with iPad and those other devices. You could then either use the MIDI DIN jacks or MIDI USB depending on what you have on the devices. It should work as plug and play on the iConnectivity side, I believe. But you may have to change some settings on your devices for them to either act as the MIDI time master or slave. You may also have to work with the settings on the MIDI4+ app to get it to your exact setup. But that’s where the manual comes in for you to get exactly what you are looking for. I have the MIDI4+ and it really simplified my MIDI setup.

OK, i got a Kenton Midi - USB, seems to be working as expected, woo hoo :slight_smile:

I was wondering if there was any way to set the channel that the OP1 is listening to? i have quite a complicated MIDI rig that uses Channels, at the moment the OP1 is receiving on all channels which is not ideal! Any advice?

t

Never mind, i found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qJ_FvGbVu0

Hmm, new question, does anyone have experience with the OP1 sometimes randomly latching notes or not responding to an external keyboard?

Hmm, new question, does anyone have experience with the OP1 sometimes randomly latching notes or not responding to an external keyboard?

I had trouble running midi into op-1, connection was unstable, sync was off and weird midi note situations. I run all my midi out of op now and everything works fine

What is your setup like? I had issues with a Sub Phatty while using iConnectMIDI4+ and Ableton Live with some notes latching. But I think that may have been due to some MIDI signals getting looped back to the Phatty from the Phatty, causing it to latch.