The NAMM Thread (22-25 January 2015)

I really hate the name "K-Mix" btw...

Me too. Awesome looking piece of kit though!

Elektron: We Make Hardware Because Making Music Should Be Fun: As Long As It's Attached To A Computer

:wink:

Yeah, kind of odd, almost like they changed their mind, and the weird thing is generally there seems to be a widespread movement of electronic musicians to get away from the computer (finally!) and further to this, if you want to use a computer then there are many choices more suited other than Elektron to choose from, Elektron gear strength lies in its sequencer and tightly integrated sound source, standalone tools primarily IMHO.

I hate to say it but I think Elektron have lost their way a bit, everyone else is catching up with sequencers, like the new electribe has individual track lengths with proper page view, sequencer step manipulation and it is less than a third of the price, I personally think that they need to listen to their users more and refine the sequencers which are looking a bit dated feature wise.

Don’t get me wrong I love the A4 and Octatrack, but do find that the sequencers are letting them down a bit, I guess I’d rather them focus on updating that than computer integration.

I think you’re on point, Daren, with the question of what to focus on.

I think I’ll get a lot of use out of Overbridge, but would I rather see them focus on firmware updates? Yes, definitely. So much small stuff that would really make a difference in the composition process.

I do like Elektron a lot. For my purposes, the Elektron method is so great I’m now exclusively Elektron, but there’s room for improvement, for sure.

I keep hoping elektron will make some external fx, kind of how moog have branched out in to fx. Taking their aesthetic and approach to processing in to a new terrain.

I keep hoping elektron will make some external fx, kind of how moog have branched out in to fx. Taking their aesthetic and approach to processing in to a new terrain.

I know it’s not like stomp boxes, but Octatrack? That kind of takes processing in to a new terrain. That crossfader!

I know it’s not like stomp boxes, but Octatrack? That kind of takes processing in to a new terrain. That crossfader!

ha, everyone i mention the idea to says that :wink: Having owned an octatrack i agree is is a fantastic sound mangler, but i think elektron could do more specific effects. Dont have to be stompboxes, perhaps something more desktop orientated like a kaoss pad, t resonator or new OTO stuff (talking of, any sign of them at namm?)

Easier to use than the OT, but with some depth and focussed on being a live processor rather than a sample mangler.

Could do one with their reverb and delays in it (lots of people seem to like the A4 reverb), a ring modulator, some kind of filterbank. All with perhaps a crossfader to do the OT thing between different presets. Priced under $500 i think a lot of people would be interested in getting some elektron vibe to go with their hardware setups but have been put off by the overload of features / long learning curve on the OT

ha, everyone i mention the idea to says that :wink: Having owned an octatrack i agree is is a fantastic sound mangler, but i think elektron could do more specific effects. Dont have to be stompboxes, perhaps something more desktop orientated like a kaoss pad, t resonator or new OTO stuff (talking of, any sign of them at namm?)

Easier to use than the OT, but with some depth and focussed on being a live processor rather than a sample mangler.

Could do one with their reverb and delays in it (lots of people seem to like the A4 reverb), a ring modulator, some kind of filterbank. All with perhaps a crossfader to do the OT thing between different presets. Priced under $500 i think a lot of people would be interested in getting some elektron vibe to go with their hardware setups but have been put off by the overload of features / long learning curve on the OT

WORD! ya really looking forward to those OTO boxes. I just remembered that they are supposed to be releasing BIm in Feb/Mar and the rest in Mar/Apr. So, soon enough!

Yeah that Elektron fx box/mixer idea has been asked for a lot, but I guess the Mc Millan thing and to a lesser extent the new Roland mixer have heard what the market wants first.

I suppose Overbridge does add value to their products, but if you don’t use a computer for music then not really needed.

While I’m whinging about Elektron, why have they not sorted the forum yet to be compatible with iOS, I’m no web wizard but this is just plain bad design.

^Yeah, the site is a pain. You can scroll the sidebar, but it scrolls the opposite way as normal web pages do on iOS.

I’d like to add to this the nice feature of having to tap on links twice on Elektronauts for some damn reason…

Oh Korg…

http://www.korg.com/us/news/2015/012212/
Nutube

Hmmm. Looks kinda cool. But besides that, is it any good?

Don't get me wrong I love the A4 and Octatrack, but do find that the sequencers are letting them down a bit, I guess I'd rather them focus on updating that than computer integration.
Well I think Overbridge was really something users were expecting.
To further edit a track and get something "final", it seems somehow you need this extra computer step.
I think it's a good move : building some hardware to replace this mastering step would be something too big I guess.

BTW : what would be such a piece of gear like ?

slightly OT...is it true that the A4 and Rytm don't send midi output from the sequencers?

seems like a huge miss right there if so

The Analog line does not sequence MIDI. At all. And people have been asking for it since the A4 dropped. Very sad.

Also:

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2015/01/details-on-social-entropys-new-engine.html

That Engine looks pretty nifty, shame it’s monophonic per part though

@krisM is that Vacuum tube something that can be installed into the new Electribe’s?

@krisM is that Vacuum tube something that can be installed into the new Electribe's?

Think smaller. 2% of power usage means battery powered gear with tubes. Volcas, Mini Kaoss pads, inline guitar preamps, etc

Well I think Overbridge was really something users were expecting.
To further edit a track and get something "final", it seems somehow you need this extra computer step.
I think it's a good move : building some hardware to replace this mastering step would be something too big I guess.

That’s what’s holding me back from an A4… I really want to be totally free of computer :frowning:

That Engine looks pretty nifty, shame it's monophonic per part though

@KrisM, very interesting. Would be good to compare it against the BeatStep Pro…