Tp-7

It’s really incredible. Just Stunning! It sure reminds me of the Nagra SN! I think the scrubbing is the “reel disk motor” just like a reel to reel tape or vinyl record. Or maybe it’s just that rocker toggle mechanism.

Nagra SN

1 Like

I talked to some of them at Superbooth and have some videos of using the device. Nagra was one of the references, I think some Sony microcassette recorders too. There is no A-B loop feature, which they could easily add with the buttons on the right side, not to mention that many 30€ recorders have it, ans there is no repeat track in a play mode as an option, which could technically mask its absence, it being a standard since Discmans, speaking of portable players. The internal speaker is embarrassingly quiet. “The loop is a number one feature request.” a rep said. From a holding it perspective, it’s love at the first touch. When I mentioned it being too expensive, one of them, a certain Amanda, just said in a deadpan voice “well, maybe it’s not for you”. It works superbly as the smallest digital turntable for mixing any kind of material. Some kind of overdubbing and voice memo differences in recording, didn’t take photos of all the manual pages. I wonder if the printed manual is already online, as they had it boxed as it will be shipped, with printed manual booklet etc

2 Likes

My favourite trivia is the first TP7 google search result, in my case at least, a certain Tap Portugal flight, flight nr TP7, forgot to where from Lisbon, could be Natal

this was published one week ago

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking that ALL recordings made with the unit will be filed according to the time/date, and that you can’t retitle inside the tp-7, only if you export-rename in Mac etc-import back into device?

If so, you’ll need the field-notebook as well to jot down/reference.

2 Likes

For the field notebook you’ll certainly need the field desk to rest it on, otherwise you may struggle with your field pencil, which you sharpened with your field-desk-attached field pencil sharpener, next to your field tape holder.

4 Likes

:rofl:
It might be wise for the design bods to start work on a field chair soon…

Great to hear some insight; id love to know exactly what models influenced them.

im really hoping a-b looping comes very soon after release as as you said its a standard feature for most field recorders, not to mention the user buttons on the right side were names a and b buttons in the fcc images so its definitely coming. pocket ob-4!

and yeah once that comes omissions like lack of repeat mode will be less of an issue, however one feature they really should add for music library mode is shuffle play; for me this would be an essential feature for that use case

once those features are there it would be near perfect for me

1 Like

As TP-7 is using whisper from open ai, I imagine an upcoming fonction could be the use of splitter.ai or something similar. This will be a key fonction on this kind of device :exploding_head:

3 Likes

TP-7 phone app is now released!

2 Likes

any word on connectivity possibilities with the new TX-6 firmware? I see how the TP-7 can plug directly into the TX-6 via USB for one, but I’d want to use TP-7 and TX-6 on a USB hub with an iphone or mac (for AUM/Ableton multi in and out, with the new TX-6 12-in/12-out update) and I can’t figure out how that would work yet. thanks

I’ll look into how easily I can get a 3rd party iOS/macOS app (as in, making one) to read those files and manage them more automatically. I’ll get the TP-7 if it’s financed by an app. I already researched how to make an app for the OB-4 (and probably OD-11) but worried about it being a weird bluetooth protocol. open access files are an invitation to manipulate/extend.

1 Like

iOS (16 and earlier, correction by whnfrdn below) is very limited, in that you can only select one device as both an input and an output, unlike desktop where there are ways to select different devices for each.

I think the main advantage to the TP-7’s multi track recording with the TX-6 is working away from a DAW or computer. A hub might work when the host end is connected to whichever of the two devices is supposed to play host, but then routing might become such an issue. Bluetooth seems to be the elegant solution for midi control of the TX-6.

With either a desktop OS or an iPad, the TX-6 is already a multi-track interface that can be leveraged in several DAW, recording, and app routing scenarios.

But this makes me sad that the TX-6 might not get a multitrack recording update, but we never know until we get it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iOS 17 gains multi audio input selection but apps need to implement it. Logic Pro already did this and then Apple is making it available to devs next. After reading the manual I see I need to wait on iOS 17 and app devs (or myself to implement).

1 Like

if you beat TE to some kind of sample management system (delete, order, export via bluetooth) for the OB-4, you will forever be adored!

2 Likes

Wow that email yesterday…
For a second I was thinking the tp-7 was on its way .

1 Like

Quite interesting to see the TE team explaining the field series, with some surprising response to the… “is there an OP-Z Field coming” question. As Oora said on his video.

1 Like

The first clips appeared on YouTube. It is coming.
It sounds great super slowed down looping

1 Like

Any info on MIDI yet? None in manual. I read that it can be used as a MIDI controller. I’d like to have it control AUv3s via BTLE instead of its own audio or in combination.