Tp-7

Magnificent.
Thanks for sharing. Both the track and workflow.
What an amazing way to create. And what result. Beautiful. It’s ambiant, but it’s not. There’s bit of classical and then there’s bits of foley too.
An invitation to imagination. A contemplation on creation.
Love it.
Only problem : now, we want more.

Thanks for sharing.
What a sonic trip.

1 Like

Man, you made my week. And it’s only getting started. Thank you for that. That is so kind of you to say and share. I didn’t really think much of the track but I’m glad to hear someone disagrees in such a lovely way.

1 Like

Well, words coming from the heart.
My pregnant wife loved it too.
It makes me wanna go grab my op1f and record the world. Like, the whole world.
Thanks for sharing. Inspiring af.

1 Like

Found this old drawing I made three years ago. Dreaming about a synth/sequencer/recorder based on the OP-Z design and those micro cassette voice recorders. Looks like the TP-7 is something similar and I‘m looking forward to test it at some point.

3 Likes

Thank you. And congrats on the child. I got three myself. Best three things I’ve ever made.

1 Like

Here’s another one, I went about a little differently this time -

First, I recorded from the OP-1 Field, a piano lead into a Blooper. I used some Blooper fx to process it, then recorded that into the TP-7. The remaining pads were also from the Field, either directly into the TP-7 or through a Chase Bliss Habit first. And finally, I went out and recorded some wind with the TP-7.

Then, all of that went into the OP-1 Field for song writing, and each track from the OP-1 recorded separately back to the TP-7 when I was done with the song. After mixing and mastering through the TX-6 back into the Field, I then added a final drum layer onto a tape track, and that became the song I rendered onto the OP-1’s album feature.

2 Likes

Teenage Engineering OP-1 field review, not a review: in the field, on an album - CDM Create Digital Music.

Gotta ask. If I’m not mistaken, this is your review of the OP1f, right?

I’m asking because the last part of the article is what triggered the OP1f purchase for me. Plain and simple.
And I just had an « Oh Snap! » moment looking at the blonde hair on the Soundcloud preview.

If this article is yours indeed, then thank you again. And again.
The tracks there are beautiful. I mean it. But what got me was the part where you just said the op1f made you reconnect. Exactly what’s happening to me at the moment.

So yeah. Thanks for the kind words. Thanks for the magical tracks. Thanks for the inspiration.
As the say elsewhere : you, sir, are the real MVP here.

1 Like

Keep ‘em coming.
This one is playful and warm. Like watching a spark starting a fire. Loved every second of it.

:slight_smile:

USB audio software development should be a crime under the Geneva Convention.

My TP-7 should be coming from Perfect Circuit any day now. I expect that it will probably replace my Sony PCM-D100 for casual (but perhaps not serious) field recording, and get me doing voice memos a lot more, as you’ve discovered. Voice memos on a phone are awful.

I get the whole “use all the time, every day” now. I’m assuming it’ll likely turn into that for me, and that the bluebox will remain my desktop/serious jam multitrack recorder.

But it’s great to see what you and other people are doing with it!

3 Likes

Looking forward to hearing about your journey with it :slight_smile:

Hey, yep, that’s me :slight_smile: thank you for the kind words, and I’m very happy to hear that I touched something within you that led to these results. That’s the end goal for any writer, right? If you can change something, within someone, and they come out feeling better for it, then it was all worth it.

1 Like

I know I should be more patient - but has anyone who preordered direct from TE had theirs shipped? Or have only retail units made it to peoples hands so far?

Still waiting impatiently as well :slight_smile:
and it is not nice to see some people have it already without pre ordering.
Something went wrong probably with the delivery schedule. But the 45 days are not over yet. That will be around the 7th of August.

1 Like

Well, now.

Audio coming soon.

3 Likes

Can’t wait.

Curious to hear your process on this one, too.

1 Like

The hype is high! The wait is real!
Can’t wait!

What a set-up.

1 Like

And here we are -

So this time, I used the TP-7 as the main tool for composition as well. Not sure that’s a great way to go about it, but it’s certainly commitment to the process. If you think the OP-1 Field is tough on the lack of undos and stuff, the TP-7 is just brutal to use like this.

So I recorded a few sequences from the OP-1 Field into the 1010 blackbox first, and added some of those sweet granular effects, that lovely 1010 filtering and pitch algorithm, which just seems to apply a vintage tape effect all by its own. Essentially, some rough track design.

Once I had it all in the blackbox, the OP-1 being the primary sampled source, I experimented some with the song structure in the blackbox, triggering loops and clips to get some idea of what I wanted the track to be like.

Finally, I did some field recordings with the TP-7 as well, and then I put it all on the six stereo tracks on the TP-7, recording from the blackbox and nature itself.

The improvisations and experimentation from the blackbox guided me through the recording onto the TP-7, which became the real composition process. I layered each track, one by one. Listened by ear to get some idea where I’d put the next one, recorded that one where I figured it should start, and kept doing this for all tracks minus the nature stuff through the microphone, which I just had running from start to finish. The only way I could change anything, was to re-record one take entirely. Which I did a few times.

After that, all six TP-7 tracks went through the TX-6. Some eq, the TX-6 reverb on two channels, panning and slight filtering, but no compression. The result was recorded onto the OP-1 Vintage Reel, some minor Mother reverb added to the master, no Drive or Release.

6 Likes

the BB algo for time-stretchinggggg really is incredible.

3 Likes

It reminds me a bit of some Kid-A tracks, the ambient side of stuff Radiohead did at some point mid-2000.
This track is a ride. And what a ride.

Gotta say I admire the commitment to the pure workflow. May have been a bit of an effort to get the whole track together…but the track is cosmic.

Love it.
Smells like a TP-7 album is shaping itself !

1 Like

Maybe :slight_smile: still don’t have enough tracks with coherence that I’m happy with, but there might be something cooking here. I think it’s time to bring back the Chase Bliss stuff now, that’s usually when I make something that’s more than just all right.

1 Like