Tp-7

there are certain microphones that do require 5v power
and this power is sent to the mic on the RING of a TRS jack

however TRRS headsets do NOT require power being sent to the headset
there is absolutely no power that runs on the jack to the headset

just a friendly FYI

2 Likes

seems like the standard is to have a bias on the extra trrs contact, through a particular resistance?

https://source.android.com/docs/core/interaction/accessories/headset/jack-headset-spec#general

This is not really true.
Nearly all Headset mics are using electret capsules. They need always a polarisation voltage to work. Therefore every TRRS jack has to provide this voltage [Volt]. The current [Ampere] flow is near zero. Therefore the power [Watt] is near zero aswell.
But still they need this 5V to work.
Please check second section „Plug-in-power“ of this article :

u may be right as well but i was trying to help ppl differentiate between these two schemes
and avoid confusion

when u say “plug in power” for 99% of cases u are referring to this wiring scheme for the TRS jack
TIP = microphone input signal
RING = 5v power
SLEEVE = gnd

and these types of mics that were made to integrate with this scheme

this is what i believe they are referring to in the wiki link u posted
old computer soundcards used to have these types of jacks // schemes.
very common back in the day. not so much anymore. TRRS headset is much more common now.
think of those 90s wand microphones

now a TRRS is setup like this
(sure they are a few slightly different wiring schemes but none of them have a 5v rail on any pole)
TIP = LEFT OUTPUT
RING1 = RIGHT OUTPUT
RING2 = GND
SLEEVE = MICROPHONE INPUT

in this scheme there is no power being sent to the microphone like how plug in power works
this is the message i was trying to convey with my word choices

plug in power and trrs headset are 2 different things basically
if u plug a TRRS headphone & headset into a plug in power type jack it is not going to work
and same for vice versa

words are so easily misconstrued and misinterpreted
its no ones fault. like i said was just trying to help :slight_smile:
maybe i created more confusion, i dunno

right, but what we’re saying is that the sleeve on TRRS headset jacks does provide power

right on i do understand both yall

looking back on my original post
def could have choosen my words better

carry on :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

unrelated: TE has three days till they have to extend their shipping eta again…

1 Like

Plug-in Power and TRRS is not a different thing. The key of Plug-in Power is that 5V is on the same line as the audio signal and then diveded with an RC Filter.

Therefor the TRRS pinning is:

TIP = LEFT OUTPUT
RING1 = RIGHT OUTPUT
RING2 = GND
SLEEVE = MICROPHONE INPUT + 5V PiP

In reality most devices like smartphones, laptops, gaming consols just provide a voltage of 1.5 to 3V and that’s enough for most headsets.

from what I can Google, there is a difference like docshermsticks noted.

“plug-in power” seems to typically use the sleeve as the negative end of the bias, and the tip/ring positive. TRRS headset power does positive bias on the sleeve.

at this point, probably best to table the discussion till someone with a unit can verify exactly what it does…

Have you tried this mic with the TP-7 already? I still have to use the Minidisc for it to work as expected, even though I always keep the battery well charged on it

1 Like

Still waiting for the tp-7.
But it works with the tx-6. So it will work with the Tp-7
It also works with the op-1F.

2 Likes

Got my unit yesterday.

IRL it’s as gorgeous as you’d expect and also the feel is incredible. I want to keep it around literally all day. The ability to record a voice memo with a single button even when the unit is off is pure bliss.

Feature wise it’s all good, except for the baffling lack of a built-in stereo (condenser) mic. I cannot fathom someone sets out to make the ultimate field recorder and then leaves this out. I somehow missed this in the specifications and I’m likely to return the unit over just this.

What doesn’t help is a few QA issues: screen blemishes, flutter in audio playback when the disc is moving, flimsy-feeling power button. Not big issues — except at this luxury price point they do become issues.

4 Likes

Tp-7 arrived
Everything works as advertised .
No defects I was a little bit afraid after all the horror stories, but I am very happy.
Recordings sounds great.
And the wheel is very smooth and fun when using.

2 Likes

Yes, this mono microphone is a serious limitation for a field recorder.
The TP-7 would have been near perfect…

I get flutter from the wheel as well, but I have let it play some high quality WAV files for several hours one day and I no longer notice warbling/flutter at all. Initially some folks suggested this was due to magnets near the rocker, but it appears that minor bumps while the wheel is spinning will cause it to flutter, so it needs to be on a stable/stationary table while rotating. I’m hoping a firmware update comes relatively soon that allows us to modify the wheel’s sensitivity.

I have zero problems with the buttons clicking at the start of recording though, IMO it’s a non-issue because every use case I personally have for it will allow for me to modify the audio files themselves.

2 Likes

In regards to clicks on recordings, can you outline some of your use cases where you modify the audio?

Using the three input/outputs as outputs for 1 track per output to three portable speakers is magic.
The three outputs have their own track and the Tp-7’s own speaker has the full mix.
The record this with. Stereo mic into the op-1f.
Spacious bliss

4 Likes

today’s the last day of their delayed estimate… time to see if they push the date out again

1 Like

SHIPPING NOTIFICATION!

just barely meeting their delayed ship statement, so I can’t be mad

2 Likes

I got mine about a week ago via Perfect Circuit (it shipped earlier, but I was out of town and couldn’t sign for it.). It’s great. I think you’ll really like it. Worth the wait.

1 Like