Tp-7

Anyone receive shipping confirmation yet? I noticed a second drop from TE about a week ago and I vaguely recall seeing “ready to ship” before those units were snatched up.

I wish. Eagerly waiting for 18 days. Still a lot of days till 45 days :grimacing:

Yeah, I think the op-1 field shipped a month after ordering on release day, arrived within two. Thanks for the reply. Be sure to post once you get that notification.

I ordered within minutes of the email while it was still “in stock”. Still waiting for it to ship.

Just got mine (preordered from Chicago Music Exchange). Very sleek, but my speaker doesn’t work. Tragic. Guess I’ll email them about it.

Nice to hear that you received it. Sucks about the speaker. What are your thoughts about the device so far (speaker aside) and what if any other devices have you paired it with? So curious about this thing.

Why is the TP-7 24-bit and both the OP-F & TX-6 32-bit?

the tx-6 is actually only 24bit. op-1f is the only one thats 32bit.

1 Like

Bit depth matters only when you’re mixing, mastering or applying certain effects. For playback, there is practically no difference between 16 and 24 bit depth. Music CDs are 16-bit.

The thing that is 32-bit on OP-1 Field is the processing path. The samples that ship with it are 16-bit AIFs and the album files it spits out are 16-bit PCM.

It’s kind of ironic that OP-1F effects (that are still super-noisy) are applied with 32-bit precision. It’s also ironic that tapes are stored in 32-bit PCM files and yet people opt into “tape emulation” that simulates (primarily) various kinds of bit depth reduction.

3 Likes

cheers for the excellent explanation :pray:

Got mine on Wednesday. Love it. Will keep it.

1 Like

I actually use the memo feature a lot more than I thought I would -

5 Likes

A few visual slices from a field trip I made yesterday, recording rains, trains and other assortments of ambience -

2 Likes

I got mine.
that’s a really really nice recorder.

The good sides :

the design is incredible.
The form factor is so cute.
Built quality very impressive.
The ergonomic is very smart and handy.
Files management is easy with a laptop.
I don’t have a TX-6 but 6 stereo tracks recording is crazy.

For the not so good sides :

the edit function is not so well documented.
I thought it was more about slicing the recordings but it seems to be more about overdubs & multitrack management. That’s very basic.

It would have been nice to have two mics for stereo field mic recording. Mono recording is a little bit frustrating.
TE, we need a simple stereo mic to plug in it.

I didn’t find any use of the midi BLE. The OP1-f see the TP-7 but nothing happens between the two.
Future updates ?

2 Likes

My use case is that I record a lot of ideas for songs. Will this work in the context of file management?

I might record 10 takes for a song called “Want to Be With You”, but then I might switch to a song called “Take You There”, and then some takes for another song called “Hate You”

Is there any good way that TP-7 manages all these different takes or do all the takes just show up lumped together in a timestamp and we have to dig through each one to find what we want?

1 Like

Each take is its own file, but they’re all organised in the order you record them.

The TP-7 seems to recognise folder structures, when I made a library of samples and transferred them over to the TP-7, but it’s so basic, it won’t do what you want.

However, the fact that it’s even there, albeit rudimentary, might mean a simple navigation interface might be coming. The interaction points for moving in and out of menues is well implemented and I can easily see that transfer to folder navigation as well.

First attempt at a real track where the TP-7 is front and center -

All takes, including field recordings of the rain and wind, were made with the TP-7. The piano is all the same take, but recorded multiple times onto the TP-7 through various Chase Bliss pedals. This was just a collection of ideas and just a basic notion of where the track was going.

After that, all takes were recorded from the TP-7 onto the OP-1 Field’s four tracks for song construction and some additional layering. This is where I actually built the song.

And then, the four OP-1 tracks went back into the TP-7, from where I then multitracked the damn lot through the TX-6 and back onto the OP-1 Field’s vintage reel. This is what I would call the part where I actually mixed and mastered the song.

From there, I made some live tweaks while recording the track onto the OP-1’s Side A album. And that’s it, really.

5 Likes

Wow. This sounds great, and is an awesome summary of workflow.

I’m looking forward to when my TP-7 comes to try something like this. Given I work at 1010music, my primary recording workhorse is the bluebox, but this opens up some interesting travel possibilities, and my wife is planning our autumn vacation even as we speak (hopefully the money I spent on my TP-7 does not preclude whatever she was planning!)

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Haha yes, there’s always the spouse approval factor to consider :slight_smile:

In terms of features, the bluebox remains a very clear and present choice over the TP-7 if you’re just looking at it as a recorder and mixer in one box. But there’s something going on with the way it’s done in the TP-7 that makes me use it all the time, every day, right now. And it does have the foundations for powerful USB streaming, which I know you’ve heard to death now and don’t wanna hear again, but yeah, USB streaming isn’t a 1010 thing (yet, right? :slight_smile: )