Tp-7

finally got my units. full review can be seen here:

6 Likes

Getting comfortable with the TP-7 in my workflow, this one came from a collection of storm ambience, as the rain and wind came down on our home -

Once the storm had passed and the kids went out to play in the streams and pools that emerged, those sounds became the ambient foundation for this track. So I made a few takes with those sounds on the TP-7.

Then, I recorded the piano lead in one take, using the microphone, not line in, to get a certain room-ish vibe to the sound. I ran that through the Chase Bliss GenLossMKII into the OP-1, with a slight pitch shift from the TP-7 (I really like the pitch algorithm in this one) and then added the ambience on top of it. I tapped the TP-7 recording wheel from time to time, to get that cut tape feeling.

The textures and beat-like things you hear, were done on an OP-Z in four layers. Each layer was recorded at its own tempo into the TP-7, so it’s four different BPM’s and performance effects layered into its own four-track thing in the TP-7. I mixed the result in the TX-6 and that became the fourth and last stereo track into the OP-1 Field.

Final master was done when I moved all four OP-1 tracks back onto the TP-7 and then mixed on the TX-6. I added a fifth layer, an effect loop where the piano went through a Chase Bliss CXM 1978 and to its own track, not to add reverb to the actual piano but to become its own thing. So the slight hint of a choir you hear, that’s the CXM sort of “singing” along with the piano. Sort of.

And yeah. That was the song.

5 Likes

that glitch when you turn it on is pretty concerning. still an issue for you?

1 Like

yeah i got an RMA and i’m returning it. the issue persisted, and no way i am keeping a unit like that even if the price was minus one zero…

2 Likes

Good. what a relief. Seemed like a bad chip :confused:

Shipping confirmation :hugs:. For Europe NL. Looking forward to finally using this apparatus.

3 Likes

Someone opened it up over on eBay-

9 Likes

brushless motor! thank goodness it’s not brushed like the TE website’s copy says

2 Likes

Well it seems they also noticed and corrected it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oh lol that was within the last hour; I had checked when I sent my message

3 Likes

It seems like a huge oversight to make a field recorder that disallows anyone to use external condenser microphones. TE says using phantom powered microphones will damage the unit. The internal microphone is fine but the jog wheel is audible on quiet recordings made with it… it seems an external mic is crucial in using the device to make clean recordings. Is anyone using external microphones? Does anyone know of a good non-phantom-powered stereo mic that can be used with this? At this price point it’s crazy to me that the jog wheel is audible and that it really can’t be used as a standalone recorder for clean and quiet field recordings

2 Likes

Yeah I keep getting button clicks on my recordings from starting the recording :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Do you hear the jog wheel on recordings?

Luckily the wheel,can be turned off. It is in the manual.
So when recording quietly turn it off.
I still got a Sony mic from my minidisc days in the 90ies
Sony ECM-MS907. It is powered by a AA battery. And it is stereo.90/120 degree width

2 Likes

i didn’t hear any wheel on my recordings. but there are 3 modes for the wheel in the menu. in one mode the wheel turns for recording and playback and scrubs during playback. in another mode the wheel only turns and scrubs during playback. and in the third mode the wheel never turns or scrubs.

1 Like

Thank you I don’t know how I missed that you can turn the wheel off… the external mic scenario is still a mystery… why on earth would you not allow people to use condenser mics with a field recorder?

read carefully—the TP-7 will be damaged if a phantom power input is connected. (that’s par for the course; line-level i/o aren’t too happy with 48V…)

Yea it’s still not compatible with condenser mics (i.e. devices that expect to receive phantom power) but it won’t be damaged. (just won’t provide the 12/24/48V the mic wants)
I wouldn’t want that out of a 3.5mm jack anyway, for risk of plugging that voltage into any other line level device.

The TP-7 doesn’t do the 5V power some mics are designed for either. But I don’t think general condenser mics work well with that? Just the ones intended for it.

1 Like

also fwiw the internal mic seems like it’s meant for memo mode, which default records lower quality audio files. so fidelity wasn’t their top priority for memo mode :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I‘m pretty sure that TP-7 has 5V plugin-power. How else can the mic of a headset be used? Headsets typically use condenser mics that require 5V.
So i assume you can put TP-7 into headset mode and then you have 3 mic inputs and 3 outputs simultaneously.
You will need an adapter if you want to use separate mic and headphone, or use heasdets with TRRS.

2 Likes

huh I guess you’re right, somehow i never thought too hard about how the ubiquitous trrs headphone mics work, but they do supply power