The gearlust thread part deux: post your GAS

I want this one: Korg MMA 130 battery monitor speaker! No more synths… today I saw it at my musicshop, but they don’t sell it unfortunately, it was just for presentation.

Focusrite’s iTrack Dock looks nice for anyone using an iPad. It has a USB port to connect the OP-1 to, and you get 2 inputs with several connectors: 2 XLR capable of phantom power, 2 TRS for line level sources, and 1 instrument level for input 1. TRS outs for your monitors, the previously mentioned USB port, and a sliding Lightning connector for use with an iPad Air or Mini Retina (sized for the Mini, the Air sticks out). They’re using the same pres as the Scarlett range of interfaces.

I’m daydreaming about plugging an Oplab into the USB port, and gaining 2 USB Host ports + MIDI DIN. But I don’t think I’ll buy it, as tempting as it is. I want to roll with my Tascam 414mkII for a while and see how it grabs me, though I really need at least a small mixer since its mixer doesn’t have enough inputs since the stereo tracks are also the effects returns -_-

Still, I could run/sync an Elektron, OP-1, Blofeld, and SP-303/404/404sx through a mixer, sync it all to MIDI with the Oplab, and record to Cubasis, Garageband, Focusrite’s Tape app, Beatmaker, etc via the mixer’s outputs into the iTrack Dock’s inputs and treat it like a digital multitrack. Le happy sigh.

Maybe build a little brace to use it with my iPhone 5S in the Mini position lol…

@beefinator - congrats…hard to out-GAS that around here!

Deciding whether or not to pull the trigger on a Waldorf Pulse 2 or Blofeld is taking up way too much of my time…

A hard choice @ChiefBigSmoke - I bought both and want to keep both, but something must go :frowning: They both sound really good, too.

I’ve heard neither in person, but the Pulse 2 seems slightly more intriguing (Sonic Lab review). Most of my hesitation is related to overlap with my Tempest. The paraphonic mode (and the sound!) seems really great.

Mine’s a Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12. That, or a sidstation/midibox, but let’s be real, I can’t get my hands on those.

I see a lot of A4s in this thread. Can someone tell me why I should go for an A4 over, say, a Tetra or some other polysynth?

@krisM according to Focusrite the itrack dock , but have you seen this one? http://store.griffintechnology.com/studioconnect-hd

@scottux

I don’t know about other polysynths, but compared to Tetra A4 has superior interface and sequencing capabilities, more slots to store stuff and a lot of extra sound features (like AM, feedback oscillators, bandpass, high-pass and notch filters, suboscillators tunable in fifths, effects). The only things in Tetra that I don’t see completely replicated in A4 are gain and filter mod (from OSC1) parameters.

Tetras can be chained with other DSI gear for more voices. A4 can process external audio and do CV stuff.

A4 sounds more mellow, while Tetra sounds rough, but I think it’s mostly a matter of presets and perception. I compared them side-by-side and basic filter-oscialltor combinations sound pretty close.

In the end, for me it all came to the fact that A4 is more hand-on, more usable and definitely more fun to program. Tetra sounds good and has enough sonic features for me, but I never used it, because of the interface. A4 is a complete performance instrument and analog workstation in a box.

@ChiefBigSmoke - I have a Pluse 2 and it’s amazing. Sounds great, has a lot of features, easy to use, compact. These days it’s the only analog gear in my live setup. Speaking of which, I’m selling the MicroBrute… in case any one of you guys have been GASsing to get one. :slight_smile:

As for the Blofeld, never tried it and the UI is reported to have several bugs but sound-wise it appears to be a nice piece of instrument.

I really want the new minibrute se, does anyone have it yet?

@Vituel_Flannel Hi The Sub Phatty is now here on a price of 799 euro’s and I am very excited about this beautiful small synth. Is the software stable and do you get a library with extra presets as they mentioned?

@jooga1972
That is cool to hear. Do you use the paraphonic capability of the Pulse 2 much, or more as a mono?

Good question. I always wanted to see a good demo on the limitations of the paraphonic modes of that thing. (I’m no longer in the market for a new analog, but I’m still curious.) They share a filter, so I assume it’s impossible to use filter envelopes. What kinds of sounds can you still do and which sound are not doable in that mode?

Got my Monomachine yesterday. I’m surprised by how similar it is to the OP-1. It’s like the OP-1s bigger, more sophisticated brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zTH8d7PWgA0#t=263

i thought i was though the worst. but this intrigues me… a shruthi XT 4MP

@KrisM - you can most likely sync all your gear without the OPLAB by using a powered USB hub and the Midibridge App on the ipad.

Into my 4 port hub I plug an M-Audio UNO, OP-1, Microbrute & an Alesis 8FX mixer.

The ipad uses the Mixer as an audio card (2in - 2out), the UNO for midi & I can send midi where I want via midibridge. Sending stuff to the Microbrute ‘port’ gives me cv too :slight_smile:

I’ve got a few setups saved as snapshots, so I can have a Cubasis ‘recording’ setup where stuff is controlled by midi from the app or various jamming options which work better (for me) when I use the Machinedrum as the master and the ipad as a soundmodule or effect.

Using the mixer as a soundcard means I use 2 inputs less on the mixer too :slight_smile:

Let me know if you want any more detailed instructions on the setups.

Sorry for OT - I’ll post my GAS ‘issues’ below :slight_smile:

no worries, the GAS thread always seems to be a general gear topic anyway @GrainBastard. but I would definitely need my Oplab if I got the iTrack Dock because I need MIDI DIN. I suppose I could use a USB MIDI interface with it, but I already have the Oplab :slight_smile:

the StudioConnect is an option, too @Kites

I already have a Line 6 Sonic Port, so I can record to an iDevice in stereo and give it a go before dropping $200 on an iPad dock.

I got my Patchblocks :smiley: They are pretty small, I’ll try and post size comparison pictures with the OP-1 later tonight. Two of them are about the size of an iPhone 4/4S.

I think these could be a good companion sound maker and/or effect device for the OP-1 (though a mini KP2 is arguably a more cost-effective solution, it isn’t nearly as cool imo).

Of course I have eight of them >.> Being able to route signals between the blocks digitally, as well as patching with 3.5mm cables, is going to be pretty awesome.

Someone on the Patchblocks ‘forum’ even uses theirs as an LFO for their microbrute (keep in mind it can only do -/+1V so you won’t have all the range of a full -/+5V setup…). You can also mod a cable so you get 0/+2V instead. And I’m pretty sure you can cobble something together to convert it to a -/+5V system (my Arduino sense is tingling).

As I think about those CV inputs on my Oplab with new enthusiasm, now >.>

I want the Sequentix Cirklon, but I’d require a new brain to understand it, a new bank account to afford it, and a new patience button to wait the 6 months it takes to get one.