The gearlust thread part deux: post your GAS

@krism I was looking at the line 6 sonic port too! how’s the sound quality? I feel that I have a limited choices since i have an iPad Air. :confused:

opps, in my previous post I meant to say, " the itrack dock can’t host a usb hub, according to Focusrite"

that’s right @kites no hub. what do you want to connect?

maybe multiple controllers, a midi 5 pin to USB converter for my Nord Drum. I don’t know, I think the StudioConnect is the answer, but it doesn’t have any sign of a release date. : 0

@tasmansea That video killed my ears!

anyone here using the boss rc505 desktop looper? i haven’t seen any videos online where its used to layer sounds other than vocals. wondering if its a good fit with the op?

@instantjuggler:

BOSS RC-505 - Nastya Maslova - D'n'B Song - YouTube
Boss RC-505 loop station - Nastya Maslova - YouTube

I use Loopy HD (iOS app) with my OP-1 (similar ‘reach out and touch’ type of looper) and it works nicely.

@Kites I like the Sonic Port, haven’t noticed any sound issues, though I wish it had an input level control like the iRig HD (my active bass overdrives the shit out of it…). It’s too bad it doesn’t come with a USB cable, only Lightning or Dock, but I like it and don’t regret the purchase at all. I use it mainly to record the OP-1 into an iPhone or iPad, and to get my guitar or bass into the OP-1 using JamUp as the amp.

As for the iTrack Dock, the beauty of the Oplab is that it isn’t a hub, it is seen by computers as a class-compliant USB MIDI interface, and does all the routing with its own hardware, so it should be a good work around :slight_smile:

And as promised, the OP-1 and Patchblocks:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/km2783/photo1_zpsad56365d.jpg

Ooo patchblocks!

What studio cans are everyone using? I currently monitor with a pair of moded Grado Sr225i and I’m not too sure if they are the best for the situation especially when they lack a lot of bass. Any suggestions? (Looks required :slight_smile:

I have two pairs of Audio Technica ATH-M50s. Excellent bang for the buck ‘monitor’/beginner audiophile headphones. The level of hiss with the OP-1 is significantly reduced due to the 38ohm impedance.

KrisM that’s good news! Does that mean it may work with an iconnectmid?? The oplab is out of my price range.

maybe, if it is class compliant (driverless).

ChiefBigSmoke , absolutely, I use the paraphonic mode frequently, mainly for huge pads.

My interests at the moment are (in no particular order)

Nord A1
Moog Sub37
A4
Analog Rytm
Eventide H9
The Teenage Engineering ‘Game & Watch’ drum machine (not out yet!)
UA Apollo interface

As being as the H9 & Game & Watch thing are the only ones less than a ‘bag-of-sand’, I don’t think I’ll own them all!!

I already own :-

DAW with Cubase & UAD cards
OP-1
Machinedrum SPS-1
Microbrute
Mopho
TT-303
A mighty Roland EG-101!!
2 iPads
Alesis Mixer
Vestax QFO

oh and a Monotron :slight_smile:

To be honest, I have more than enough gear when I factor in all the VSTi’s, so it is a pure form of GAS that blights me :slight_smile:

Headphones - I’ve just got some AKG612’s which I’ve run-in a bit now and they are sounding superb for the cash.

They are open back so great for monitoring and mixing with.

I use a pair of Monkey Banana Turbo 5 studio monitors. I am happy with them but have no real experience with other studio monitors. They are very good at showing me all the details I need when playing at a not too loud volume, but I find myself wanting something down the line that I could use to ROCK OUT and play at a party!

I´ve had my System 90 for 6 days now and I am really enjoying it! I can create so many different sounds with this, from classic analog bass and leads, to bleeps and blobs and more experimental/droney stuff. But… I am now bitten with the modular bug… and I need more… a sequencer two sequencers, another voice or two… a Wogglebug for random voltages… drum modules…

EDIT: how do I embed an image here??

@kites - an iPad air has the same options for audioards as any other imo as you just need the lightning to usb connector from apple and then whatever class compliant usb interface you want. I’m currently using an old usb alesis mixer as my audiocard for my Air

If the device has midi that works too - need to connect another usb device, connect them via a simple powered usb hub. You can then ‘see’ the devices in any core audio/midi app.

The problem with docks imo is that apple will eventually make them obsolete with some future ipad ‘development’.

embed an image just by posting the url @Kites. @dimi3 installed a plugin that handles media embedding.

To be fair to Apple, the Dock connector was around for nine years, but at the same time it’d sure be nice if they could just use micro USB like everyone else’s smartphones >.> But if they did that they couldn’t sell license fees for accessories, could they? -_- Le sigh…

An Analog Four makes a fine CV sequencer @Slomen >.>

Have you considered Zoom @GrainBastard? The MS-70CDR is their “chorus delay reverb” stereo pedal and it’s $100 new if you shop around and you don’t have to buy any algos. They even have a few Eventide emulations >.> Space’s Blackhole is definitely one. You can chain up to 6 effects, and cycle through presets with the footswitch. Alternatively the MS-100BT gives you everything the MS-50G, MS-60B, and MS-70CDR offer, but you have to pay for some of them with their iOS app ($2-$4 though, vs $19 for the H9), and they do offer a lot of them for free. I’m pretty sure the pedal holds everything the app can send over, too, which was my initial concern, i.e. how many can I load across? I paid $100 new for my 100BT at Sam Ash, which was cheaper than anyone selling it used at the time. I like it, so I don’t feel the need to try a $400 or $500 H9, but that’s me and not you of course :slight_smile:

I am having a blast with my Patchblocks @Slomen so I feel you on the modular, though these aren’t as immediate as something like your eurorack setup. But you know… they could make for cheap external digitally-flavoured oscillators and filters/processors for a eurorack >.>

@GrainBastard that’s a good point about the ipad docks, that why I think the itrack dock and studio connect hd will live up for a while. I think I like the idea of the dock making everything more compact and portable (less cables, less stuff)

It seems like the A4 is the most flexible of the Elektron machines - my priority being making as much as possible inside one machine.

What do you think?

I have to disagree @johnl, I think that honour goes to the Octatrack, simply because it’s a sampler. However, sound locks make the A4 very versatile within the four voice limit. But the OT can sample lock, and with sample chains + 8 tracks onboard it can do so much more.

That said, every single Elektron can stand on its own if it has to.

I’ve got some fatal GAS these days, look forward to building up my gear though. Been lusting after a Nord Drum set up for a while, also hoping to grab a Cirklon sequencer: http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm

And the smallest Seaboard: https://www.roli.com/pre-order-a-seaboard-grand-studio/

I have a custom amp in mind, hoping to go Verellen as they make some beautiful custom work (guitar).

And last but not least is something I’ve essentially paid for already, just waiting on it’s release but damn have I been itching to get my hands on this thing for over a year now: a new Gittler Special Edition 31 fret titanium stick guitar:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gittler-guitar/8051353154/
^ That’s the standard one, the Special Edition is a dark grey (has a special coating).
It has 6 pickups on board, standard + 13 pin out, 31 frets and you can slide beyond the last fret, interchangeable neck profiles (I will likely not use them though) - and you can bend the whole guitar.